What do you wear to work?

Tinkee-Belle

I started an office job yesterday and I am curious about what peoples jobs are and how they dress for work. At my job at the bar I wear basically what I would wear clubbing (cute top and shorts or a little dress) except everything has to be black!
ssad.gif
I wear sketchers ballet flats because they are comfy. At my job in my dads office we have a casual dress code which includes jeans. Today I am wearing black and white bermuda shorts with a satin ribbon belt (32 bucks YAY!), a black cami and a ruffly fuchia button up from bebe, and grey patent pumps from Aldo. I have been going crazy buying cute office-y clothes the past few days... it is so fun!
thmbup.gif
The other girls in the office wear jeans and flats but I LOVE dressing up.

Divinity

Damn...I miss looking cute for work. I'm a massage therapist working for a spa and the owner just got us scrubs...SCRUBS! I'm in a pair of friggin' Dickies with enough room in the front for Tommy Lee's junk and a bigger badunkadunk than I'm sporting as well as a circus tent with pockets for a top. Ridiculous. So, I put on my cute clothes for the bus ride to work and back so I can look like a tool when I get there.

widdershins

I feel your pain! I'm still in radiology school so I have to wear scrubs--white shirts and navy pants. I'm ready to get some cuter scrubs at least
tong.gif

Janice

I love to dress up for work too, now that I work from home I am usually in something VERY casual and comfortable since I am just around the house. I use every opportunity I get to dress nicer when I go out for meetings, lunches, and coffee.
smiles.gif
When I dress "up" to go out it's usually (since it's summer) a loose cute top, shorts, flats or gladiator type sandals, and accessories.

mahreez

cool thread...i'm a freelance designer and sometimes i feel i look TOO casual because i usually run a lot of errands then suddenly i get called for appointments etc. maybe i should bring extra clothes just in case.

juicygirl

ya, i have to wear scrubs too since i am an optometric technician. i do miss getting all dressed up and wearing cute clothes to work but i also embrace the scrubs. they're good and comfy when you are having a fat day. also, dickies has some really nice ones that are super cute, like the hip flip collection, it's trendy; the top is small and the pants are flare leg. after 5 years, i guess i am used to it now. i am jealous of you though tinkee-bell. your outfit sounds super hot! jealous.

aeroSOUL

I Looove to wear lady like suits, the cute jackets and the cute capris with heels, my are mainly all black, due to working for MAC and having to wear all black, but i love red, so i just mix in a little red here and there. now that i'm not working, the dress code is gone

MAKExMExUP

I am lucky to work in an office w/ a casual setting...if one day I wanna wear a dress, I will! Jeans, done! A business-y outfit, no problem! Just no shorts or slutty tops allowed. I think I'd feel way too restricted if I had to stick w/ a dress code. I normally wear comfy jeans, capri's, t-shirts, and even flip-flops when I can get away with it -I have no one to impress! lol I did read a rule somewhere "Never dress better than your boss."

Nails

I work in a high end women's fashion store, and as manager I set the bar for my staff. At the moment, it's a mix between 'tough pretty' - girly tops/skirts/dresses with studded accessories and leather jackets or modern suiting. On Friday I wore charcoal striped suit pants with a wide leg cut with a teal basic tee (it was a long basic short sleeved shirt that came down over my hips) and black ankle boots (switched to patterned heels later) plus a soft brown scarf with the long ends hanging down my back for a classic look.

...the scarf was coz I was covered in hickeys ...

However, due to an emergency I had to run in and open the store...in my old leavers jersey, baggy jeans and no bra.

For an office environment, there are SO many cute options that don't require you to look boxy. Choose spunky suits with a sirt and pant option in nice patterns. A lot of suits we sell come with either a high waisted pencil skirt OR a gored knee length skirt with a thick ribbon tie. They're so popular! Also; suit dresses. Especially ones that you can dress up with a wide patent belt that also have a square cut neck line instead of a v-neck. They're so flattering because they frame your face and upper chest without showing off any cleavage. You can also put on a roll neck if you're looking to be very conservative.

Keep in mind that here it's winter so I like sexy layered options at the moment.

Also; here, dressing better than your boss gets you praise, your picture taken and it sent into head office to be featured in our monthly store update - we're part of a large group with a lot of stores in our state area. I love it when the girls raise the bar because it really helps our sales - people trust us to dress them!

vandael

i work for the the US gov in downtown chicago, right in a huge financial district, so i ALWAYS take note of what other women wear. it's business casual at my office, so most of the women just wear dark pants and cute, yet conservative tops. i'm one of the youngest, probably most fashion conscious in the office, so i loooooove experimenting with my look. my favorite outfit for the season is high-waisted black pants with a white or creme button down shirt tucked in. since the weather's always changing, i love to throw in knee-length skirts or flowy tops in the summer... then cute turtlenecks and boots in the winter. but my ultimate favorite work pants are express' editor pants. i have them in almost every color! i always try to dress appropriate for the office, yet cute for anything (like drinks ) afterwards.

Tinkee-Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandael
i work for the the US gov in downtown chicago, right in a huge financial district, so i ALWAYS take note of what other women wear. it's business casual at my office, so most of the women just wear dark pants and cute, yet conservative tops. i'm one of the youngest, probably most fashion conscious in the office, so i loooooove experimenting with my look. my favorite outfit for the season is high-waisted black pants with a white or creme button down shirt tucked in. since the weather's always changing, i love to throw in knee-length skirts or flowy tops in the summer... then cute turtlenecks and boots in the winter. but my ultimate favorite work pants are express' editor pants. i have them in almost every color! i always try to dress appropriate for the office, yet cute for anything (like drinks ) afterwards.

I wanted to try those Express pants and went to the mall in washington today to get them and the Express there closed down! I am not impressed! I might have to buy them online... how do they run? And do they have a long inseam?

Love Always Ivy

im a receptionist at a salon, so i try to dress in business casual (well Express business casual, minus anything cleavage revealing), but really i can wear anything i want that is "trendy" and doesnt involve jeans.

TDoll

I'm an elementary school teacher. I love being able to wear cute clothes and dress up when I feel like it, but also be able to be casual. There aren't too many rules...just depends on what school you work for... But obviously you can't wear anything super short or spaghetti straps...which goes pretty much wherever I've worked in the past anyways. But it's awesome because there are so many options. Sun dresses, bermuda shorts, cute skirts, and capris when its warm. Sweaters, nice jeans and pants with boots in the winter and colder months. I love wearing cute shoes, but keep a pair or bedroom shoes and comfy flats under my desk when I get uncomfortable
smiles.gif

cupcake_x

Unfortunately at the job I just left I had to wear a shirt that said Wings to Go on the front and some adolescent sexual humor joke on the back (like, "You can't beat our meat!", "Get your bowls packed and try a rice bowl", "Fast and easy!", etc)

I'm dying for a job that I can wear nice clothes

burtnyks

Its interesting reading the replies to this thread. I work for an automotive supplier as an engineer. We have about 700 people in my building and its funny how you can pick out what department people are in by how they dress even though we are business casual. I would say the company I work for currently is a little more uptight than others.....

The HR girls are always dressed really nice in business suits, then from there I would say that the Finance and Purchasing women are the next "best dressed". Not always suits, but skirts and nice tops. Then there are the rest of the people like myself in Engineering, Software, Quality, etc that dress fairly casual. I typically wear a nice button down shirt or sweater with dress pants or khakis. My good friend in Software and I are probably the most "trendy" with our outfits and definitely our makeup! :) If there is a meeting with a customer I will normally dress up more than normal and do neutral makeup. I've pretty much found that if someone has a big desire to move up in the company its reflected in their clothing. This is true for both women and men.

trojanchick99

I work for a university, so it's pretty casual. I usually wear a button down shirt with a cute skirt and sandals or strappy heels. Since I'm in Southern California, I can wear skirts year 'round with tights in the winter when it drops below 60 degrees.

On Fridays it's super casual, polo and jeans or any nice university related top and jeans or khakis.

stacylynne

I work from home. I'm in the same boat as Janice & I wouldn't change it for the world. But, when I go out, I do dress to the 9,
smiles.gif

Cosmopolitics

I'm a freelance writer/editor and I work from home. I mainly wear pajamas and tshirts. I'm not going out of the house, no one has to see me in my too-long Old Navy pj pants and Beverly Hills 90210 t-shirt :p

Kuuipo

Scrubs. I used to wear Hello Kitty scrubs- I mean for like a dozen years. The last few years I have been wearing solid colours.

Mizz.Yasmine

whatever i want lol! i work at a salon.the hairdressers wear all black but over at my tanning desk we can wear whatever we want!