What is "too much makeup?"

LMD84

I always get told I wear "too much" because most people I know don't wear any at all. I usually do a full-face, (though lately, I've been ditching the full-coverage matte foundations for tinted moisturizers---my skin has been improving :), and ditching colorful eyes for neutral shadows), but I still do shadow (inner corner and light crease contour), liner, brows, mascara, blush, lipstick, and highlight. I get told I look really sleepy and tired if I don't have anything on my face, and I think its mainly because of my natural eye shape. I have monolids with a heavy lid, and it droops downward at the ends. I probably sound insecure and all, but I just got really fed up with people telling me I look like I need a nap or I look like I'm about to cry. And then now that I don't look crappy, they tell me its too much.

It's also funny when they come to me and ask me to do their make-up...

I'm currently single, and I hate when guys tell me they like 'natural'. Natural is dark under eye circles, redness, acne scars, unplucked brows, etc. Would they give a lady any positive feedback from that? I think now. Some guys are aware that I am into makeup, they see me in crazy looks (that I don't actually wear in public, lol), and they can appreciate my hobby.

I've found I get treated a lot better by people in general when I do a full face. *shrug* Salespeople are nicer and more attentive, guys are more accommodating (chivalry still sort of lives, lol).
so true! when they say natural they mean the urban decay naked palette! lol!

ElvenEyes

So much of this depends on each person's personality and should not be judged by a boyfriend or family member. Some people prefer little to no MU, others like to enhance their look, be it eyes, lips, skin tone, or a little bit of everything, and others like a super wow factor all the time. I think this is an exciting time for makeup because even though there are trends going on, pretty much anything and any colour goes! It is important to wear MU appropriately. Don't wear a heavy Gothic look at a wedding, unless it is a Gothic themed wedding. Don't wear bright CYY lips at a funeral, etc. There is a time and a place for everything. But makeup it also an extension of yourself. It is the same as the way you style your hair, the jewelry you wear, the clothes on your back. It is a personal form of expression. If you douse it for others all the time, then you are not being true to yourself, and if you play it up to follow a trend that really isn't you, then you are cheating yourself once again! Blend, blend, blend, unless the look is meant to be crisp! In other words, always use good judgment, but have fun with it all, too!

Gorgeous

I know exactly how you feel!!! I wear on a regular basis : primer, tinted moisturizer, concealer (if and where needed), corrector under my eyes (I have major dark circles some days), powder, bronzer, contour, blush, highlight, lip balm, lipliner, lipstick, lipgloss, primer on my lids, usually a light colour on my lid and a dark in the crease but sometimes I smoke it out with a mid-tone taupe, brow highlight, and I love whitish shadow on my inner corners..
eyelove.gif
3-4 coats of black mascara, liner, skin-tone liner in my waterline and of course.. my brows, lightly filled and set. I love make-up and I love make-up on other people! keep doing it if it's what you like.. Guys are ridiculous lol I've had guys tell me they thought I had on NO make-up when I was full faced.. I had very little shadow on but still I mean common
blush-anim-cl.gif

heart

I think it's not so much how much product you use but how it's applied. I had a co-worker who hardly wore anything (only foundation and eyeliner) but her eyeliner was so thick people were constantly commenting on how much make-up she was wearing... when I would wear a "full" face--foundation, blush, lipstick/gloss, and sometimes eyeshadow and always be complimented.

rosegasm

Well, I think I have some off days (when I'm trying to apply something too quickly and it ends up a mess), but usually my face comes out pretty nice, not cakey or anything. This only started when a friend of mine wanted me to record my face routine, which I did, and posted on my Facebook. People who watched it basically were like, OMG WHY ARE YOU APPLYING FOUNDATION? I WOULD NEVER WEAR IT! WHY ARE YOU USING 3 EYESHADOWS?! blah blah blah

This is pretty much my everyday face (when I decide to wear lashes).

rosegasm

thanks ladies!
wavey.gif
i feel like makeup is not necessarily a symbol of insecurity, like most people think. sometimes it takes a self-aware confident person to know what works on them and how to work it! there's nothing wrong with caring how you look! :)

arvika

I love doing my eye makeup. I've gotten really good at it. Doing the eyes is most important for me, as well because it really shows your beauty potential. Plus getting to use all those fun colours...It's like an art! :)

But then once I do my eyes, I notice my dark circles make my e/s look not as nice. Then I want to do foundation. Then I notice my face is a little flat. Then I want to do blush and highlight. Oh woe is me.

k.a.t

I love doing my eye makeup. I've gotten really good at it. Doing the eyes is most important for me, as well because it really shows your beauty potential. Plus getting to use all those fun colours...It's like an art! :)

But then once I do my eyes, I notice my dark circles make my e/s look not as nice. Then I want to do foundation. Then I notice my face is a little flat. Then I want to do blush and highlight. Oh woe is me.

Who cares! wear it all if you like it, we only have one life, I say wear whatever you want if you like it :D

Screw it! Stupid publications like Seventeen and Glamour magazines dedicate their beauty segments to 'how to catch HIS eye' colour stories too often and I'm sick to death of it.

To look through my makeup collection, Instagram photos or even my handbag is to see a LOT of range.

I range from nude lipstick to red to neon pink to violet to blue and it's my prerogative to do so! Like others say, my use of makeup can be minimal or daring and I harness it to express myself and to experiment, purely because it's FUN! For me personally, some people may look at me and think I'm faking individuality or putting on a mask to compensate for lacking elsewhere, but oddly my looks has always been the one thing I don't obsess over and feel subject to judgement about. NOT because I think I'm the modern Aphrodite Samantha Brick, but because it's just not worth worrying about who thinks I look like Morticia Adams in black lipstick because when I look in the mirror, I'm content.

HissyfitLuvsYou

I know just how you feel.. Everywhere i go people just stare? I dont know if its my makeup or not because their always staring at my face.. It doesn't look like i have a mask on i just put liquid foundation, loose powder, blush eyeshadow eye liner mascara and lipgloss I feel so alone

sweetscent

maybe because the way you apply your makeup is unique or skillful that can't hide....or you're simply pretty :)