What's a good base for foiling?

breechan

I've been using bare canvas paint under foiling and I'm not too happy with the result. The foiling looks great at first, but after it dries.....not so fabulous. Any suggestions?
th_dunno.gif

Thank you!
yes.gif

breechan

Sorry for the late response. I'm still learning how to use this forum.
cry.gif

Perhaps I'm using the wrong term. What I meant by foiling is:

Using mixing medium to appy pigment to my eyelid wet.

Thank you
yes.gif

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by breechan
Sorry for the late response. I'm still learning how to use this forum.
cry.gif

Perhaps I'm using the wrong term. What I meant by foiling is:

Using mixing medium to appy pigment to my eyelid wet.

Thank you
yes.gif

Go here: http://raquel13.com/makeup/tutorials/ and look for the 'glossy eyes' tutorial on the lefthand side of the screen. She shows the foiling technique about halfway through the tutorial. She uses MAC Fix + for the wetting agent but notes that you can use saline solution or moisturizing eye drops.

breechan

Thank you for that link. I checked it out. I guess I'm doing a crappy job of explaining myself. I didn't mean a glossy eye, but rather a technique of applying eyeshadow with a moistened brush with mixing medium. It dries and just gives a very intense, almost gilded look.

Now, I don't have a problem with the eyeshadow bit.
thmbup.gif

My question is, what is a good primer to use underneath for this technique? I'm finding MAC paint to be less than stellar. I'd like to hear what others have found to be good primers for this technique.
th_dunno.gif
I'm thinking about getting rubenesque, or UDPP.

...gosh going back and reading what I wrote in previous posts....embarassingly vague.
cry.gif

me_jelly

If you want to use an additional base underneath the mixing medium (which can pretty much act as a base on its own due to it's adherence properties), you can try paint pots if you are findind the paint tubes to be to dry after time goes by. The trick is to use very little base, and to make sure that it is spread out really evenly across the entire eye area before foiling. Often, uneven application of the base will cause the mixing medium/pigment mixture to creasse unevenly or to clump in areas.

breechan

Thanks for the awesome responses everyone! Maybe I'll get the gust to post it on FOTD someday.
yahoo.gif