worker killed in wal-mart

MACLovin

What a bunch of animals! this is unbelievable.. Someone lost their life, all for some cheap piece of sh-t electronics and contaminated toys from China. Way to go, assholes.
nonono.gif

But I do agree with Tish, Walmart should have had a better system to deal with the amount of people they were expecting and the rush of maniacal bargain-hunters from hell that was sure to ensue. A simple policy of "back the hell up or we won't open the damn doors!" could have saved someones life. It's so tragic, yet preventable.
ssad.gif
My heart goes out to his family..

Willa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
People were inside the store sleeping all over the floor and reading magazines while they were waiting for the 5am sales to start...

Are you kidding me?
Mennn... like Hilly said, materialism is one ''hell of a sin''
nonono.gif

This is ridiculous, I try to avoid crowded spaces for that kind of reason, people act like fools to save 5$... come on, do you REALLY need it that desperatly???

noahlowryfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACLovin
What a bunch of animals! this is unbelievable.. Someone lost their life, all for some cheap piece of sh-t electronics and contaminated toys from China. Way to go, assholes.
nonono.gif

But I do agree with Tish, Walmart should have had a better system to deal with the amount of people they were expecting and the rush of maniacal bargain-hunters from hell that was sure to ensue. A simple policy of "back the hell up or we won't open the damn doors!" could have saved someones life. It's so tragic, yet preventable.
ssad.gif
My heart goes out to his family..

even if they did say "back up or we won't open the doors", they would still have rush in when the doors opens.

cuddle x bear

it's horrible how far people will go to save some money. my mom told me that 2 people died today at Toys R Us too because they were arguing and they had guns on them... at TOYS R US for crying out loud!

pink_lily002

Definitely very sad, and it annoys me to no end that people will do just about anything to save a few bucks. From reading a bit more about it, the crowd started pushing forward as the time got closer to 5am, and unfortunately that poor worker was caught in the rush when the doors were finally opened. How sad.

My mall was open at midnight. I haven't heard many stories yet about what happened, but I'm sure my store was pretty swamped at one point in the early hours. I know the Best Buy got a little hectic, since they have two entrances, but they have that bracelet system. Perhaps now Wal-mart will look in to that? Such a shame that something this awful would have to happen for them to consider that.

xStarryEyedX

people are disgusting and you have no idea how much i wish walmart would have canceled all of their sales on them and told them over the loud speaker how pathetic they all are. for what, a fucking tv? i hope they all realize what they did, but i can picture people waiting on line after hearing what happened and saying "but i still get my things, right?" it is absolutely PATHETIC the way people in this country are turning out to be.

panther27

Trampling people to get some shit,that is greedy,disgusting,and just shows how things have gotten out of control.

Penn

*shakes head* this is such a sad story, it's scary how sales can turn people into wild animals like that. This is why I try to avoid boxing day, some people get too caught up in it and act as if it's a life or death situation or something. My heart goes out to the poor man and his family.

redambition

when i heard about this, i felt sick.

are people really so caught up in saving a bit of money that another person's life and health mean absolutely nothing? how disgustingly selfish and greedy.

i can understand people being pushed by the crowd behind them and not being able to stop... but the fact that people just kept surging, refused to leave when told of the situation and blocked off emergency response? ugh.

while the people who did this make me feel sick, Walmart is also to blame. they created this hype by having very limited stock of certain items set to a really low price - where were the extra staff and security (hell, even police) for crowd control? surely they didn't expect that they'd only get a couple of people.

the whole stampede thing kind of reminds me of the boxing day sales here in Sydney. the stores open early and have a few awesome deals (but nearly everything is on sale for a good discount), and as a result there's usually a large line up. most of the time the crowds are well controlled, but seeing the stampede of the first few people into the store is crazy! they just run in, with the people behind them pushing and shoving.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
when i heard about this, i felt sick.

are people really so caught up in saving a bit of money that another person's life and health mean absolutely nothing? how disgustingly selfish and greedy.

i can understand people being pushed by the crowd behind them and not being able to stop... but the fact that people just kept surging, refused to leave when told of the situation and blocked off emergency response? ugh.

while the people who did this make me feel sick, Walmart is also to blame. they created this hype by having very limited stock of certain items set to a really low price - where were the extra staff and security (hell, even police) for crowd control? surely they didn't expect that they'd only get a couple of people.

the whole stampede thing kind of reminds me of the boxing day sales here in Sydney. the stores open early and have a few awesome deals (but nearly everything is on sale for a good discount), and as a result there's usually a large line up. most of the time the crowds are well controlled, but seeing the stampede of the first few people into the store is crazy! they just run in, with the people behind them pushing and shoving.

I totally agree...Everyone knows when Walmart lists these sales...they probably have 10 of an itemper store...Hence the reason for the rush! Walmart does this crap every year and the results are awful every year ...You would think they would be prepared and have people line up orderly, give them ticket item numbers or something. I guess once they get sued enough they will come up with a better Black Friday plan!

Beauty Mark

I feel like this happens every frickin' year though. I am not a Christian, but I know Jesus would be horrified by this.

In some ways, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more. Wal-Mart isn't the only store that does this kind of sale every Black Friday, no?

*Stargazer*

The pregnant woman involved didn't actually miscarry. She was treated and released at the hospital.

Wal-mart had a lot of extra security on hand, including the local police. These people actually, literally, broke down the doors to the store.

Quote:
"We expected a large crowd this morning and added additional internal security, additional third party security, additional store associates and we worked closely with the Nassau County Police," said Hank Mullany, Wal-Mart's vice president for the Northeast, in a statement. "Despite all of our precautions, this unfortunate event occurred."

Wal-Mart employee dies in Black Friday incident - Nov. 28, 2008

stacylynne

It's terrible. He was also a temp. for the holiday season. People get crazy this time of year.

On my way home from Thanksgiving dinner, we past by a Best Buy @ 11pm & they weren't opening the doors until 5am. We saw ppl camping out. I think it's nuts.

Guess what, Jan & Feb the electronic stores have huge sales. Especially TV's in Feb. for the suprebowl.

beauty_marked

This Walmart is about 10 minutes from my house. The majority of the people that shp their on a daily basis are animals. ive only been in there twice and I just refuse to be around such carless individuals. They drive recklessly around the parking lot and will hit your car if need be.

The people were SO UPSET that the store had not opened yet that they decided to take matters into their own hands and UNHINGE THE DOORS THEMSELVES!!! They say the door was crumpled like an accordion.

And even while they were trying to resusitate him they were stampedeing over the paramedics and police.

and whats even WORSE, is when they were directing employees out of the store because an employee had been killed, people refused because "they had waited on line all night."

And according to Nassau County police walmart DID NOT have enough security on hand for such a large amount of people.

It was so heartbreaking watching the victims father on TV. You can just see the heartbreak on his face. he was just in pure shock.

I work in retail, and I know the economy is hard, but the sale that was going on at 5 am will be there at 2 pm. Is it necessary??

beauty_marked

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylynne
It's terrible. He was also a temp. for the holiday season. People get crazy this time of year.

On my way home from Thanksgiving dinner, we past by a Best Buy @ 11pm & they weren't opening the doors until 5am. We saw ppl camping out. I think it's nuts.

Guess what, Jan & Feb the electronic stores have huge sales. Especially TV's in Feb. for the suprebowl.

and esp with the switch to DTV in Feb.

Latest posts