What kind of comp do you use? [pics](yeaah I'm bored)

Janice

Just a crappy ol' Dell desktop.

Hopefully someday I'll get a laptop, I'm tired of being tethered to a desk when I need to work on the computer.

prinzessin784

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 lappie. Not the greatest but not too bad, either. After my last one died (it was a Frankenstein too, hardly any original parts!) I was desperate so this is what I got!

MiCHiE

I have a VAIO, too, but I was told by the guy that replaced my hard drive (about 4 weeks out of the box) that it's a known issue at Sony.

IslandGirl77

Thanks for moving it, I was trying to get the clickable thumbnail in PB. For some reason they aren't working. Oh well.

ette

Right now, HP Pavilion f1503 flatscreen desktop, or sometimes the computer in the basement (another HP). The f1503 is mine though. My mom is buying an Apple iBook tomorrow, so I'll probably use that ocassionally.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

hp Pavilion Laptop, built like 7 years ago but its got mass upgraded parts and its served me very well for only costing 200 bucks off ebay.! runs windows xp faster than my moms desktop brand new...

I wanted a Macintosh (apple) but was told by many computer stores not to waste my money, as they need to be upgraded a lot and are obsolete the moment you turn them on.. yikes! wouldnt mind one of those GINORMOUS apple desktops though. the really fast ones.. yess that would rock.

moonrevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
I wanted a Macintosh (apple) but was told by many computer stores not to waste my money, as they need to be upgraded a lot and are obsolete the moment you turn them on.. yikes!

Isn't this all computers, though? I used to have a Dell Latitude and Microsoft was sending me notifications every time I turned the damned thing on for Windows security updates. I think that it's just the nature of the beast, as when any company releases a new computer or operating system, they are already developing the next new and improved version of it. I could just be biased, however, since I have a MacBook Pro and am absolutely in love with it.
smiles.gif

IslandGirl77

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrevel
Isn't this all computers, though? I used to have a Dell Latitude and Microsoft was sending me notifications every time I turned the damned thing on for Windows security updates. I think that it's just the nature of the beast, as when any company releases a new computer or operating system, they are already developing the next new and improved version of it. I could just be biased, however, since I have a MacBook Pro and am absolutely in love with it.
smiles.gif

Right, because they have Windows Vista coming out IE7. They are always updating and bringing out new things. Most people I know that use MAC's(not the make-up ha ha)use it for graphic design and I have a friend who's video editor and she loves her MAC. I guess it would just depend on what you prefer.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrevel
smiles.gif

ah the Microsoft notifications were spam... i hate that crap. I get them too but I don't use internet explorer anymore so i get them less... and Windows hasn't actually launched a new Operating system for at least 7 years (WINDOWS XP). I hear there is a new one coming out though. The only reason Id like to have a Mac is that they don't contract AS MANY virus's as PCs. because not as many people have them, so the virus makers don't bother. They are nice computers though

Empress

A desktop I built (i know what a geek)! The specialty was the "sonta case" at the time, it kills all excessive noise from the harddrive making it pin drop silence. I recently gave into gettin the sexy dark macbook
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

Quote:
I wanted a Macintosh (apple) but was told by many computer stores not to waste my money, as they need to be upgraded a lot and are obsolete the moment you turn them on.. yikes! wouldnt mind one of those GINORMOUS apple desktops though. the really fast ones.. yess that would rock.

That's not a unique issue to Apple. Depending on what you do, you may have to upgrade a lot, but that's with any computer. I know people who run ancient Apple and Windows-based computers (talking mid 1990s) and are happy with them, because all they want to do is type.

My only issue with Macs is that gaming software often doesn't come out until a year or so later. That's improving, though, since more people are switching over.

girlstar

If you're getting Windows update notifications, it's not spam. You should *really really* install them. Your computer is a lot more vulnerable if you don't - you could end up running spyware that allows someone in another country to connect to your computer and use it to send spam, or ddos another computer or network. If you ISP catches your computer doing that, they'll suspend your service. So really, it's in your best interests and I highly recommend it.

..and that's is coming from someone who HATES Microsoft as well as Windows
smiles.gif
But I recommend it because I've seen the amount of money some companies have to pay in bandwidth because they get flooded from un-patched computers.
ssad.gif

As for the type of computer I have, prepackaged stuff like dell/ibm doesn't go over well with me unless we're talking rackmount servers. Otherwise, it's too much money for generic components. I build my own because that way, I get what I want. Yup, I'm a programmer.. so I'm pretty snooty about what I work with.
smiles.gif

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK

not true. *puts on geek hat*

pretty much every computer will need some form of upgrade if you keep it long enough. this is especially true if you want to upgrade the operating system - as they are optimised to run on the newer machines.

windows vista (the new windows out early next year) is an absolutely bloated beast which is going to cause upgrade hell for a lot of PC users. you need 22 GB free hard disk space to install it. 22GB. that's huge.

while i'm now a bigger fan of macs than i am of PCs (i'm not a gamer so it doesn't matter), i can understand that they can have different applications and some people prefer one over the other. it's all about pros and cons for that particular person.

*takes off geek hat*

i'm not going to list the computers as i'd like to stay in denial about how they keep multiplying. they have to be creating babies, i swear.

suffice to say i use an ibook G4 (which still flies as it's a only year old) for surfing specktra. i want a macbook though.

kaliraksha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
I have a VAIO, too, but I was told by the guy that replaced my hard drive (about 4 weeks out of the box) that it's a known issue at Sony.

In Sony's defense - for no good reason at all - their hard drives are made by Fujitsu, hehe.