Who is she kidding?!

banjobama

They probably played the song there while she was drunk and she thought she had written it the next day. Haha.

Really though, she's awful.

Tash

There's like 2 words that are the same, I haven't listened to the songs myself, but the lyrics aren't really that identical enough to say she copied them.

Kimberleigh

Wow, she (and the co-writer) totally ripped that song off...intentional or not. They sound so similar; it's ridiculous to deny it.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

haha..Its such a stupid song to begin with. its basically saying

"hey hey I'm a whore and im gonna steal your boyfriend"

goink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK

YESYES! That's the message I got when I first heard this dreadful song.
I do think Avril was "inspired" by this song.

Kimberleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
She totally ripped them off. It sucks but artists do it ALL THE TIME.

Yes, but most people either credit the artist they're "ripping off" or they get sued like this stupid twat (and the co-writer).

Beauty Mark

I think the lyrics are appalling (I'm tired of the whole going after someone else's SO theme in music), but it's really catchy

KAIA

Hey hey you you i wanna be your boyfriend - rubinoos
Hey hey you you i wanna be your girlfriend- avril lavigne
and the tune of that part is the same, at least to me.

Honestly i think the song is stupid, Avril is a major poser... she doesn't know if she's "oh-so-called-punk" or "preppy".

greatscott2000

that is terrible..but it happens all the time. At the least she should have asked for permission to use the beat/tempo of the song.. its identical.

Tash

I still don't see a huge comparison. maybe it's my music background, but it's not the same.

GreekChick

Yes, all artists take old songs, spin them around a little bit, and make them into something brand new. Generally, they give credit to the ORIGINAL songwriters, and people know that the song is a remake.

What is annoying with this song, and with Avril Lavigne, is that she tried to make it seem as if "Girlfriend" was the result of the combination of booze+"her creative songwriting talents"....in order to reinforce this punk, badass party drunken, high whatever image she has been showcasing every since she became popular.
Please girl, we know you wear Lacoste.

amoona

I can't stand her but honestly artists do it all the time so I'm not surprised. They don't always credit the original artists either. Jay Z and his "Big Pimpin" song was a beat that he stole from an old classic Arabic song.

Everything on the radio sounds the same anyway. It sucks these people got ripped off.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
I can't stand her but honestly artists do it all the time so I'm not surprised. They don't always credit the original artists either. Jay Z and his "Big Pimpin" song was a beat that he stole from an old classic Arabic song.

EXACTLY. This is what I am saying and unless the original artist or the person/s who own the catalog file suit or make an issue of it the artist will just go on and that will be that.

I mean you'd really be suprised how often people steal stuff and pass it off as their work. I mean, Beyonce just did this and they had to pull the re-release of B-day from the shelves as a result. But she's really good for claiming other people's work anyway *cough* Rich Harrison and Ne-yo *cough*.

This reminds me of Vanilla Ice sampling David Bowie and Queens "Under Pressure" on "Ice Ice Baby" and then saying that he didn't. Come on. The beginning of the songs are exactly the same!

And if "Hey (Hey) You (You) I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" happens to appear in one song and "Hey (Hey) You (You) I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend" is in the other and that's coincidence, then Jesus is sitting here next to me as I type this.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK

No kidding. That is the dumbest damn song. I can see it inspiring masses of ditzy girls everywhere. Just what the world needs. Who needs to refer to themself as the "mother fvckin' princess"?

The beat in that song kind of reminded me of "Micky" by Toni Basil. I know they aren't that similar at all, but it just popped into my head when I heard it.

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
she tried to make it seem as if "Girlfriend" was the result of the combination of booze+"her creative songwriting talents"....

If that song is the result of being drunk AND her creative songwriting talents, then poor Avril needs a reality check...it is one of the dumbest songs I have ever heard...it reminds me of "Mickey."