WOC and white eyeshadow?!

l1onqueen

Hey ladies! Just wondering what (if any) you are using for a white shadow. Alt of the looks Ive been drawn to lately have a matte white in them somewhere. I dont own one, but was looking to add one soon. I swatched Crystal Avalanche @ my counter and thought it was a bit much. Any suggestions? I'm an NC 45, btw.

TISH1124

I use Gesso, and NYX white or Chromaline in Pure White

PS My stomach used to look like your avatar too !!

chocolategoddes

Depending on how dramatic you want the look to be, a white shadow (Like Gesso for example) can look amazing on darker skin, especially if you imagine the contrast of a stark white against a deeper skin tone. But for an everyday look, I've seen white eyeshadows like Crystal Avalanche used on the inner corner or center of lid to add lightness and dimension to the eye. I wouldn't use it as a brow highlight, though.

NubianHoneii

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
Depending on how dramatic you want the look to be, a white shadow (Like Gesso for example) can look amazing on darker skin, especially if you imagine the contrast of a stark white against a deeper skin tone. But for an everyday look, I've seen white eyeshadows like Crystal Avalanche used on the inner corner or center of lid to add lightness and dimension to the eye. I wouldn't use it as a brow highlight, though.

I agree. I saw this lady the other day with pure white as her brow highlight.. it was just wrong on so many different levels ... well her whole look was wrong but we wont get into that.
th_LMAO.gif

dominichulinda

The only thing I wear solo on my lid thats in the white fam. is shroom ..it leaves my lid w/ a nice sheen to it...I can't wear pure white on the lid..as a base..most def. hmm ..wont look right on me..just it being the dominate color.

theres this lady at my job ..she wears like a white cream base smacked from her lashline to her browbone(what ever it is ..its no good,because it crease like hell)..and its not neatly applied either..now she has a white ..PURE WHITE extensions in her hair..like cornrolls...anywho she's really darkskin like..nc60 (if there was such a color)...wearing pure white..everything everyday ..and she's like odd ..her teeth..are silly like ("IT" the clown guy) looking.. guess they stand out, because she wears this orange/red lipcolor..I treat her with respect..because who am I..but I do wonder why she does that??..but she soooo ultra sweet ..so I block my "WTF?" thoughts out of my head.

GlamQueen21

I've been wanting to buy Gesso for awhile and use it as a highlight for a smokey eye look. Maybe I'll purchase it one day.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominichulinda
...anywho she's really darkskin like..nc60 (if there was such a color)...

th_LMAO.gif
th_LMAO.gif
th_LMAO.gif
th_LMAO.gif
nonono.gif
th_LMAO.gif
th_LMAO.gif
th_LMAO.gif
th_LMAO.gif

NewlyMACd

I have Gesso but it's not really that bold on me. I'm thinking of trying a white pencil I have as a base, then the Gesso. It just wasn't as bold as I wanted it to be but nonetheless, it's white and I'm keeping it.

M.A.C. head.

I wanted to try white eyeshadow after seeing Devin do a tutorial with it. I bought Crystal Avalanche. I have yet to use it :/ Still too scurred. But I'm sure it will work out find. I'll probably pick up Gesso soon as well.

lovesong

Only for the inner corner
smiles.gif

I use a NYX white color jumbo pencil (can't remember the color right now) as a base.

d n d

I'm so glad someone else asked this question because I have read that Gesso is a good white for WOC and then some people have said it really doesn't show that well. Anyways, I saw that one person suggested Pure White or White pigment as a really good matte white.

QTAllStarGurl

looks like i need Gesso....but I've used Vanilla e/s (not pigment) and i really liked it but I had to really pack it on to get it to look the way i wanted it to.

milamonster

i use a shimmery white from lancome called drape. i use the base of bamboon & apply the whit eto the inner corners or inner 3rd (in my latest fotd is an example) but i want to get something that is white to use as a base like a paintpot or stick.

1QTPie

I think NYX's White is much better than MAC Gesso.

Crystal Avalanche, White Frost, Vanilla Pigment, Dazzlelight are all good "whites".

marikat

Try the Nyx white it's cheap so if you hate it no damage done. I would try that before going ahead and getting Gesso or any other white.

Sisa

I think a little "creamy" white like Vanilla fits best. Pure white sometimes looks to harsh.