What will you choose: makeup or responsibility?

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullWroth
If you base your entire life around what other people don't have, you'd never get to enjoy anything. After all, how can you buy name brand food when other people have to settle for generic because it's cheaper? How can you go out to eat at a nice restaurant when some people can barely afford McDonald's? Why eat healthy and organic when it's more expensive and other people are struggling just to get crappy scientifically tampered-with food and additives that could give them health problems?

What's make-up worth to YOU? That's the important question here. Do you have the disposable income to pay for it after you've paid off all your necessities? Do you feel like it's worth it to you to pay that much for what you're getting? Do you *want* it? Then get it. A random homeless person on the street is not going to get any less homeless because you didn't spend $15 on eyeshadow.

It's good to help out, and to donate to the charity of your choice when you can, but there comes a point where you have to remember that your money is something you work hard to earn, and you don't owe its spending to anyone but yourself. It's *nice* to use it to do nice things for other people sometimes, but ultimately that money is *your* time and hard work spent to give *you* comfort and enjoyment, whatever that might be. So if buying high-end make-up gives you comfort and enjoyment, do it. You worked for it, lady! You earned it!

There will always be people who don't think high-end prices are worth it (I know there are some days I don't!), but that's because it's not worth it to THEM. I wouldn't spend triple-digits on a curling iron because I usually don't do anything to my hair. I wouldn't buy a Vuitton purse because I don't use a purse to begin with, and to me, anything over $50 is ridiculously not worth it for one. I also wouldn't buy a karaoke machine, season tickets to go see a basketball team play, or a Rolls Royce (assuming I could afford one!), and that doesn't necessarily make me better or more frugal than the people who do. How you spend your leisure money (because I'm going to assume you pay your bills off BEFORE doing your frivolous spending) doesn't have to be justifiable to other people - it only has to be justifiable to you, for your life and income and tastes.

Totally agree with everything you said.

When I was in school and still had a job ( I worked at my school's cafeteria) I would go shopping and spend around $60 on just MAC each trip to the counter. I would barely ever spend my money on anything else. I may of bought some food, gotten a pair of boots and sent some cash to my gram but other than that all my money went to MAC and whatever left was saved up for the summer.

Now I would feel surprised and a bit insulted when some people would comment about how much I spent on makeup and how worthless it was and how there's more important things to spend your money on. I got really annoyed by it because these people were the people who are willing to spend $100+ on a designer bag or pair of shoes. Now if I turned around and asked them if those things were important to them, they'd definitely say yes. That's exactly how I feel about my makeup. So I guess at the end of the day if you have paid of all of your necessities, there's no need to feel guilty for treating yourself to something nice with YOUR hard earned money.