What do you HONESTLY think?

f a m o u s

ok, so i wanted to know what you all honestly think of me. I am from iran and its like ever since i moved to canada 4 years ago, whenever people ask me where i am from (cause i have a crazy persian/farsi accent) and i tell them i am iranian its like they totally dispise of me after that. I think its because of the whole reputation middle eastern people have right now, like with the wars, terrist attacks, the taliban, etc. i think im a pretty likeable person
smiles.gif
but its just like they automatically assume that im some wierd foregin person... even when people here my name, Juno they are like "wtf?" its like they are afraid of me. people at my school dont really care because they know me and i have a TON of friends but other people, especially adults are so critical. so yeaa, i dont know why peopleare sooo judgemental and steriotypical!!

RedRibbon

If people assume you're not worth knowing based on how you sound then they're the people not worth knowing and you're too good for them anyway.

MissMarley

One of my closest friends since childhood is Iranian. His first name is Hossain. People have treated him like they treat you for years. Just remember that not everyone is like that. There will be stupid, prejudiced people everywhere you go. You have to rise above them and keep your dignity. The people who ignore society's prejudices and get to you know you for yourself are the ones who matter.

gildedangel

Not everyone is like that, two of my friends from college are Iranian and everyone really likes them. They are really open about it too. The people who judge you on where you are from are not people worth associating with.
smiles.gif

dietcokeg

i know how u feel, iam egyptian and iam a muslim and i live in ireland. their are some very ignorant people out their but u hv 2 remember for everybad person their are 20 good ones. as everyone said rise above it. never b ashamed of ur culture or who u are and if people cant handle that i feel sorry for them being so narrow minded. surrond urself with poisitve people, dont waste ur time with people trying to tell u how ur people are the cause of every problem in the world - i get that alot, just keep ur head held high and keep moving.

Shadowy Lady

sweetie, where in Ontario do you live? I'm Iranian too and live in Ottawa, Canada and yet have to meet someone who treated me badly because of my ethnicity. I've lived in Canada for a long time though (since I was 10) and don't have much of an accent. But I haven't heard of recent Iranian immigrants having encountered any problems either.

My advice is, the ppl that would judge you based on your origins aren't worth your attention. Try to focus your energy in becoming a useful member of the society you live in. There would be a day you look back and laugh at these ppl instead of being annoyed.

I hope that one day our beautiful homeland will be free from the rule of the fanatics so no Iranian will have to go through this prejudice
smiles.gif

f a m o u s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
sweetie, where in Ontario do you live? I'm Iranian too and live in Ottawa, Canada and yet have to meet someone who treated me badly because of my ethnicity. I've lived in Canada for a long time though (since I was 10) and don't have much of an accent. But I haven't heard of recent Iranian immigrants having encountered any problems either.

My advice is, the ppl that would judge you based on your origins aren't worth your attention. Try to focus your energy in becoming a useful member of the society you live in. There would be a day you look back and laugh at these ppl instead of being annoyed.

I hope that one day our beautiful homeland will be free from the rule of the fanatics so no Iranian will have to go through this prejudice
smiles.gif

i'm from sudbury ontario

FiestyFemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylard
people are just ignorant. ignore it =/ theres nothing wrong with being iranian

ITA. I think it's really wrong to base your perception of an individual on what a small group of individuals (who are obviously very radical) have done. I don't want to be judged based on my ethnicity, and I wouldn't do it to anyone else either. It's always what's on the inside that counts! I'm sorry that people treat you that way. I have a friend who's Lebanese, and he and his family always seem to be treated differently by people. It's not fair at all.

Mabelle

Oh, i'm sorry your meeting such jerks.
I think sometimes middle aged people (not all obviously) tend to jump to conclusions about race and like to box people in. I know my dad does it. They are scared and confused, and to them, everything leads back to race. Especially uptight white christians (just my opinion!! again , my dad!). Don't let them bother you. Honestly, i feel bad for them! They are the ones missing out in life. Just tell them to piss off. Anyone that doesn't want to get to know you based on where you were born is not worth knowing. I'm sad to say that my dad is often included in this category. But he's from a different time, with different life experiences, and... well it's hard to teach an older dog new tricks.

Either way, welcome to Canada! I hope your happy here and feel at home.
We're a land of immigrants (like the U.S.), and i'm very very proud to say that.

LMD84

wow - i still can't believ how shitty some people are!

don't worry hun because at least your friends know what a great person you are. and even though there are plenty of shitty people i promice you there are nice ones out there too. try and ignore the gits who make you feel upset. it's crazy that they can be so closed minded and judge people before knowing them
ssad.gif

User35

Hmm what do I honestly think of you ??

you're prolly a really cool gal, I think you need to realize ppl are fucking STUPID and will judge anyone not like themselves.

People suck...thats pretty much the moral of my story.

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by f a m o u s
i'm from sudbury ontario

well, I guess that sorta explains it. Sudbury is a smaller town. It could just be that they're not used to ppl of different background. I hear it used to be like this in Ottawa 30 years ago or so. But now it's so mixed that no one cares about race and stuff anymore.

BEA2LS

don't let them get to you - there are jerks everywhere, it's sad but true
ssad.gif

like others say, if others judge you before they even know you, do not let it get to you.. they aren't worth it.

Birgit

I live in a small village in the Netherlands people here can be so f... rude! My bf is Spanish and they dont even talk to him. I find that everybody deserves a fair change despite what color they are or where the're from.

blazeno.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
well, I guess that sorta explains it. Sudbury is a smaller town. It could just be that they're not used to ppl of different background. I hear it used to be like this in Ottawa 30 years ago or so. But now it's so mixed that no one cares about race and stuff anymore.

Yeah, I've had problems with xenophobia coming from small towns in other countries before and I think it's just that: some are not used to people of different backgrounds. It's annoying, true, but I usually try to spend my time somewhere else if that's the case. If I'm in a position where I don't have money to travel about then I just stay at home and develop some skill or trade.

Skin*Deep

this thread made me realize how many different people from different places are on this site! the internet makes the world very small doesn't it?

Latest posts