What to do...?

leslie

Let me start by telling the back story. I'm married and have 3 little girls ages 1, 2, & 3. We live in a house that we rent from my aunt & uncle. We've been there for almost 3 years.

Anyways, today, my mom calls me at work and tells me that my aunt can't tell me but she promised my cousin, her son, the house that we have been renting. He's getting married next year in May. So we have to move out before then. My mom said she couldn't tell us because she feels bad.

My husband and I have jobs, but we earn enough money just to get by every week and to get the girls what they need. We both have bad credit and apartments in Los Angeles are too expensive. We rented an apartment before, but had to break the lease because my aunt wanted us to move into her house so bad.

My husband's parents move to Texas last year and always told us if we want to live with them, we can. They have enough rooms for me and my husband and for the girls to have their own. Thing is, I really don't wanna live with in-laws or Texas. I'm so used to L.A. My husband didn't like living with my parents when we had to stay with them for a while. And I don't really want to have to go back to living with other people. Especially 2 faced people. When they lived about 30 minutes away from us, they never phoned or came to visit the girls, EVER. But now, his mom wants us to move over there because she "misses" the girls. And she's always calling my husband every weekend. When they lived closer, she never called him. Probably only once a month. I just don't understand them.

I like how our situation is right now. And I don't want to take the girls away from my family. They are so use to them. But we have no other choice if we can't find anything here. I just can't believe it. I understand that's her son, but my cousin and his fiance could fine an apartment for right now. It's just going to be the 2 of them. The house has 3 rooms.

I just have the worse luck. Sorry if this is just jumbled. I'm just so depressed.
ssad.gif
I don't know what to do, think, say.

Brittni

That's really inconsiderate of your aunt. Not to mention cowardly how she couldn't even tell you. If I were you, I'd phone her up and explain the situation to her. Maybe she needs a dose of reality: that being you need the place more than her newly married son. At least you have SOME time to try and save up if nothing else.

Also, I wouldn't say that his mom is necessarily two faced for contacting you guys more when you are farther away. A lot of times people take things for granted and she probably realize she took for granted the closeness when it was there so now she really does miss them.

Goodluck hun.

leslie

Thank you. I know I need to talk to her, but the thing is is that, she's like a second mother to me and knows our situation. That's why it was a big shocker. That's the reason why she told us to rent her house in the first place. And in past conversations with her, she would tell me that my cousin and his fiance were looking for houses to buy, or apartments to rent.

And yeah, I shouldn't say anything about his family, but I just don't like the fact that when they had the chance to see him and the babies, they didn't take it.

NicksWifey

I agree, it is cowardly of your aunt to not even tell you the upcoming situation, especially with you and your family renting from her. That's just ridiculous. I think you need to have a heart-to-heart talk with your aunt and see what's up. You can still have a serious talk with her about this situation (because this is a very serious situation) and still be polite about it.

If the others aren't supposed to move in until next year and your aunt still wants you and your family out before then, there is still some time to look. Just don't give up hope. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this now. Maybe your aunt could help you all find a house, since she was so adamant about y'all moving in, in the first place and now she wants you out? Don't give up hope, keep your head up and stay strong for your little girls. I'm sorry sweetheart!

leslie

Thank you. I am going to stay strong for my girls, but it's going to be hard to do. My mom also told me about low income housing. And I looked online at the site and some of the apartments are around our area. So I'm going to look into it.

kobri

Well just to see the other side, this is her house and she wants to give it to her son so really it is her decision. If you were renting from someone who weren't family would you confront them about it? She was probably trying to avoid telling you because she knows the situation and feels badly, should you really add to that guilt? Atleast you have a year to prepare and to save up. Who knows what will change in that time. Your financial situation could be completely different or her son could decide not to live there. Try to prepare yourselves financially and keep yourselves open to your options, you don't have to decide everything right now, just decide what you want and then work over the next year to come up with ways to achieve it. It may mean moving to Texas for a little while or in with other family in order to save money, or changing jobs. I would just accept that the house is not an option because you never know what that discussion could start. She has already promised it to him.

mizzbeba

I agree with Kobri's statement. It's your aunt's house and she promised it to her son. People are seeing your aunt as 'cowardly' but I can see why she hesitated to tell you about this. Doing business with family is not easy! Good thing she told you with almost a year's notice. Now is the time to plan my dear. Who knows, if you move to Texas, you and your family might love it!

little teaser

if your credit is bad you could maybe try finding a rental from a private owner, some don't even check credit. only thing is if you rent from a private owner you may face the same situation if they decide to sell.

user79

I do understand the difficulty of your situation, but I def understand your aunt's as well. She is essentially your landlord, and landlords can evict renters if they want to use the estate for personal or family use. Especially if she did promise the house to her son, I think she does have the right to let you know about it. She should have probably told you herself through a heart-tpheart talk, but she was probably embarrassed. She should have let you know that from the beginning, though, that you could move in temporarily for a while before her son was ready to take over the house, that way you could have known about it before and saved up. But renting private houses is often an unsure situation, because you never know if the owner will want the house back, regardless if it is your aunt or someone else not related to you.

I'd just try to keep looking for a place, even if it is smaller and maybe less conveniently located. Good luck!

leslie

Thanks to everybody that has responded. I have some good news. My mom calls me up after I get home from work. She tells me she called my aunt, I guess to tell her about our discussion about the house, and my aunt had a change of heart. It seems that she talked about the situation with my other cousin, her other son, and he convinced her that we should stay in the house. He said his brother didn't need all that space and that we needed it more then he did. When my mom told me this I was just too happy. The whole day I was so sad, trying to figure out what we could do.

I think this was just a kick in the butt so I can get our situation together. With the whole bad credit and everything. Because this could happen again, and we have to be ready to look if needed.

Thanks again for everybody's thoughts, suggestions, and kind words.

pumpkincat210

I wouldn't say it's bad luck yet, just change and it happens all the time and then when you least expect it. You have options from low income housing and moving in with your in laws. (texas isn't that bad). The good thing is you have people that are willing to take in a whole big family. Remember to make it fun for your kids and an adventure. I'm in the same boat right now too, i live with my hubby and 3 kids with his parents. We are waiting to get a house and working on cleaning up our credit now that we essentially have no bills. Work it to your advantage! Good luck to you!

stacylynne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittni
That's really inconsiderate of your aunt. Not to mention cowardly how she couldn't even tell you. If I were you, I'd phone her up and explain the situation to her. Maybe she needs a dose of reality: that being you need the place more than her newly married son. At least you have SOME time to try and save up if nothing else.

Also, I wouldn't say that his mom is necessarily two faced for contacting you guys more when you are farther away. A lot of times people take things for granted and she probably realize she took for granted the closeness when it was there so now she really does miss them.

Goodluck hun.

Agreed 100%.
If you are in a good school disdrict for the girls, bring that up to your aunt as well. Have a heart-to-heart with her & explain your situation to her. You are paying rent you are not free loading or taking family for granted. Many ppl in this situation would & you're not. I applaud you for that.

You're Aunt is the one who wanted this in the first place; to move into her house.

Good luck

Latest posts