Work Trouble

GalleyGirl

Basically when I asked my boss a few weeks ago regarding Thanksgiving vacation, she responded that we only get Thanksgiving day off, because we're going to be open to the public on Black Friday and Saturday. Fine. But last week our administrative assistant/secretary asked for time off, and not only Got Black Friday off, but this Wednesday, thanksgiving, Friday, Saturday and next Monday off. Not because he had to travel to visit family, but so he could go party it up in Las Vegas. When I brought up to my boss that A) I didn't think this was fair to the rest of us and B) it was very discourteous of this employee to take the majority of Thanksgiving off and have the rest of us pick up his slack during this busy time. Her response? She knows its not fair, but rather than make everything fair for the employees she'd do something unfair for each employee at one time or another, and eventually it will all even out in the end. My response was that this was bad for employee morale, as it creates resentment amongst us - believe me, the next time Mr Administrative Assistant needs a favor, I am going to remember how he left us holding the bag for him on Thanksgiving, and I will not be the better person and help him out.
So fine, this dude gets an entire week off. However, our company doesn't hire temps, which is making me extra upset. They are just too cheap. Which means I and this other girl have to do his job AND our own jobs - so I have to be answering the phones, greeting customers, ringing up sales, fielding general problems while trying to do my own work and my own projects, which are under their own pressing deadlines. Not only that, but we're not trained to do what he does, so it takes us extra long, and we're prone to making mistakes because of it. Our gallery is always busy with people, which is why there was a full-time person handled to deal with sales and customer service.
Now I'm not doing much here buy whining, cause I guess that is all I can do. Anything I can bring up to the management that I already haven't that can get them to see how disruptive this is too us employees left holding the bag? Thanks for listening, I needed to vent, I seriously almost want to find another employer because of this. I just think it is so unprofessional the way it was handled.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

I hate that crap. I was in several similar situations at my old job. I ended up having to groom several dogs. and I was a Receptionist NOT a tech.. It took me 40 minutes to wash a golden Retriever. haha.. The owners were Unhappy.... I was unhappy.. my boss was unhappy.. but who got fired? ME!! it was bullshit.

anyhow. Perhaps next holiday you may get a little vacation?

giz2000

Here's my suggestion:

Put in for some days off during Xmas NOW...before someone else gets that brilliant idea.

That was not very professional of your manager...IMHO, either everyone gets flexibility, or no one does (especially in a retail-type place such as yours). Fair is fair. That being said, and considering her answer to you, it's time you get some "fairness" thrown your way...put in for Xmas!!!

YvetteJeannine

Gee....I wish I even had Thanksgiving DAY off!!!! In a half hour, I have to go in and work a 14 hr. day today!!!!! My husband is a chef, so he has to work too...so at least it's not like I'll be leaving him at home; but they'd better not think I'm working Christmas!!!! No other nurses want to work the holidays, and people have emergencies on those days, too! At least I'll be getting time 1/2 all day (extra Christmas money).

Sorry 'bout your dilemma....I hate workplace drama.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteJeannine
Gee....I wish I even had Thanksgiving DAY off!!!! In a half hour, I have to go in and work a 14 hr. day today!!!!! My husband is a chef, so he has to work too...so at least it's not like I'll be leaving him at home; but they'd better not think I'm working Christmas!!!! No other nurses want to work the holidays, and people have emergencies on those days, too! At least I'll be getting time 1/2 all day (extra Christmas money).

Sorry 'bout your dilemma....I hate workplace drama.

my mom works nights, and shes a Nurse.She almost ALWAYS works Thanksgiving Night, Christmas Eve and Christmas, and new years eve and New years day -Night..

sucks! but your right it does earn time and a half!

Raerae

It happens to everyone. Just do your best. I got stuck for 3 weeks doing the work normally done by 3 people in my office. Because the manager made a mistake and authorized the two other girls I worked with to have vacation at the same time. Pay was the same though =P