Which paint pot should I get?

Leilani78

I love to use all that glitters, honesty and woodwinked each as a wash. However, all that glitters and honesty kinda blend into my skin. I've read that paint pots would make them stand out more, and was wondering which one would work better/versatile (I am debating between Rubenesque and Bare Study)? Also, when I went out to the MAC store, I couldn't find either to sample. I did find the shadesticks, but i heard they dry up quickly and I don't want to spend my money on something that I would not be able to use up.

I am a filipina NW40. I use UDPP under them, but only woodwinked shows up more vibrantly.

Thanks in advance!

gigglegirl

Personally I would prob go with something neutral as a base--like bare study (frost finish) or painterly (cream finish). Rubenesque is a pretty nice peachy shimmery base too. I started with MAC paint and much prefer the paint pots. The shadesticks, I've found, to be fairly dry to apply even when they are freshly bought. Therefore I just go for the paint pots, much smoother and creamier! For woodwinked you may even want a more brown base--like Indianwood.

With your skin tone you may want to try it in person by applying the paint pots on your hand and then your fav e/s overtop to see how they show up for you and if they give you what you're looking for--especially with the finish. At my local counter the paint pots are in one of those spinning black racks that have the fluidlines, shadesticks etc. (Sorry can't remember on which of the two my counter has it on).

Good luck!

miss_dre

I would recommend Bare Study. It's pretty neutral colorwise and it really does intensify whatever color you choose to apply over top of it.
But like GiggleGirl suggested, you should try it on the back of your hand along with the color you plan to put over top of it to see if it will give you your desired effect.

purrtykitty

i agree with all of the above, and i'd like to add that you might like constructivist. it's a really pretty brown shimmer and if you use it with any of your shadows, it will add a nice depth to them, especially for a night-look.

nunu

im nc43 the MUA reccomended rubenesque on me but it was out of stock so i couldn't buy it

La Ilusion

I'm NC43. I got Constructivist a couple days ago and love it! But I'm still planning on getting Rubenesque or Indian Wood to wear under lighter and brighter shadows. (I'm thinking that Indian Wood under Woodwinked will be like a super Woodwinked!
yahoo.gif
) Rubenesque's peachiness might add a nice, subtle dimension of color to shadows like All that Glitters.

Constructivist is gorgeous, but on me it takes some of the punch out of brighter e/s. It is wonderful for adding depth, however.

Leilani78

thank you for all of the recs! dont worry i was going to try it out at the store anyways. i just wanted to see what others have tried/used. now im also gonna try constructivist too.

alien21xx

I use Groundwork a lot for my more nude e/s, and Constructivist if I want the darker shades to really pop. I find Rubenesque washes out the brighter colors, so I don't use it much.

Thank you to the ladies above who recommended Indianwood. I'm gonna try it out next time I'm at a MAC counter.
smiles.gif

lethaldesign

Bare Study is more versatile. You will be able to wear this under ANY shadow to make it pop a little bit more. However, using a matching base color with shadow will make it even more vibrant. Rubenesque is, IMO, the paint pot form of Gleam e/s. Its gorgeous and would look great as a base under any of the e/s you mentioned. But if you want a base that will look good with any other e/s as well (I'm assuming you are only investing in 1 paint pot at the moment), then I would go with Bare Study.

glamqueen1

I use painterly or bare study depending on what effect I want- glittery or matte, but I'm a nw 20. Since you're darker, probably you should get a paintpot that is nearer to your own skincolour, so that you have a neutral base! If I was darker I would get rubanesque, I love how it sparkles in gold and pink! I guess the best you can do is to try them on at the counter ,and also see how your favourite eyeshadows look on them. Good luck!
kissy.gif

janwa09

For your skintone (NW40) I think Groundwork would be great as make-up base because it's very close to your color. Andi It'll definitely make the e/s you've mentioned stand out.

You can also get Constructivist. I wore Woodwinked over Constructivist p/p and the results are amazing! I got a lot of compliments...some e/s that pop with Constructivist too are Shroom, Amber Lights and Bronze or basically neutrals, golds, coppery eyeshadow.

Leilani78

Thanks for all of the recs! Anyways, I ended up buying Bare Study since it was the most versatile and it was really pretty by itself. Rubenesque looked too much like woodwinked, so I didn't get it. What I liked about Rubenesque is that it brought out the purple side in satin taupe and sable. I also tried Groundwork, but it was too dark on me even when i tried to blend it on my hand (which is darker than my face).. go figure.

clamster

I love Indianwood p/p. Shadesticks don't dry too quickly make sure you hear a *snap* when closing it. My mom ALWAYS leaves them slightly open and she complains they are dry.. lol she is usually in a rush. Rubenesque on me(NC40 in studiofix powder) is a little plain and doesn't make my e/s pop as much as my indianwood.