WOC: The Hair Thread

Prettypackages

*Joins convo*

I've been natural since 2010 and I'm loving it so far (profile pic is from November 2011). I am a true pj so I won't list all of the stuff I use, just my HG items.

Shampoo- Creme of Nature Argan oil

Co Cleanser - Curl Junkie Daily Fix
As I am Co-wash

Conditioner- Tresemme Naturals (any)
Leave in- Darcy's Pumpkinseed
love.gif

Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie

Mosturizer - B.A.S.K. Palm Tapioca

Gel- Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel
Eco Styler
love your hair, mine is similiar. I might try some of these.

I used to be a product junkie. Now I just cowash with Sally's version of WEN, Hairone, (I LOVE THIS STUFF), and use some garnier fructis styling products. If I diffuse my hair. I use a keratin heat protector.

I used to be on the natural hair boards as much as I am on specktra. talk about addicted. I know now need to relearn everything and start over.

DILLIGAF

I'm dying to try anything from the following brands:

• Curl Junkies
  • Camille Rose Naturals
  • Qhemet Biologics
  • Anita Grant Rhassoul Blocks
  • Kamaza Care

MacNcheese

love your hair, mine is similiar. I might try some of these.

I used to be a product junkie. Now I just cowash with Sally's version of WEN, Hairone, (I LOVE THIS STUFF), and use some garnier fructis styling products. If I diffuse my hair. I use a keratin heat protector.

I used to be on the natural hair boards as much as I am on specktra. talk about addicted. I know now need to relearn everything and start over.
Thanks. I am on those boards regularly myself!

MacNcheese

I'm dying to try anything from the following brands:

• Curl Junkies
  • Camille Rose Naturals
  • Qhemet Biologics
  • Anita Grant Rhassoul Blocks
  • Kamaza Care

I really love curl junkie products and komaza califia pudding. The califia moisturizing spray from komaza did nothing for me. I still have camille rose and qhemet on my list to try.

Richelle83

Awesome to see this!! Natural since 12/08

HG's

Poo-
Kinky Curly Come Clean
Chagrin Valley Ayurvedic Herb poo bar

Conditioner-
Tresemme Naturals
Elucence Moisture Balance

Leave in-
Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion

Deep Conditoner-
Curl Junkie Deep Fix
Aubrey Organics Jojoba & Aloe

Protein-
Curl Junkie Repair Me!

Sealent-
Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar
Nubian Heritage Mango Butter

Lola(my hair) does not like nettle, aloe(left in), gel of most kinds, and proteins(left in).

sss215

Awesome to see this!! Natural since 12/08 HG's Poo- Kinky Curly Come Clean Chagrin Valley Ayurvedic Herb poo bar Conditioner- Tresemme Naturals Elucence Moisture Balance  Leave in- Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion Deep Conditoner- Curl Junkie Deep Fix Aubrey Organics Jojoba & Aloe  Protein- Curl Junkie Repair Me! Sealent- Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Nubian Heritage Mango Butter Lola(my hair) does not like nettle, aloe(left in), gel of most kinds, and proteins(left in).
I love Oyin's Burnt Sugar as a sealant! It's an amazing product and it lasts forever. I brought some Memorial Day weekend and I still have more than 1/2 left

Richelle83

I love Oyin's Burnt Sugar as a sealant! It's an amazing product and it lasts forever. I brought some Memorial Day weekend and I still have more than 1/2 left
It lasts forever! Glad they made the berries scent but I still prefer burnt sugar.

Oh I forgot, if coconut oil is too high on the list or if used by itself, Lola is not a happy camper.

sss215

It lasts forever! Glad they made the berries scent but I still prefer burnt sugar. Oh I forgot, if coconut oil is too high on the list or if used by itself, Lola is not a happy camper.
Never smelled the berry one. I started to get it, but the burnt sugar smells so good; I'm like if it isn't broke don't fix it!

msjaim

Ive been natural since about 1997 had locs twice in between. At 36 dont have the time or patience anymore, so im gonna comb a mild relaxer through it to cut down on thickness and lessen the tangling since my fine stands like to hug each orther. I have 3 different damn textures. .smh ...I want to actually retain some length

RaizinnthaSun

Wow. I'm glad that I came across this thread. Hair boards, can sometimes be overwhelming. I'm only 7 months post relaxer, and I've been wearing sew-in weaves. My hair is about APL and very thick. I'm definitely a 4c, 4d, and 5a textured person, and my hair has issues retaining moisture.

I'm at a crossroads as to what to do with my hair. I like to wear my hair straight, but I'd like the freedom to wear wash and gos. However, I have a very round, big cheeked face that I don't think looks as nice with short hair (yes, I somewhat hide behind my hair).
Also, I don't know how to braid or twist hair- which is a problem since it severely limits my styling options. But, my hair is so textured that I don't know how realistic it is for me to expect my hair to have any real health, in a relaxed and/or constantly heat straightened state.

So, I don't know if I'm going to continue to not relax, and be addicted to flat irons, blow outs, and/or sew in weaves for the rest of my life. Or, if I'm going to just bite the bullet and wear my natural hair- which I know will require a lot of patience and styling time.

Anyone with 4c, 4d hair have any suggestions?

DILLIGAF

Apparently Pantene has just jumped on the natural hair bandwagon with a new line of products that I initially mistook for the old Relaxed and Natural line they used to have. Anyone try these yet?

Pikahime

Just stumbled upon this thread!
So I'm texlaxed, which I love because it gives me the freedom to wear my hair curly with little to no manipulation (although I prefer the really defined curls from rod sets so I usually do those) but it also gives me the ability to wear it straight. I dyed my hair two years ago using boxed dyes (Before I learned that boxed dyes are evil if you want to go lighter) and it literally turned me ginger, which looked horrible now that I look back on it but I thought I looked cute. At this point its faded to a rust/brown shade and grown out to the very ends of my hair, but I'm about to retry dying my hair black (I tried it once before, it turned my hair green because I didn't use a red color filler before hand) because I look best with jet black hair (natural hair color is a redish brown). Unfortunately, thanks to a botched hair cut at a Dominican Salon who claimed she was "just trimming my ends", my hair is now styled in a asymmetrical bob with layers that are growing out (my longest layers are chest length and my shortest ones are just touching my back.
I co-wash pretty frequently (if anyone uses a cleansing conditioner they would recommend, feel free to let me know) and when I do shampoo I use one without sulfates. I clarify once a month to get rid of product build up.
I would really like to try the As I am Line and other lines similar to it. My hair gets dry more than anything so I look for moisture when looking for hair products I use Shea Moisture line which is... pretty good. It does it's job.The deep conditioner and the leave in conditioner are better than the shampoo though.
Does anyone here have experience with Carol's Daughter products? I know that the reviews on their things are pretty mixed. I've used the hair milk line for my rod sets and twist outs because it defines my curls, and I managed to get some of the Monoi Products (The set was on sale for 34 dollars at HSN!) but I haven't tried them yet.

MissTT

Pikahime - I've tried Carol's Daughter before and haven't been impressed. The hair milk was okay, but the oils I used had a strong (not necessarily in a good way) smell and seemed to sit on my hair. My hair never actually felt moisturized using the oils.

Can anyone recommend a really good moisturizer for low-porosity relaxed hair? I just can't seem to get my hair moisturized and suffered from a setback of lots of breakage this winter. (It's been crazy dry around here. Even my skin is suffering.) I was so disappointed when my stylist said he needed to cut a few inches off.

sss215

Apparently Pantene has just jumped on the natural hair bandwagon with a new line of products that I initially mistook for the old Relaxed and Natural line they used to have. Anyone try these yet?
I was wondering about that. The first thing I want to know is if the shampoo has sulfates in it. Yeah, cause sulfates are the worst. I haven't washed my hair with a shampoo with sulfates in it in 4 years.
Just stumbled upon this thread! So I'm texlaxed, which I love because it gives me the freedom to wear my hair curly with little to no manipulation (although I prefer the really defined curls from rod sets so I usually do those) but it also gives me the ability to wear it straight.  I dyed my hair two years ago using boxed dyes (Before I learned that boxed dyes are evil if you want to go lighter) and it literally turned me ginger, which looked horrible now that I look back on it but I thought I looked cute.  At this point its faded to a rust/brown shade and grown out to the very ends of my hair, but I'm about to retry dying my hair black (I tried it once before, it turned my hair green because I didn't use a red color filler before hand) because I look best with jet black hair (natural hair color is a redish brown).  Unfortunately, thanks to a botched hair cut at a Dominican Salon who claimed she was "just trimming my ends", my hair is now styled in a asymmetrical bob with layers that are growing out (my longest layers are chest length and my shortest ones are just touching my back. I co-wash pretty frequently (if anyone uses a cleansing conditioner they would recommend, feel free to let me know) and when I do shampoo I use one without sulfates. I clarify once a month to get rid of product build up.  I would really like to try the As I am Line and other lines similar to it. My hair gets dry more than anything so I look for moisture when looking for hair products  I use Shea Moisture line which is... pretty good. It does it's job.The deep conditioner and the leave in conditioner are better than the shampoo though.  Does anyone here have experience with Carol's Daughter products? I know that the reviews on their things are pretty mixed. I've used the hair milk line for my rod sets and twist outs because it defines my curls, and I managed to get some of the Monoi Products (The set was on sale for 34 dollars at HSN!) but I haven't tried them yet.
I have a monoi sample and I'm going to use it on my daughters hair. Since her curls are tighter than mine, I like to try stuff on her first. I love their mimosa heat serum when I am flat ironing. It's not sticky and it doesn't cause any oily buildup. I love the shine and its a great heat protectant. The chocolat blow dry lotion was extremely sticky

sss215

Ok so I used the monoi shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo gets your hair super squeaky clean and it's very hard to detangle the hair after washing with it. I didn't care for that. The conditioner, average and I didn't like the smell. The hair mask which I tried before is really nice though. Carol's daughter's skin line is awesome, but the hair products are very hit or miss with me.

Pikahime

The conditioner, average and I didn't like the smell. The hair mask which I tried before is really nice though. Carol's daughter's skin line is awesome, but the hair products are very hit or miss with me.

I was worried about the Monoi line stripping my hair because someone else mentioned to me that it can be a bit drying. And I totally understand about the smell, while I was taking everything out of the packaging I took their new serum that came with the conditioner and shampoo out of it's box to take a good look at it and the scent was so overpowering it gave me a headache. I have a feeling the smell will settle into my hair and not go away. I hope the shampoo doesn't make my hair tangly because I already have hair that tangles up very easily to begin with (so much so that my leave ins have to have a LOT of slip or detangling will take forever). I'll try it within the next two weeks because I'm freshly texlaxed and I usually don't shampoo until my second week (I do cowashes until then)

RaizinnthaSun

I was worried about the Monoi line stripping my hair because someone else mentioned to me that it can be a bit drying. And I totally understand about the smell, while I was taking everything out of the packaging I took their new serum that came with the conditioner and shampoo out of it's box to take a good look at it and the scent was so overpowering it gave me a headache. I have a feeling the smell will settle into my hair and not go away. I hope the shampoo doesn't make my hair tangly because I already have hair that tangles up very easily to begin with (so much so that my leave ins have to have a LOT of slip or detangling will take forever). I'll try it within the next two weeks because I'm freshly texlaxed and I usually don't shampoo until my second week (I do cowashes until then)
What do you use as leave-ins? My hair tangles when wet, and I'm having trouble finding leave-ins with slip. Silicon Mix, Givoanni, and KeraCare aren't getting it for me. My hair is still very tangly with these products. I have to wait until my hair dries 40%, to try to detangle.

sagehen

^^PBI: I like Yes To Cucumbers, Shea Moisture Volumizing, Kinky-Curly Knot Today for leave-ins with very good slip.

sss215

Pikahime - I've tried Carol's Daughter before and haven't been impressed. The hair milk was okay, but the oils I used had a strong (not necessarily in a good way) smell and seemed to sit on my hair. My hair never actually felt moisturized using the oils.

Can anyone recommend a really good moisturizer for low-porosity relaxed hair? I just can't seem to get my hair moisturized and suffered from a setback of lots of breakage this winter. (It's been crazy dry around here. Even my skin is suffering.) I was so disappointed when my stylist said he needed to cut a few inches off.
I just did the test and i have low porosity hair. i want to do the test again because low porosity needs special stuff... lol im confused because my hair gets so oily. i guess the oils are just sitting on top...

ok so i read a few articles so far, im really skimming the top on research because i haven't had much time to devote to this yet... so i am reading its harder for stuff to penetrate our hair. steam helps and so does baking soda treatments as pre poos. once we do that, anything should penetrate. i'm 12 weeks post relaxler since i want to try color instead, i may be giving up the creamy crack for good. now that i know i am low porosity, im sure this will help with my natural curls and stuff.

Latest posts