What Not to Do- MAC Makeover Gone BAD

amietron

For my birthday, I thought I would get my makeup done because my girlfriends had planned a night out. I walked in looking like this (I'm an NC20) -

542934010_1c741bb4fb_o.jpg

and walked out looking like that -

682789210_a939624a9a_o.jpg

682789120_67d6d682cb_o.jpg

SCARY. I walked out of Nordstrom 10 shades darker than before and with Going Bananas up to my eyebrows!

Face: Strobe cream
MSF SPF 15 in ? ?
MSF Natural - Dark?

Lips: Cranapple lipliner
not sure what lipstick
Take A Hint - tendertone

Eyes: Fibre rich mascara
Going Bananas
Bang on Blue
Big T
Wondergrass

The pictures above don't do the look any justice. I pretty much walked in with a clean face and no makeup, and walked out looking like this -
687691842_d80f74b356.jpg

lipshock

Ganguro Girls are frightening.
smiles.gif

I am sorry you didn't like your makeover. It always seems to be the luck of the draw when it comes to MAC makeovers. But I honestly don't think it looks that bad . . but it could be the quality of your pictures.

franimal

It doesnt look too bad to me, but maybe its just the pics. sorry you didnt like your makeover

NicksWifey

I can't really tell from the pics (maybe it's my monitor) but it doesn't look too bad from what I see. I do think you really pretty in the 2nd picture though
smiles.gif

aziajs

It really doesn't look bad, but like you said the pics don't capture the look well. It does suck that you did't like it though. Been there, done that.

amoona

It doesn't look bad at all. If you didn't like it then maybe next time you should try to give the MA more details about what you want. I find that the biggest problem we have when doing make-up appointments is that customers don't tell us exactly what they want.

faifai

Well, if I walked out with 6 free containers of Haagen Dazs, I'd forgive them for the ganguro makeover.
smiles.gif
Hahaha. Honestly though, I do see what you mean, it's like you walked in normal and walked out with a tan!

noteventherain

I honestly don't see what's wrong with it. From the pictures, you looked gorgeous. I totally understand that the picture wasn't very high-quality though so it doesn't show a true depiction of what you looked like. but hey - the point is that YOU didn't like it. . . that's what counts!! next time try to pinpoint exactly what you want and let your MA know. also, at any time in the makeover, feel free to ask to see a mirror and tell them if you don't like something so they can change it then. . . as opposed to reaching the very end when they suddenly discover you don't like something and the only way to change it is to do your whole face over.

gRiZeLda

hey girlie! u dont look bad at all.....then again u didnt like it and thats what counts.... like NOTEVENTHERAIN said....ask to see a mirror during the makeover...it was the MA mistake on not doing so...also i will tell u since i have worked in nordys c0smetics...the lighting there is HORRIBLE and perhaps that is why u got a foundation a couple shades darker....*i had this situation as a MA happen to me before* s0o0o it could have been lighting... im sorry u didnt like it.. i think u look great tho!

<3

gator_tots

Every time I go to mac they try giving me foundation that is 3 times darker than I should wear. i was dumb the first time and trusted the girl. I looked like a damn tangerine! and she had the most gorgeous porcelain skin and whined about not being tan. I should have known right then and there!

Moppit

I had to laugh, not at you but you description. I'm sorry it wasn't a successful makeover. It really isn't that bad you know.

amietron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator_tots
Every time I go to mac they try giving me foundation that is 3 times darker than I should wear. i was dumb the first time and trusted the girl. I looked like a damn tangerine! and she had the most gorgeous porcelain skin and whined about not being tan. I should have known right then and there!

That's how I felt when I walked out too! My friend begged me not to wipe off the makeup before she saw it and then she laughed at me!

"Maybe she thought you wanted to be tanner..."

amietron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gRiZeLda
hey girlie! u dont look bad at all.....then again u didnt like it and thats what counts.... like NOTEVENTHERAIN said....ask to see a mirror during the makeover...

Yeah, I think I've learned my lesson after this experience! Always ask for a mirror if you're not familiar with the MA's work.

My first makeover was for the Barbie event and the girl who did my makeup was Asian. She had similar eyes and even though I didn't get to see my makeup during the makeover, when she finished, I LOVED my makeup.

User49

Is it sad that I think that pic of that 'ganguro' girl looks cool? Lol? I love people who are really eccentric with make up/colour! Maybe next time take a picture of make up that you like so they have a better idea of what you are after
smiles.gif

tiramisu

all I know is that you look great in your pictures. Sorry about the experience... I know eventually, this too will happen to most of us with a "makeover". I got a chuckle out of your title and and craving Haagen Das now. LOL

purplkaret

hehe yea i agree w/ the others n i think it looks ok in the pix. prob cuz we cant see the contrast. but usually what i do is i put makeup on b4 so they get an idea of what i'm used to even tho they're just gonna tell u to wipe it off hehe. and yeah i also look for asian makeup artists if i can. hope u have a better experience next time!

miss_pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by amietron
That's how I felt when I walked out too! My friend begged me not to wipe off the makeup before she saw it and then she laughed at me!

"Maybe she thought you wanted to be tanner..."

"Tanner" <-- oh now *that* is cute! i think u look good in the pic...albeit a bit brown tho! hehe. A lot of the advice above is worth remembering for ur next makeover appointment! I hope u had a fabulous birthday anyway!!
cheerleader.gif

jilliandanica

I've had a similar experience with some of the MAC MA's. I think it's the bright lights they have in the stores or just poor judgment on the MA's part. Anywhos, other than the "tanner" face, I think your eyes look great =)