What do you HONESTLY think?

marisol24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRibbon
If people assume you're not worth knowing based on how you sound then they're the people not worth knowing and you're too good for them anyway.

I agree. Their ignorance shouldn't bother you(OP). Learn from their behavior and just know never to act like that lol.

ForgetRegret

You want to know the honest truth? It makes me sad that you're encountering such ignorance. I see that it's difficult for people with very thick foreign accents to begin with (I still don't understand why people decide that foreign accent = stupid, and requires them to shout at the person. WTF?), but you add in the fact that you're Iranian (or from any part of the world closely surrounding it), and you get lumped in with the extremists, and labeled as one of "those" people. It's sad and pathetic. Those who judge you based on your accent and/or culture are just ignorant, and should be completely ashamed of themselves.
For me it all boils down to just being a decent human being. I don't care what religion you are, if you're religious, spiritual, or worship a damn ham sandwich, if you're a good, kind person, then I'll be a good, kind person in return. The idiots who don't give you the time to get to know you on a personal level before they go and make judgments are just that; idiots. Like the other girls have said, they're not worth knowing, so in a way, you can kind of be grateful of their outward ignorance, because you don't have to waste your time getting to know them, and realizing later that they don't deserve your friendship.
th_hug.gif
We love you, and won't judge you because of your background, hair color, skin color, or anything else ridiculous like that.

Ohhh if Specktra ruled the world...wouldn't it be a much happier place?

ForgetRegret

^^ That's exactly my point...a good friend of mine, for instance, is Indian. His parents left India, moved to Australia for a few years, then came here to the states, so my friend has no accent to speak of, but his parents still have quite a thick accent. People get angry and upset with his parents, but don't ever seem to have a problem with him because he sounds as though he "belongs" here. It's sad...
...and if I were a betting girl, I'd bet it was your father who had the problem with others..?

ForgetRegret

Quote:
Originally Posted by frocher
^Bingo. My father had the problems (that was a tough one right, lol). At his job he was always treated with respect. But in some shops or restaurants we would go into, people would be rude and act as if they couldn't understand him. If he can go and argue cases in court asshole, and everyone understands him, including the stenographer, I think you can understand him when he ordered ham on rye! People that were not even in my father's profession would say to his face that they didn't have a job because my father had taken it from them. Some individuals can be ridiculous, and are best avoided.

Oh yes...it was a very tough decision to come to...my little brain is now fried. LOL It's just sad and pathetic that people act that way...you know, like I said before, I know it can be hard to understand people sometimes when they have heavy accents, but if you just listen, and think about what they're saying, you can usually come up with whatever word or two you might not get. Personally, I always feel a little embarrassed when I can't understand someone, and I apologize for it and ask them to repeat what they've said a bit slower. Sometimes I feel guilty, but I'd rather be sure of what they're saying than just pretend I know, because then when you respond inappropriately, you look like a jerk because you didn't care to listen.
nonono.gif

Kazzii-Loves-MA

They sound abit ignorant to the fact that there are black and white, people from all different countries, with different accents and skintones. if you have quite alot of friends at school id focus on them because they have the time of day to be nice to someone. treat people how you like to be treated is what i always say and if they are treating you horribly dont worry about them and move on hunny. nevermind them, theres plently more people to be friends with out there.

JULIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by f a m o u s
i'm from sudbury ontario

What the french. I'm from Sudbury too, and I don't know ANYONE who would treat another person like this. You must have been talking to some super special snowflakes.

JULIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
well, I guess that sorta explains it. Sudbury is a smaller town. It could just be that they're not used to ppl of different background. I hear it used to be like this in Ottawa 30 years ago or so. But now it's so mixed that no one cares about race and stuff anymore.

We're bigger than Barrie...Our city is actually made of many different cultures so it's nothing ~new~ to us. It's funny, because the people of Sudbury are super nice people (except some of our stupid teenagers :\). You just get some ignorant douches who watch too much CNN, but that happens in every city.

BEA2LS

Racism makes me sad, I hate when people are judge or assumed to be a certain way because of their background, and that goes for anyone.

slowdownbaby

You just have to ignore them. Racist people aren't worth your time. Two of my best friends are both immigrants and they are the most interesting, intelligent, good and beautiful persons that I know... The color of our skin isn't our identity, people just have to get over them selfs...

Just remember these words by Robert J. Sawyer: "Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace"

Nox

1. No one has any control over where they are born.

2. There is nothing wrong with being Iranian.

3. You do not represent the entirety of Iran, you are only one individual.

4. The entirety of Iran should not be painted in a completely bad light. It's unfair.

AmandDUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRibbon
If people assume you're not worth knowing based on how you sound then they're the people not worth knowing and you're too good for them anyway.

took the words out of my mouth!

Ursula

I'm so sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. Unfortunately, many people are either to ignorant or too lazy to know any better. I wish we could see people for who they are inside. What an amazing insight they would have. No matter where a person comes from, they have the same things as everyone else: people they love, dreams for their lives, burdens, joys, frustrations, emotion, failure and victory. I hope that you can be confident that no matter how someone else reacts to you, you are valued by your Creator and special.

L1LMAMAJ

stereotypes are what's gonna make hate live on. people should learn to get to know the people before judging. the sad truth is, most people are too ignorant to even give others a chance. and when you find those people that love you and accept you for the good person you are, then those are your real friends. you can care less about these random ass people that are too quick to judge.

reem2790

this is actually sort of ironic to me, iran is a place where the youth is evolving faster than any other place in the world, where the people are fighting for their rights harder than anyone ever has, the only issue iran has is its government, and it's government is HIGHLY opposed by the people, but here's the kicker. Dumb, stupid, ignorant pieces of you know what who like to be racist.....arent educated! ding ding ding! and those who are...arent intellectual! because if you knew anything about what the youth of iran is going through (especially with this past election-hello NEDA!! she didnt die in vain, people!) then you would embrace them wholey, especially as americans, where we argue freedom for the world. i would be so proud of my heritage if i were the OP, because iran has overcome SO much and will never give up. i WISH other countries had people like the iranian people. they have more determination than any other group of people in history.

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem2790
this is actually sort of ironic to me, iran is a place where the youth is evolving faster than any other place in the world, where the people are fighting for their rights harder than anyone ever has, the only issue iran has is its government, and it's government is HIGHLY opposed by the people, but here's the kicker. Dumb, stupid, ignorant pieces of you know what who like to be racist.....arent educated! ding ding ding! and those who are...arent intellectual! because if you knew anything about what the youth of iran is going through (especially with this past election-hello NEDA!! she didnt die in vain, people!) then you would embrace them wholey, especially as americans, where we argue freedom for the world. i would be so proud of my heritage if i were the OP, because iran has overcome SO much and will never give up. i WISH other countries had people like the iranian people. they have more determination than any other group of people in history.

You know this thread is kinda old, but thank you so much for your comment, the 10-year old Iranian kid inside me is so proud
smiles.gif
I wanted to say the same to the OP but didn't want to go into much details. Iranian ppl have suffered so much under their government and have been fighting for years to collapse it (this only became international news since June election). Ppl have died (my own uncle was executed by this regime), ppl have been jailed, raped...and when they leave Iran so they can live free they have to encounter racism and wrong stereotypes from some uneducated ppl
ssad.gif

I'm glad that there are ppl like you who know both sides of the story, it really is refreshing
smiles.gif

reem2790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
You know this thread is kinda old, but thank you so much for your comment, the 10-year old Iranian kid inside me is so proud
smiles.gif
I wanted to say the same to the OP but didn't want to go into much details. Iranian ppl have suffered so much under their government and have been fighting for years to collapse it (this only became international news since June election). Ppl have died (my own uncle was executed by this regime), ppl have been jailed, raped...and when they leave Iran so they can live free they have to encounter racism and wrong stereotypes from some uneducated ppl
ssad.gif

I'm glad that there are ppl like you who know both sides of the story, it really is refreshing
smiles.gif

most informed college kids are exactly like me in these opinions, i think it's all about who you surround yourself with, I've loved every Iranian I've met
smiles.gif
the regime change back in 79 brought on an amazing revolution but our generation is so much more capable. i'm excited and scared to see what the outcome will be. i love Iranian youth because they know the history of their people and they're just awesome. literally awesome. if others had that spunk there would never be hardships for people.

f a m o u s

Thanks for all of your comments everyone
smiles.gif
i really apreachiate (lol bad spelling:p) them all and its really a confidence boost
smiles.gif
im so happy that all of you are so open minded and nice
winks.gif

Latest posts