What kind of mirror should I get to apply makeup?

jackie100

What's the best makeup mirror to get?
I want one of those cool lighted mirrors, the one I have in mind is this Zadro one Bed Bath & Beyond - Zadro™ Dimmable Fluorescent Dual-Sided Mirror and Bed Bath Beyond is always sending me 20 percent off coupons so I will use that towards the purchase but I still think it's pricy.

Do you guys think it's worth it?

I actually went to Bed Bath Beyond to look at the mirrors in person today. The Zadro lighting is a fluorescent light which is supposed to emulate the sunlight.

I also saw some Conair lighted mirrors, this one
Bed Bath & Beyond - Conair Illuminated Polished Chrome 5X/1X Magnification Mirror and this one
Bed Bath & Beyond - Conair Illuminated Satin Nickel 8X/1X Magnification Mirror
but to be honest the lighting was really dim compared to the Zadro one, the Zadro one was super bright.

From what I've been reading on-line supposedly it's better to use a mirror with fluorescent light vs incandescent light because it shows the true color of your skin and emulates sunlight better? (I think). Has anyone use both and compared the two?

Has anyone used the Zadro ones and is it worth the price? If not, which mirror do u you use/recommend?

jrm

I use the Conair Illuminated Polished Chrome 5X/1X Magnification Mirror myself - bought it a few weeks ago. I've been fairly happy with it, but it was also about the only illuminated mirror (with 1x and magnification) that I could find that was of a decent size.

After playing around with it when I got it home, I was immediately impressed by how much more accurately I could apply eyeshadows and fluidlines because I had a better view of exactly what I was doing, which also helped with the blending and general technique. From my experience, I would definitely recommend having a well-illuminated mirror that you can get close to (and the ability to go magnified helps too!)

The Conair I have has three illumination settings, and I feel it could definitely be brighter - even on the brightest setting. I do like to compare the after under a fluorescent light and natural light in my bathroom afterwards to ensure the results are okay, but I haven't had any issues so far.

My biggest worry with using a fluorescent-lit mirror would be around the fluorescent's tendancy towards blues (because of the way it's light is generated). It's always been my understanding that incandescents are more 'natural' in their coloring because they use the entire light spectrum. (Which seems to contradict what you've written!)

jackie100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm
I use the Conair Illuminated Polished Chrome 5X/1X Magnification Mirror myself - bought it a few weeks ago. I've been fairly happy with it, but it was also about the only illuminated mirror (with 1x and magnification) that I could find that was of a decent size.

After playing around with it when I got it home, I was immediately impressed by how much more accurately I could apply eyeshadows and fluidlines because I had a better view of exactly what I was doing, which also helped with the blending and general technique. From my experience, I would definitely recommend having a well-illuminated mirror that you can get close to (and the ability to go magnified helps too!)

The Conair I have has three illumination settings, and I feel it could definitely be brighter - even on the brightest setting. I do like to compare the after under a fluorescent light and natural light in my bathroom afterwards to ensure the results are okay, but I haven't had any issues so far.

My biggest worry with using a fluorescent-lit mirror would be around the fluorescent's tendancy towards blues (because of the way it's light is generated). It's always been my understanding that incandescents are more 'natural' in their coloring because they use the entire light spectrum. (Which seems to contradict what you've written!)

Thanks for your input! I haven't even thought about how blue colors would look under fluorescent light, that's a very good point.

I am actually not sure if fluorescent is more natural in coloring, that's just what I've read on a few blogs/articles on-line in my quest for a mirror. They could be wrong though, I don't know to be honest.

When I first looked at the fluorescent light I was like "Wow" cause it was so bright and I wasn't used to that. I didn't want to buy it immediately because it was kind of expensive, I wanted to go home and research more on-line about what mirror to get
smiles.gif

amyzon

Fluroscents may not be as natural, but since I work in an office all day that is lighted with all fluroscents overhead lighting, I've noticed that if I use the light from outdoors to apply my makeup, it looks worlds different when I get to work. It depends on what you need it for. This thread reminded me I really need to get a new mirror. The light broke on mine quite a while ago and it was cheap to begin with. I have no problem forkin out the cash for a quality one! I really would like to get a full-sized mirror rather than a small oval one - they seem so restricting like I have to crane my neck to see anything. Does anyone know where you can get one of these?

jackie100

I ended up buying the Zadro mirror from BedBathBeyond. Even on the box it says : "The most technologically advanced mirror on the market". It is super bright, up to 110 watts dimmable light.

I went home and plugged it in and I saw things with my skin that I never really noticed before with my handheld mirror or even bathroom mirror. For example, I could see an extra brown melasma spot on my cheek that I never ever noticed before and my under eye area was not as seamless and smooth as I thought. I could also see some tiny lines, tiny hairs etc.. lol

This mirror shows everything! Every single detail. I could also see how messed up my brows were and how I had empty spots since they are so sparse. I filled it in but not as perfectly as I thought, I re-filled them using the mirror and it looks 10x better.

I also just re-applied my makeup using this mirror to test out. I found that it helped a lot because I was able to see imperfections that I didn't see before, more spots, slight blemishes etc. This mirror shows EVERY imperfection which is scary. I also found my eye makeup looked better afterwards, it was easier for me to find my crease and everything looked "neater" when I was done because I was able to see so much better. I feel like I sort of woke up from being blind, I can see myself so much clearer now.

This mirror is freakin awesome. If you are looking for a great mirror I highly recommend this one. It is expensive but it is the brightest out of all the mirrors checked in BedBathBeyond.

I love this mirror.