Which MAC brushes would be the best?

Makeupaddict88

So, I think I'm going to take the plunge and start collection some MAC brushes. I don't own any at this present moment and was just wondering what are some of the good, useful brushes. I mostly would want some face brushes, blush brushes and definitely eye brushes. I don't know much about the brushes, or the numbers. I know I for sure want to get the 180 brush, I've seen it being used alot recently so thats probably the first one I will get. Any advice and/or pictures would be great. Thanks!

O and if it helps, I'm going to be taking a make up course to become certified and any brushes I could add to my collection for use twords that would be great too.

MzzRach

Top picks:

187 - so good for so many things. I use this to apply powder foundation, bronzer, even liquid foundation. It's a multi-tasker.

217 - wonderful for eye makeup, and also is a brilliant brush for buffing concealer into the skin.

109 - amazing for applying liquid foundation. Also works wonderfully to apply highlighters.

239 - great all around eyeshadow brush.

There are many threads on MAC brushes, you might want to do a search to see all the comments already posted.
yes.gif
Welcome to the wonderful world of MAC brushes!

coquetayloca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzRach
Top picks:

187 - so good for so many things. I use this to apply powder foundation, bronzer, even liquid foundation. It's a multi-tasker.

217 - wonderful for eye makeup, and also is a brilliant brush for buffing concealer into the skin.

109 - amazing for applying liquid foundation. Also works wonderfully to apply highlighters.

239 - great all around eyeshadow brush.

There are many threads on MAC brushes, you might want to do a search to see all the comments already posted.
yes.gif
Welcome to the wonderful world of MAC brushes!

Completely agree with the above! I just started my brush collection about a week ago... and I am up to about 10 brushes now... I am so bad. I did a lot of reading and watching videos on youtube and made a list of what most people said was the best. The one brush that pretty much EVERYONE said to get was the 217. Besides that... I really stick to the 187/109 for foundation. A lot of people are saying that the 109 is better for liquid than the 187, but I actually like the 187 more. I think it gives a lighter application which I like. For eyes: 226, 239, 217. I LOVE the 226. I think it can really get into your crease and help you define it. The 239 is great for packing on that color onto the lid. The 217 does a good job blending and many other things. Besides those 3, the 224/222 are good to have and maybe the 242. I just got it and havent played with it yet, but it looks promising. I am not really a blush person, so no help there...

laguayaca

109 ---very useful and so soft
180 if you could find it I think its the beast foundation brush
239 - my little soldier my first MAC brush and im still in love with it, applies shadow like a dream
217 or 224 but if I had a choice of one I would go with 217 applies with more intensity than 224, 224 is great to soften color
222 I love this brush for crease work applies with intensity and is precise
(im expecting 226 soon I do wonder how theyll compare)
138 is another one that is very useful for so many things, very soft but pricey!

andrrea

239 - Awesome all around shadow brush
222 - Great for crease work
210 - Great for fluidlines/liquid liners
187 - I love this for liquid foundation
182 - I love this for buffing poweder into skind
168 - Great for contouring

Makeupaddict88

Wow thanks you guys for so many posts. I am writing down the numbers so I can have a look and see whats available at my stores. Can you get all the brushes at the counters or would I have to go to some stores to get certain ones?

MzzRach

Just a note on the 226 brush - it was limited edition with the Brunette, Blond Redhead collection, so snap it up if you want it.
yes.gif
I am sort of kicking myself that I did not get one.............but my brush collection is HUGE, so I think I'll be able to live without it.
winkiss.gif

kittykit

217 was my first brush from MAC. Now I've 7 MAC brushes. My favourites are 217, 187, 272 and 210.

chickatthegym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeupaddict88
Wow thanks you guys for so many posts. I am writing down the numbers so I can have a look and see whats available at my stores. Can you get all the brushes at the counters or would I have to go to some stores to get certain ones?

Do you have a CCO (Cosmetic Company Outlet) near you? I found a lot of my brushes there and they are a good price. They even have some of the harder to find ones sometimes. I picked up a 134 powder brush, 242, and an extra 217 there the other day (so I have one for concealer and one for eyes
smiles.gif

I wish I would have known about the outlet before I spent so much through MAC on brushes throughout the years... o well, it's worth it
yes.gif

chickatthegym

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzRach
Just a note on the 226 brush - it was limited edition with the Brunette, Blond Redhead collection, so snap it up if you want it.
yes.gif
I am sort of kicking myself that I did not get one.............but my brush collection is HUGE, so I think I'll be able to live without it.
winkiss.gif

NOOO! I didn't know it was a LE
ssad.gif
I wish I would have bought it too.

Makeupaddict88

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickatthegym
Do you have a CCO (Cosmetic Company Outlet) near you? I found a lot of my brushes there and they are a good price. They even have some of the harder to find ones sometimes. I picked up a 134 powder brush, 242, and an extra 217 there the other day (so I have one for concealer and one for eyes
smiles.gif

I wish I would have known about the outlet before I spent so much through MAC on brushes throughout the years... o well, it's worth it
yes.gif

Yea I actually do. I actually got my Prep&Prime Eye from then about a year and a half ago. I didn't see any brushes at the time only because I was on the prowl for that prep. Are the brushes legit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguayaca
109 ---very useful and so soft
180 if you could find it I think its the beast foundation brush
239 - my little soldier my first MAC brush and im still in love with it, applies shadow like a dream
217 or 224 but if I had a choice of one I would go with 217 applies with more intensity than 224, 224 is great to soften color
222 I love this brush for crease work applies with intensity and is precise
(im expecting 226 soon I do wonder how theyll compare)
138 is another one that is very useful for so many things, very soft but pricey!

Ok after reading that I searched and I really can't find that brush. Was it LE or just totally out of stock?

Latest posts