working at Sephora/nail-biting

tinfoiltrees

Hi everyone,
I've recently been thinking about applying to a local Sephora after being prompted by some of the workers there. However, I read in some discussions here that the Sephora dress code seems to include very clear rules about what nails should look like (well manicured, only a few colors are acceptable etc). Unfortunately, I am a nail biter. I only managed to stop once for a few months by making sure my nails were painted every day...which eventually led to them being weak and peeling off anyway. I am concerned that during an interview or while handing in my application they will dismiss me after seeing my bitten nails. They aren't too conspicuously ugly but they are very short and would look weird polished as they are. To employees of Sephora, is this a big issue at your work place? Is there anything I can do to fix them up a bit?

I just recently picked up a Sephora application too! Maybe try getting acrylics or something.. I mean how short are they? I feel that maybe a nude polish will look ok

tinfoiltrees

they are very short...if I had to guess, I would probably have to get fake nails and not just tips. but you're right, if I just file them neatly they might look ok with some nude polish. thanks for the advice!

Everett1125

Hiya,

I worked at Sephora for 2 years. We painted our nails any color we wanted to, and we had a couple girls whom bit their nails. I don't think it's a big deal ;) It's ALL going to be based on personality and experience.

Everett1125

Of course you preferably want to paint your nails with whatever is being sold or is the "trend" of the moment !

SubwayDreaming

If you are looking for a short-term solution, you might want to try some glue-on nails.

If you haven't tried them before, I recommend getting some to experiment with. Look for the shorter length nails -- they will look and feel the most natural. On me, they last about a week before they start to loosen.

lojical1

It really comes down to the manager (store director) at your location. I never experienced being limited on what nail colors I could wear, but if it's a big deal to you esteem wise maybe you should get some acrylics. Check out OPI at the store and find out the popular shades. Good luck!

Mabelle

Unless the manager is a total weirdo, biting your nails will not not get you the job. The dress code says nails must be manicured meaning they just cant be crusty and dirty. No chipped grungy nail polish.

I work at Sephora, and i am one of their "Experts" in store, i bit my nails a bit. But more than that, they break... which ends up the same, i have short nails. Just file them, and in the mean time, try to break the habit. When you interview, i would just wear a clear polish to not draw attention to them.