what mac foundation am i?

heart

hey ladies... this is a really embarrassing question but i have had REALLY bad luck getting matched w/ foundations.

every time i've gone into mac i've been recommended the wrong foundation shade. i seem to keep getting nc40/42 (maybe it's the lighting inside the store? idk) but i know it's not right because it looks like this:

this is nc42 and obviously it is way too dark. it looks more orange in real life but my camera sucks, sorry.

when i swatched myself in the store, i was somewhere between nc25-30 but when i took a pic i look like this.

it looked fine in person (maybe 1-2 shades lighter at the max) but in this pic w/ no flash it was so wrong...

so here are two pics w/ me without makeup. i just finished my period (sorry for tmi) so my skin is awful so please forgive the skin "softening". but here's a pic w/ no skin makeup.

my skintone looks dramatically different in lots of photos. idk why.

but i also felt nc35 looked a little dark on me. what foundation shade do you think i am? any thoughts? sorry if this is a silly question, i am just very confused at the moment and would like some outside perspective.

thanks in advance..

ShesAFoxyLady

^ That sounds reasonable to me!

I definately think your face looks too light with the NC25-NC30 in the second pic and NC42 definately looks too dark from your first pic so it's got to be somewhere in the middle! Although I am by FAR not an expert on mac foundations so please do not take my word for it!

If you can, I would go along to mac and ask to try the NC35 and see how you think that looks - get them to apply it to you and then go outside in natural light to check it.

I can see why you are confused, pictures can be...confusing!

To me it looks as though you are NC35 based on your last two pictures. NC42 is a little dark for you as the first picture illustrates. NC30 is a little light I'd say because in the second picture there is a noticeable difference between your neck and face (though I know necks can be a different colour sometimes)...therefore, I come to the conclusion that you are NC35 :) In fact, I'm going to be bold and say that I am certain of it!