What my first day at MAC was like for those who are interested!

shorty

OK, a couple people asked for updates and wondered what a first day would be like so here goes!

To start off I arrived at counter early and the assistant manager did my make up, there was a look for the day using N... I was shown into the staff area of the store and put my bits away then took to the counter...

Its a BIG one so firstly I was shown where everything was kept... lipglass in this drawer, mascara in this drawer, pigments here, brushes there etc... my head was in bits there were drawers and products EVERYWHERE! I was picked out a brand spanking set of brushes and given a brush belt (broken, but ordered a new one!), and shown sanitisation procedures...

And that was it, before I knew it there were customers coming right at me, I had no where to hide!! I was told if a customer wants something then just to do it, I was allowed to apply products and do whatever I needed basically... and not to be afraid to ask for help!

and I tell you, you gotta know your stuff!! Within a few hours i was doing everything from applying false lashes, liquid liner, filling in brows, foundation matching, showing a customer how to make her lips look fuller... Every single customer had a totally different need and thats what I loved the most. I had to get HEAPS of help finding the stuff in the drawers but I pretty much held my own in assisting the customers... I even had a lady say 'Im so so glad you were here to help me today I will come back to see you' and she took my name which was cute.

The day flew over, but it was fab, I think my love for MAC has grown even more after my first weekend there, I just cant wait to progress and learn and develop as an artist... Sunday was quieter so I got to learn a bit about the foundation types (i want to be spot on recommending the right one). The girls on the counter are all lovely, and at the end of my first day the manager took me to one side and said I had done fantastic and she loved my confidence... and I had beaten my personal target for the day by almost £300!

Im so happy and I cant wait to go on basic!!
choochoo.gif
sorry if this was long, I guess Im excited!

miss_supra

Congrats! Did you have to tell customers if you were new at all or felt comfortable enough to help them without having to fall back on that? I am scared that I don't know enough once I apply for freelance.

ritchieramone

That was interesting - I had no idea that new MAs would be expected to be working at the counter on their very first day! It sounds as if you did really, really well so I hope it continues to go as nicely in the future.
yes.gif

User49

Thanks so much for sharing! Sounds like fun! I'm starting on a Saturday so I'm getting really excited! I'm going in a few weeks before to find out where things are and get some advice with foundation ect. From one new mac girl to another was there anything you wish you would have done differently? Or were there any things that really helped you? The girls on our counter are really friendly and have said if I have any questions to ask, but I know I'm going in on a busy busy day right after pay day! Any advice would be appreciated
smiles.gif

Loveleighe

i'm glad you had fun. i'm still waiting on my first day and the anxiety is killing me i'm super excited to get started and reading your first day story doesn't help lol.

newagetomatoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty
... Every single customer had a totally different need and thats what I loved the most. ...

Aww, I'm so glad you had a killer first day and love what you do!!
th_DANCE.gif
I can only imagine the hecticness you went through on your first day, but you pulled it off like a pro!!

chocolategoddes

reading this just makes me want to be a MAC artist even more! All I do is day dream about how awesome it would be! This just gave me more insight! I'd like more MAs on here to post how there first days were! its fun to read.
smiles.gif

DirtyPlum

Aww bless ya hun!! I am sooo pleased it went well and u had a great time!! It so overwhelming at first and then it just gets better and better... whoo!!

How is N doing at ur store? We sold out of 3N lipstick and 2N lipglass on Sat... madness!!

shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitternmyveins
Thanks so much for sharing! Sounds like fun! I'm starting on a Saturday so I'm getting really excited! I'm going in a few weeks before to find out where things are and get some advice with foundation ect. From one new mac girl to another was there anything you wish you would have done differently? Or were there any things that really helped you? The girls on our counter are really friendly and have said if I have any questions to ask, but I know I'm going in on a busy busy day right after pay day! Any advice would be appreciated
smiles.gif

Im not sure I would have done anything differently as such... however, this week I am taking notes in a notebook from the website just trying to memorise the exact finishes of the lipsticks, shadows, the different foundations and also the numbers of my brushes... If you know where the stock is located before hand then that would help a lot but i know i will have forgotten by this friday theres just sooo much!!

If I didnt know something then I just kinda said to my customer 'ooo just let me double check' instead of saying I didnt know... usually this was to do with prices of things so it didnt sound too bad...

shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_supra
Congrats! Did you have to tell customers if you were new at all or felt comfortable enough to help them without having to fall back on that? I am scared that I don't know enough once I apply for freelance.

I said I was new to the counter so bear with me while I find stock... I have used MAC for years and worked as a make up artist for about 2 years now so I knew the products and could recommend things, I think its just about having a bit of confidence in yourself and if you dont know anything then there is NO harm in asking, better to ask than give the customer something that isnt right for them