When do eye shadows 'expire'?

piika

I'm just wondering about how many years an eye shadow can be used before it should be tossed. 5 years? 10 years? 20? There's no way I can use up all my eye shadows in the next few years, and I hate the thought that I might have to throw some of them away in the end...

xiahe

Quote:
Originally Posted by piika
I'm just wondering about how many years an eye shadow can be used before it should be tossed. 5 years? 10 years? 20? There's no way I can use up all my eye shadows in the next few years, and I hate the thought that I might have to throw some of them away in the end...

eyeshadows are usually good for up to 2 years, I believe.

lovejam

There's ones I've had for more than five years, and they're still good. I only throw a shadow out when the color and texture changes. I figure if it looks the same, and feels the same, it's still good. I've never had any problems.
smiles.gif

Grace

i don't worry about expiration dates. i have so much makeup i would feel like i was throwing money out the window

piika

Thanks! The FAQ says 2-3 years. SIGH! I'm actually sure that I won't be able to bring myself to toss them after only 3 years...

Somehow knowing this stopped me right in the track of running out to get the new VP eye shadows.
ssad.gif

mspicky

powder cosmetics are not limited by the shelflife of preservatives like liquid cosmetics. Powder can go bad because binders break down, and pigment coatings can break down too. When that happens depends on each product's formulation.