Why are some counters just more aproachable?

d_flawless

What makes a good counter/store? I was just thinking about it, but I definitely avoid one of the counters in my area and go out of my way just so I don't have to go there. I don't really know what it is, because it's the same product and the same concept, and all of the employees are hired by the same company, so what do y'all think about what makes a good MAC, besides any other, shopping experience?

LisaR

I'm kind of glad someone has brought this up though I'm not sure this is the right forum for it but...

In my experience the approachability has a lot to do with the staff that works there. There is a pro store that opened here and most of the time I get the feeling that they are doing me a favor by waiting on me. I'm always rushed, never asked if I'd like to try something new, am never given suggestions even after explaining that I was new to the brand. Rarely do I get a "Thanks! Come back!". There just seems to be an aura of superiority...or something. I can't quite put my finger on it.

I'm an artist who mainly uses products other than MAC but because so many clients now ask for certain colors I feel obliged to try the product and learn as much as I can. That's what brought me to this site and to be honest, I've learned more here than I have at any MAC counter.

Artists spend huge $$$ at MAC counters. My last trip alone was a $600 bender and that was with my 40% PPID. I realize that others spend much more but you would think with the recent backlash against MAC (that seems to be gaining some momentum) that they would be bending over backwards to be more approachable not only to the general public but especially the artists as well. Artists can have a great influence over those they make beautiful and if they feel "dismissed" by a brand, they'll find something just as good somewhere else.

*and please note that not ALL MAC staff are like this- it's just been my personal experience where I shop.

Classic Beauty

For me, it's what the MA's are doing. If they are just like standing there, looking happy but bored, I would think it would more approachable because they want to help. But if it's busy and the artists are in a rush, then it's not so approachable.

MeganGMcD

In my opinion
What makes a counter approachable is SA's who love make-up.
Also people who realize it isn't "JUST" a retail job. A Retail job is ringing up crap, a job at a counter is ( and this is going to sound sooo freaking cheesy but I will explain) dealing with peoples appearances and in turn a part of their esteem. Yes, I know SA's are not to be held accountable for your personal self esteem. But a woman's appearance IS tied into that. I mean how many of us have drug ourselves to a counter and someone has applied lipstick and given us a compliment and our day is so much brighter.
A good counter has an air of " everyone come over and have fun".
Which IS the corporate motto of MAC, but unfortunately, as a poster above mentioned, when it gets to the counter there is an air of superiority. Some people like that, but man it turns a LOT of people off.
Fortunately I have come accross soooo many amazing, fun, inviting MAC artists. I had one sessions with a guy who *just* made me feel like a GODDESS and another one where the artist made my mom feel and look specatcular. THAT is how you build loyalty.
In fact, I wrote corporate about a positive experience I had with a MAC team in Houston. I think that is what we need to do as well.

Designergirl9

I think some of it is based on general areas to...we have lived in a few places and some areas just have friendly ma's and others are more snobby. I am married I have double the money to drop but I have still been ignored. I don't think it has anything to do with what you look like how you act etc. some people are just more friendly and easy to talk to and that really is a key to being a good sales person.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganGMcD
In my opinion
What makes a counter approachable is SA's who love make-up.
Also people who realize it isn't "JUST" a retail job. A Retail job is ringing up crap, a job at a counter is ( and this is going to sound sooo freaking cheesy but I will explain) dealing with peoples appearances and in turn a part of their esteem. Yes, I know SA's are not to be held accountable for your personal self esteem. But a woman's appearance IS tied into that. I mean how many of us have drug ourselves to a counter and someone has applied lipstick and given us a compliment and our day is so much brighter.
A good counter has an air of " everyone come over and have fun".
Which IS the corporate motto of MAC, but unfortunately, as a poster above mentioned, when it gets to the counter there is an air of superiority. Some people like that, but man it turns a LOT of people off.
Fortunately I have come accross soooo many amazing, fun, inviting MAC artists. I had one sessions with a guy who *just* made me feel like a GODDESS and another one where the artist made my mom feel and look specatcular. THAT is how you build loyalty.
In fact, I wrote corporate about a positive experience I had with a MAC team in Houston. I think that is what we need to do as well.

I live in Houston too and I have to say i've never had an overall "bad" experience at a mac counter or store here. besides, the one bad egg here and there, most employees have been extremely nice and helpful.

d_flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designergirl9
I think some of it is based on general areas to...we have lived in a few places and some areas just have friendly ma's and others are more snobby. I am married I have double the money to drop but I have still been ignored. I don't think it has anything to do with what you look like how you act etc. some people are just more friendly and easy to talk to and that really is a key to being a good sales person.

yeah, definitely.
i live in SF and seriously though, one of the counters by me has the rudest associates, and the other one (the downtown macy's store, son_risa's counter, i think?) has the friendliest people, and their make up is WAY more technical than the one of the other side of town, it's weird. i think some girls just have their heads up their ass since they're working for MAC now. i'm like, stay humble, you were just a customer before, too!

calliestar

I love the MAC counter in Corpus Christi, and I haven't been to any others more than once to have anything to compare it to. It's a small counter in our Dillards, and they don't always have everything, but the sales people are really terrific. Only once have I gone and not really been helped at all. All the other times though, I've had more than one person come up to help me and give me advice at the same time and they are always so friendly, even when the counter is super busy. I love them a lot!

bAbY_cHiCkEn01

It has everything to do with the staff... It wouldn't really matter if there was hardly anything worthwhile in the store (although that would suck), if the MA is wonderful, and friendly, Wants to show you things, lets you take your time and has a genuine smile then it makes the experience wonderful... Just think of how many times you've left without buying something because of the attitude... My counter is really good and I havn't had a bad experience yet but from what I hear, the all races, all ages all sexes motto doesn't hold up when hiring staff at MAC... and that really stinks when a lot of you are dropping a LOT of money to these people...

d_flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_monsta2504
It has everything to do with the staff... It wouldn't really matter if there was hardly anything worthwhile in the store (although that would suck), if the MA is wonderful, and friendly, Wants to show you things, lets you take your time and has a genuine smile then it makes the experience wonderful... Just think of how many times you've left without buying something because of the attitude... My counter is really good and I havn't had a bad experience yet but from what I hear, the all races, all ages all sexes motto doesn't hold up when hiring staff at MAC... and that really stinks when a lot of you are dropping a LOT of money to these people...

yeah. maybe it's just a girl thing (no offense to the boys who wear make up, but obviously the beauty industry is female-centered), like the girls see you come in and look u up and down to like size u up and then get all catty about it cuz you're into looking good just as much as them. i want to say that i've only had bad experiences with girls around my age at counters, but truthfully, even the older MAs who should be over themselves by now can be cold/rude all the same...

alysia

I've never had a bad experience at MAC since I started buying. However before I started buying MAC I was super intimidated by the counter. It just seemed so elitest. But if you talk to them, ask advice (even if you've planned out your shopping list) it makes the MA's like you more it seems.

llucidity

I think it probably is like the counter culture? When you're with the meanies, everyone becomes more mean and when you're with the nice people, everyone becomes nicer. Something like that.

arbonnechick

I've never come across a MAC counter which didn't feel friendly and approachable to me.

LOL, but maybe that's cause I always just stride right up there, full of enthusiasm, immediately engage the MAs in conversation....I don't give them the option of ignoring me or being rude!
lol.gif

lemurian

It's a tough call.. I used to live in the SF Bay Area and had probably a dozen counters nearby, but for the most part they were staffed by snooty young women who almost never knew their product line better than I did (which isn't so well as most of you here!). I think the most approachable were generally counters in department stores, particularly the less-busy ones (both Macy's and Nordstrom Union Square have counters and staff on upper, less-frequented floors which are great).

But on the other hand, I've been to the Pro store in NYC, and was treated royally! I'm absolutely nobody, wasn't planning on shelling out $$$, AND they were busy, but made me feel special anyway. I think that sort of thing really goes to show what is lacking elsewhere.

So I guess in the end it's really a crapshoot. I've always found freestanding stores to be the absolute worst in snobbery, but if a pro store in Midtown Manhattan can have great CS.. well, you get the idea. I guess if you live in a major metropolitan area it pays to shop around
greengrin.gif

holliedavis

On a trip to my local freestanding store this weekend I had a mediocre experience. There were MA's everywhere; one was on the phone, 2 were talking amongst themselves towards the back, and the others were busy as usual. With a heavy 3 year old in my arms, I grew impatient waiting for someone to decide to help me. The storage drawers for the makeup are right there in the open (not behind the counter) so I opened the drawer that I know holds the LE stuff and browsed away. When I finally got someone's attention, they asked, "Who has been helping you", as they looked at my stack of product. I replied that no one had, I just opened the drawer and browsed. She raised an eyebrow at my disapprovingly. I hate that I have to have an MA stand there while I browse... There aren't enough MA's in the store to do that for everyone at the same time, which is why I always have to wait so long. I don't always know what I want until I see it, and all the discontinued and LE products are hidden away in a drawer. Anyone second that emotion? LOL

GreekChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliedavis
On a trip to my local freestanding store this weekend I had a mediocre experience. There were MA's everywhere; one was on the phone, 2 were talking amongst themselves towards the back, and the others were busy as usual. With a heavy 3 year old in my arms, I grew impatient waiting for someone to decide to help me. The storage drawers for the makeup are right there in the open (not behind the counter) so I opened the drawer that I know holds the LE stuff and browsed away. When I finally got someone's attention, they asked, "Who has been helping you", as they looked at my stack of product. I replied that no one had, I just opened the drawer and browsed. She raised an eyebrow at my disapprovingly. I hate that I have to have an MA stand there while I browse... There aren't enough MA's in the store to do that for everyone at the same time, which is why I always have to wait so long. I don't always know what I want until I see it, and all the discontinued and LE products are hidden away in a drawer. Anyone second that emotion? LOL

When a counter is busy, i mean super busy, a ma has to still aknowledge the customers that havent been served yet, either with a hello or with a nod and tell them it wont be too long...I agree that someone should've helped you sooner or at least aknowledge your presence ( where you aknowledged?) but it isnt ok to just open the drawers like that and take the products out yourself...a MA can get into serious trouble by the counter manager if he/she finds out you were serving yourself...You could have walked away with the products withtout paying (Im not saying you would but you know) so thats probably why you got a raised eyebrow...also it might have seemed a bit weird to her how you know which drawer had what and where all the LE items were stored...I understand it was busy and you shouldve have gotten help as soon as possible, but opening the drawers just like that isnt ok...especially if those drawers are behind the counter...I know in your case they werent but still..

holliedavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
When a counter is busy, i mean super busy, a ma has to still aknowledge the customers that havent been served yet, either with a hello or with a nod and tell them it wont be too long...I agree that someone should've helped you sooner or at least aknowledge your presence ( where you aknowledged?) but it isnt ok to just open the drawers like that and take the products out yourself...a MA can get into serious trouble by the counter manager if he/she finds out you were serving yourself...You could have walked away with the products withtout paying (Im not saying you would but you know) so thats probably why you got a raised eyebrow...also it might have seemed a bit weird to her how you know which drawer had what and where all the LE items were stored...I understand it was busy and you shouldve have gotten help as soon as possible, but opening the drawers just like that isnt ok...especially if those drawers are behind the counter...I know in your case they werent but still..

I was not acknowledged in any way for nearly 10 minutes. That's why I'd much rather shop online so that I don't have to wait for someone... The drawers in this store are set up like Victoria's Secret. Right there, out in the open, and with in the customer's "browsing area". Could you imagine shopping at Victoria's Secret if you were required to have an associate walk around with you and get you everything you need? I knew where the LE drawer was because: 1. It's in plain sight and 2. I am a PPID holder and go there at least 3 times monthly. I have tried waiting for teh MA's to do my browsing, but often they just get aggravated that I don't know off the top of my head what I want. They start looking around impatiently and looking for other people to help. If they don't want people browsing, the items should really be behind the counter.

betty

You're an idiot Hollie....what the hell are you doing with a Pro card anyway?? Wait your turn like everyone else and then when you know what you want......ASK!

holliedavis

I think that was completely uncalled for... I have a Pro card because I do free-lance work for weddings; not that it's any of your business. From your attitude I would assume you probably work for MAC. If not, then you should because you have the attitude down pat. I don't think anyone should have to stand around and wait for 1/2 an hour just to have someone open a drawer for you, and then have them stand there tapping their foot while you peruse the selection. If all the items in stock were prominently displayed and not hidden in drawers, I wouldn't have to stand there in the first place. The store's set-up could use an overhaul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty
You're an idiot Hollie....what the hell are you doing with a Pro card anyway?? Wait your turn like everyone else and then when you know what you want......ASK!

holliedavis

Betty, I took the liberty of viewing your posting history. It seems every post is inflammatory, negative, and down-right verbally abusive. From your postings you hate this site, hate Mac Addicts, and probably everything else on this planet. If you hate it so much, why do you hang around like a bad odor? Take your b*tching and complaining elsewhere... preferrably to a therapist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty