Why Are Men an Enigma? Well here's one take...

abbyquack

CNN.com ran this article, I found it pretty interesting, especially in the wake of all these cheating scandals in the news.

Love, sex and the male brain - CNN.com

I think it's helpful to have insight into the male brain! Even the part about how men try to "fix" while women just want them to listen- I have heard this before. But I realized this happened a month ago when I was lamenting about my grandma's death to my husband and I felt sad that he didn't console me but he tried to fix my thinking so I wouldn't think sad things. Very interesting!

Thoughts?

kabuki_KILLER

I don't know what those people are talking about. If anyone moonwalks on my territory, he will BLEED...from all of his orifices.

I've also never met a man more stoic than myself, with a better poker face. I'm sure they xist, but few and far between.

abbyquack

True, I agree that there are always exceptions to the rule. It isn't always as easy as minimizing humans to their hormones.
lol.gif
But at the same time, it is interesting to see that we are also not reduced to morals, that not everything we do is based on what the bible deems as right or wrong...if that makes any sense. Like how we call men pigs for cheating. While I definitely don't condone cheating, I have seen enough to know that men don't always mean it in a deceptive, hateful way. Most men hardly equate sex with love-- to them it's an action that their mind is consumed with (maybe much like a woman's compulsion to shopping) and once it's over, they're not automatically in love. Notice how when affairs happen the woman cheatee says she thought the man loved her and that they were going to live happily ever after, yada yada yada. But the male often has no such intentions. They are letting their peen do the picking as the millionaire matchmaker puts it.
tong.gif
anyways, like I said before I don't think cheating is ok, nor do I think men are destined to cheat--- as I know of plenty of men that have been faithful. I think we have control over our lives- I would hate to think our choices were determined by hormones!! But it is nice to read this and get a little more insight on the differences between our genders. It is interesting too because when I went to a very religious school (where we had an honor code prohibiting sex before marriage or even sleeping over), I was always so surprised how the religious guys would lose control and try to get freaky, even the most religious of them. And it is not that they didn't love their religion, it is that the hormones are very hard to outsmart.

Another part that was interesting was the bit about grandpas and how their hormone changes can make or break their personalities. This is so true, my father in law is super grumpy, he is irritable and depressed, to the point where he has barked at his cute grand children often. We call him "Eeyore", oh and he left his wife of 40 years for a 26 year old. Lol!! There are more issues of course but the article made me think maybe his hormones are whacked out.

But I hope no one takes offense to my opinions, as I know everyone's experiences are different. And I'm interested to hear all of them
smiles.gif

kabuki_KILLER

I think your views are rounded. I think hormones do play a big role in our behavior, but it's not a get-out-of-jail-free card for our choices. And it seems that your father in law is the type of guy that gives guys his age that get divorced a bad name. Hopefully it'll balance out again for him someday. Get him on some hormones. XD

abbyquack

^^ Yea he needs something, even anti-depressants, but he is very threatened by psychiatrists/shrinks/etc. He won't admit that he's anything but totally perfect.
smiles.gif
And ITA, I feel that yea, if hormones are the issue, great, but once you realize that, it's your responsibility to figure it out.

HMC

Meanwhile, the "I feel what you feel" part of the brain -- mirror-neuron system -- is larger and more active in the female brain. So women can naturally get in sync with others' emotions by reading facial expressions, interpreting tone of voice and other nonverbal emotional cues.

That's dang right! Because God made us superior to those silly boys!!
winks.gif
tong.gif
lol We're just awesome like that!

Go us! lol

Latest posts