working too much for too little.

user46

do you guys ever feel like you put in so many hours at work, to get a shitty check? i've recently started a new job at victoria's secret. and its like .. i'm ALWAYS there. i get sooo many hours, and i get paid like 350 bucks for 2 weeks. first of all, i'm not used to getting paid bi weekly. and i have so much that i need to do with my money, that it's actually gone BEFORE i get the money. lol. its like .. ohh, got my check, lets pay that list of bills in my drawer. like, i can't get a break!

Holly

Absolutly. I work at superstore as a supervisor, so I'm on a salary. So any overtime that I work, I don't get paid for it. And lately I've been working 12+ hours a day, and not even being able to take my days off, because we've been having visits by the owners of the company, and by doing this, besides having a really good looking department, I get nothing out of it, besides exhaustion.

user46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly
Absolutly. I work at superstore as a supervisor, so I'm on a salary. So any overtime that I work, I don't get paid for it. And lately I've been working 12+ hours a day, and not even being able to take my days off, because we've been having visits by the owners of the company, and by doing this, besides having a really good looking department, I get nothing out of it, besides exhaustion.

aw hun, that sucks
ssad.gif

user46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I think quite a few people feel overworked and underpaid. Perhaps you'll get a raise soon?

hopefully, lol. i doubt it though.

gigglegirl

that's what I've found sucks in retail. You get paid minimum wage or slightly above, so even with fulltime hours (if you can even get them) the pay isn't fantastic. It definitely was motivation to find something else (in my case I was putting myself through university). Some people love retail and the sales and customer interaction--I personally got bored with the same 'ol every day so the long hours and lack of pay for what I felt I was worth made me dissatisfied.

Hilly

Not only is a small check hurtful to your bank account, but can also be mentally exhausting! Sigh!

Love Always Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACpro__*
do you guys ever feel like you put in so many hours at work, to get a shitty check? i've recently started a new job at victoria's secret. and its like .. i'm ALWAYS there. i get sooo many hours, and i get paid like 350 bucks for 2 weeks. first of all, i'm not used to getting paid bi weekly. and i have so much that i need to do with my money, that it's actually gone BEFORE i get the money. lol. its like .. ohh, got my check, lets pay that list of bills in my drawer. like, i can't get a break!

oooh girl i feel your pain!

2 jobs + 18 biochem credits + estee lauder internship = tired with no money still?

yeah ive been working at my dinky mall job since april and i am ALWAYS the one who steps up and picks up hours when people skip out on shifts or when they need people to do overnights. ive been promised a promotion and a raise from the district manager since june, and its never happened. this weekend i worked friday 12p to 12a, saturday 12p to 10pm, and sunday 11am to 9pm, and i know that depsite the lack of sleep, the lack of time to study, the swollen feet and the lowered self esteem from rude customers, its all for a less than 300 bucks. I even picked up a second job on campus as a waitress at the beginning of the semester and within 3 weeks i was promoted to student manager, but that pay is still less than what i make as a weekend warrior at the mall.
it makes me sad. but i love the people i work with and at least its not my career, and its only til i graduate and get a real job!

actually, after friday when my finals are over, i look forward to spending winter break doing nothing but working my dinky mall job and sitting around playing wii....

CantAffordMAC

Thats life...and it sucks. I get paid biweekly at the salon that I work, and its nothing. Thats because I only work there 3 days a week. The most I've gotten on a check there is $350-ish and that was like *gasp* a heart attack for me. My usual checks are between $250-$300. I sweep and swiffer the floors, wash sinks, change barbicide, dust EVERYTHING, do laundry, clean dishes and color bowls, straighten up everyone else's mess, wash hair, vacuum, scrub down everything, clean hairpieces.

For $8.25/hour. And I've been there for 10 months. no raise.

I just got a second job at a pharmacy and I thought I'd be getting 30 hours a week and they're starting to piss me off. I'm only getting like 20 somethin hours this week and like 15 next week. I need 30 hours a week, like I initially told them. The job is sooooooo boring and irritating and not my cup of tea, I'm just doing it for the extra money. And now I feel like its not even extra...Its like my damn checks at the salon.

Freaking ridiculous. I may as well try and get another job.
th_rolleye0014.gif

user46

i feel you Ivy! My feet be swollen too! lol, it just sucks. cuz im like yeaaa i got all these hoursss. then i total them up and it's like ... 430 bucks. and after taxes its like 330 bucks. like wtf? i'm trying to find another job, but idk where to go. i'd like to be a secretary of some sort, but for those jobs i'd think you'd need a resume? idk, i just need to get out of retail. i don't mind the people. but i do mind the work. just imagine a slow day at the mall ... if no one comes in the store, they just assign you busy work. oh, how i HATE fixing panties. i just can't work this much for as little as i'm making.

Love Always Ivy

lol im the opposite, i love the busy work - the little organizing projects, the folding stuff, the casheiring..... what i dont have patience for is rude haughty people!

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
lol im the opposite, i love the busy work - the little organizing projects, the folding stuff, the casheiring..... what i dont have patience for is rude haughty people!

I know right. Any work that doesn't really suck too badly, I'll be happy to do it if it makes time go by faster.

Rude cutomers are the worst. So freaking annoying...Like is it that serious that you have to get all pissy for no reason?

user46

yea, i be bout to smack people sometimes, lol. but it isnt THAT bad. i just hate saying the same thing to everyone. "do you need help today?" "are you looking for anything today?" "can i help you today?" my voice is like hoarse by the end of the day

alexisdeadly

I am in the same situation as you. I work at a children's group home for kids 4-13 who have been abused everyway you can imagine. I am constantly getting hit, spit on, kicked, bitten etc. I feel I am under paid especially since I have my Bachelor's. I love what I do. I guess I wouldn't complain about the pay if I were appreciated a bit more. I work overnights and hardly get to spend time with my family and friends.

/rant. Sorry!

Willa

When I realized that my boss wouldnt give us the raise we asked, I stopped being a ''slave'' for the company.

I do what I have to do, what I am asked to, but I don't work on weekends, neither after the normal hours.

My co-worker still do that (working her ass off) and she is always frustrated... Not for me.

V15U4L_3RR0R

I cannot currently pay myself and I make no profit at the moment but I work flat out. I'm a new business start up though so it's not much of a surprise lol. But hopefully in 6 months time I'll be starting to make a profit.

Willa

Quote:
Originally Posted by V15U4L_3RR0R
I cannot currently pay myself and I make no profit at the moment but I work flat out. I'm a new business start up though so it's not much of a surprise lol. But hopefully in 6 months time I'll be starting to make a profit.

I sincerely wish your company will work out well!
yes.gif

V15U4L_3RR0R

Haha thank you. I don't run a company thankfully. That's a whole different kettle of fish. I'm just a sole trader which is different.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
Thats life...and it sucks. I get paid biweekly at the salon that I work, and its nothing. Thats because I only work there 3 days a week. The most I've gotten on a check there is $350-ish and that was like *gasp* a heart attack for me. My usual checks are between $250-$300. I sweep and swiffer the floors, wash sinks, change barbicide, dust EVERYTHING, do laundry, clean dishes and color bowls, straighten up everyone else's mess, wash hair, vacuum, scrub down everything, clean hairpieces.

For $8.25/hour. And I've been there for 10 months. no raise.

I just got a second job at a pharmacy and I thought I'd be getting 30 hours a week and they're starting to piss me off. I'm only getting like 20 somethin hours this week and like 15 next week. I need 30 hours a week, like I initially told them. The job is sooooooo boring and irritating and not my cup of tea, I'm just doing it for the extra money. And now I feel like its not even extra...Its like my damn checks at the salon.

Freaking ridiculous. I may as well try and get another job.
th_rolleye0014.gif

I've done that before! I hated it when there would be stylists that couldn't clean up after themselves. Leaving foils in the sink, used color bottles all over the place, you name it. It takes two seconds to throw your foils away or toss the bottles in the dispensary sink. I worked with a bunch of primadonnas that thought they were at Frederik Fekkai or something. And for $hit pay! Don't forget answering phones and having people demand a HC RIGHT THEN even though you are booked all while someone is asking for clean towels.
rant.gif

Anyway, I feel the OP's pain, I have been there!