Worst Day of my Life

TamiChoi

11/25/08
heart.gif
My bf came home!

Amber*Christine

I know exactly how you feel, I've been in the same situation and I too was angry and depressed and then I realized there was absolutely nothing I could do about it so I shouldn't stress myself anymore. I just threw myself into work and made sure to write him plenty of letters, which he really appreciated. We made plans about all the things we'd do when he got out. It helps to think positive and to talk about the future with him, and before you know it he'll be out and the two of you can be together and happy!
smiles.gif

carandru

I so sorry to hear about this happening to you!! My nosey side wants to ask for was the original court date for, but that's neither here nor there. At this point, all you can really do is make the best out of the situation. 1) Find out when visiting hours are and go see him as much as you can. It will help to keep the morale up for both of you. And you can give him your phone number in person so he can call. If you can't go visit, write him as much as possible 2) Stay in contact with his lawyer to see if he can indeed get some type of bond. 3) Do what you can to not dwell on it. It is definitely harder than it sounds, but it won't help either of you if all you do is sit around and mope IMO. It will cause you to lose hope.

I'm not sure about the rules in the particular jail he's in, but prisoner's are usually given a specific time to make a phone call. So you should be able to find out when that is and know when to expect a call from him. I hope justice prevails in the end and everything works out for him!

crystalic_oxyge

im really sorry to hear that. just try to make the best out of it... dont drive yourself nuts and think positive. both of you just have to wait now and get along with the situation cause there is nothing else you can do. surely its dissapointing not being able to spend an anniversary together, thanksgiving, plus the birthday but its not the worst thing and it shouldnt be such a big deal for you atm because of the situation. wait, relax, and remember everything ends.... time does go by and soon you can be together again, and for now this is the most important for you guys.
take care.

TamiChoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandru
I so sorry to hear about this happening to you!! My nosey side wants to ask for was the original court date for, but that's neither here nor there. At this point, all you can really do is make the best out of the situation. 1) Find out when visiting hours are and go see him as much as you can. It will help to keep the morale up for both of you. And you can give him your phone number in person so he can call. If you can't go visit, write him as much as possible 2) Stay in contact with his lawyer to see if he can indeed get some type of bond. 3) Do what you can to not dwell on it. It is definitely harder than it sounds, but it won't help either of you if all you do is sit around and mope IMO. It will cause you to lose hope.

I'm not sure about the rules in the particular jail he's in, but prisoner's are usually given a specific time to make a phone call. So you should be able to find out when that is and know when to expect a call from him. I hope justice prevails in the end and everything works out for him!

The court date was for driving with a suspended license. The thing is, he got pulled over once and the state police said he's fine and just gave him a ticket. He still had his license. Then he got pulled over by a county police and they said his license is suspended. That's what I don't understand. If it was suspended to begin with, the state police should of taken his license that day. Also the county policeman was a diick. I can visit him next Tuesday and Saturday. He can't call since he used up his two minutes. I just paid $50 to his account so he could call my house phone. Tuesday feels like a long time from now. So does December. They haven't gave me any information on the lawyer yet. Hope to hear from them soon.

TISH1124

I think they can only make phone calls to a land line phone...Because all calls are monitored. But if he is only in there for tickets or such...Time is usually served within about 3 days and they are released. If he was arrested on a felony then he cannot be released until he goes to court

Also a Constable, state Trooper and local police officer does not always have the same info at a certain time...It just depends on when the records have been updated across the board...I have gone through this with my oldest step son ...But the problem is ...when we get a ticket ...if we don't pay it...there will be a warrant issued ....and eventually when we are stopped we will be taken to jail. It's sad but unfortunately it is the law.

kimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiChoi
Cops in my county are really strict and they're mostly racist jerks.

or they're just doing their job. :\ a warrant is a warrant, and they know when they see the warrant what it's for...they can't just look the other way. they do take an oath when they get that shiny badge and gun. i'm not trying to be insensitive, but i don't think the cops are the ones to blame in this situation...he's got to get his papers in order.

he probably has an ice hold on him right now, you're lucky that they're even letting you visit him. alot of people under ice holds aren't allowed visits. just try to keep your chin up, and if he really means that much to you, try to make him understand the importance of getting himself in order.

Blushbaby

Quote:
EDIT: So his aunt just called me and asked me "do you know his personal situation?" I was like
th_dunno.gif
what personal situation? She said "he doesn't have a social security number, green card, and his visa is expired so basically he's illegal in the US. He can get deported back to Korea." That made things even more upsetting. She told me that if he married me, it would be so much easier since I'm a citizen. I don't know what the marriage rules are for Virginia, but I know you could marry an inmate that's in jail. I'm speechless...
Any input would be appreciated.

I'm sorry you're so upset, I really am. However...after a year together he still hadn't told you something as important as this re: not having a social security no, green card, etc I sat open mouthed at my keyboard when I read that bit.

As well as being upset, I'd also be pretty angry now too! I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet. Both he and his Aunt have put you in a very difficult position and I think she was out of order for suggesting you marry him to keep him in the country! If you don't and he's deported - then you look like the bad guy which is utter B.S!

Ok, so you love him, but prior to all this happening had you even discussed marriage? I have so much more to say but you're fragile enough as it is and I can be pretty cutting at times.

Girl, I feel for you, I really do.

florabundance

You must be upset and confused, I really hope things work out for the best.
There are a lot of issues here that i'm not going to pass any judgement on because I feel almost like it really wouldn't be helpful. The only advice i'd give is to look at the situation for what it is, not for what it merely represents. Your man has been taken away from you. But why? Has he been honest and truthful in your opinion? It's one thing to be in love with someone and another to be blindly supportive of something you'd otherwise see as wrong.

Blushbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabundance
It's one thing to be in love with someone and another to be blindly supportive of something you'd otherwise see as wrong.

Quite.

TamiChoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushbaby
I'm sorry you're so upset, I really am. However...after a year together he still hadn't told you something as important as this re: not having a social security no, green card, etc I sat open mouthed at my keyboard when I read that bit.

As well as being upset, I'd also be pretty angry now too! I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet. Both he and his Aunt have put you in a very difficult position and I think she was out of order for suggesting you marry him to keep him in the country! If you don't and he's deported - then you look like the bad guy which is utter B.S!

Ok, so you love him, but prior to all this happening had you even discussed marriage? I have so much more to say but you're fragile enough as it is and I can be pretty cutting at times.

Girl, I feel for you, I really do.

You know, he has told me before, but I couldn't tell if he was serious or joking with me. It just didn't make sense to me as to how he's in the country without all those important documents.

I went to talk to his mom last night, she told me he does have a Visa, but it was stolen when someone took her purse a long time ago. She does have a copy though and also his passport got renewed and should be in the mail today.

My boyfriend and I discussed marriage wayyyy back. But I guess when the aunt suggested it, it came out the wrong way.
thmbdn.gif
I know he's not going to marry me because of citizenship. He's not like that and I know that for a fact.

I'm going to talk to his lawyer today and hopefully he should be back home tomorrow if the lawyer requests a bond from the judge today.

Blushbaby

Quote:
You know, he has told me before, but I couldn't tell if he was serious or joking with me. It just didn't make sense to me as to how he's in the country without all those important documents.

I went to talk to his mom last night, she told me he does have a Visa, but it was stolen when someone took her purse a long time ago. She does have a copy though and also his passport got renewed and should be in the mail today.

My boyfriend and I discussed marriage wayyyy back. But I guess when the aunt suggested it, it came out the wrong way.
thmbdn.gif
I know he's not going to marry me because of citizenship. He's not like that and I know that for a fact.

I'm going to talk to his lawyer today and hopefully he should be back home tomorrow if the lawyer requests a bond from the judge today.

Well at least you weren't in the dark about that then. Good news about his passport being renewed. I don't know the ins and outs of U.S immigration but am sure this will get sorted out.

Yeah his Aunt was a bit thoughtless in her wording but I'm sure it wasn't intentional
th_dunno.gif

Fingers crossed he's home tomorrow and try not to get yourself too wound up, ok?

malteze_bubbleg

I hope that he is not in serious trouble especially if he is here illegally. If he remains in prison make sure you keep writing him many letters because that helps a lot. But hopefully he wont be in there too long.

I also hope he did is not in trouble with immigration. I am not a US citizen. However, i am married to a US citizen and i havent been in the US for long. I did all my paper work and stuff in october and i know how difficult it is to do that process....they are very strict & it also takes several months until it gets issued.. did he tell them that the green card got lost??cos i know they are serious about stuff like that...they have a whole lot of rules....maybe you check uscis website for more info.

Do the police know hes illegal?

just keep on praying and stay positive for him.

TamiChoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by malteze_bubbleg
I hope that he is not in serious trouble especially if he is here illegally. If he remains in prison make sure you keep writing him many letters because that helps a lot. But hopefully he wont be in there too long.

I also hope he did is not in trouble with immigration. I am not a US citizen. However, i am married to a US citizen and i havent been in the US for long. I did all my paper work and stuff in october and i know how difficult it is to do that process....they are very strict & it also takes several months until it gets issued.. did he tell them that the green card got lost??cos i know they are serious about stuff like that...they have a whole lot of rules....maybe you check uscis website for more info.

Do the police know hes illegal?

just keep on praying and stay positive for him.

I think it's fine because his passport is renewed and he does have a US Visa. So that's a good thing.
smiles.gif
I think the next step is to get him to take the citizenship test.
thmbup.gif

jdechant

Sorry to hear about that babe, keep your head up high and hopefully he's home before Thanksgiving...Good luck!!
smiles.gif

NutMeg

I'm not going to be too bleak about this because I know this is a difficult situation for you, but he really doesn't come off very well in this situation. How long has he known that his visa was missing without doing anything about it? Immigration DOES NOT like that, even a little bit. The fact that he was arrested for missing a court date, which by the way is a huge no-no as well, and also doesn't have his very important documentation... Not good. I am a Canadian citizen and lost my passport, and trust me when you loose stuff like that they get pissed. I wasn't aware it was missing for a couple of months due to a move where my mother packed some of my stuff, and they basically treated me like I had given it to someone for illegal purposes because I hadn't reported it right away. Clearly they couldn't have deported me because I'm a citizen, but they did threaten to never give me another passport again, or if they did only a temporary passport for specific dates that I would have to prove before travel (luckily I am a dual citizen, so if they did that I would just use my other passport).

As for badmouthing the cops, I can't speak for the first cop you mentioned because I don't know the procedure for suspending one's license in your area, but I can see how that could be shady and frustrating. But don't blame the cop who arrested your bf for taking him away from you. The cop was just doing his job, your bf didn't obey the law by missing his court date and thus took himself away from you as a result of his actions.

I don't want to sound too harsh because I respect that you're going through a lot right now, and I applaud that you are being supportive and making it through this. But let's place the responsibility for this situation where it belongs.

TamiChoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg
I'm not going to be too bleak about this because I know this is a difficult situation for you, but he really doesn't come off very well in this situation. How long has he known that his visa was missing without doing anything about it? Immigration DOES NOT like that, even a little bit. The fact that he was arrested for missing a court date, which by the way is a huge no-no as well, and also doesn't have his very important documentation... Not good. I am a Canadian citizen and lost my passport, and trust me when you loose stuff like that they get pissed. I wasn't aware it was missing for a couple of months due to a move where my mother packed some of my stuff, and they basically treated me like I had given it to someone for illegal purposes because I hadn't reported it right away. Clearly they couldn't have deported me because I'm a citizen, but they did threaten to never give me another passport again, or if they did only a temporary passport for specific dates that I would have to prove before travel (luckily I am a dual citizen, so if they did that I would just use my other passport).

As for badmouthing the cops, I can't speak for the first cop you mentioned because I don't know the procedure for suspending one's license in your area, but I can see how that could be shady and frustrating. But don't blame the cop who arrested your bf for taking him away from you. The cop was just doing his job, your bf didn't obey the law by missing his court date and thus took himself away from you as a result of his actions.

I don't want to sound too harsh because I respect that you're going through a lot right now, and I applaud that you are being supportive and making it through this. But let's place the responsibility for this situation where it belongs.

His mom has a copy of the Visa. It's not the exact Visa because that was stolen, so they gave her a copy of it. That's the only one they have as of now. But at least they have it and at least he has a valid passport which just recently got renewed.

Coming to America is a pain the ass. I also know that for a fact because my parents and my whole family has been through the process. Luckily for me I was born in the US. I'm just starting to understand the whole situation and how to get him situated when he comes home.

Like said before, in the system, some but not all cops get different information. No one made it clear it was suspended until the last time he got pulled over. If it had been suspended for a long time, the State trooper should've taken it away from him, but he didn't. The county police that pulled him over took it away, but let him drive home. He really had no idea his license was suspended when he got pulled over.

Seeing the way the cop talked to my boyfriend, I can tell he was a total jackass. It's not bad mouthing, more of speaking the truth. I have never seen a cop talk to one in that manner so that made me furious to begin with. My boyfriend was very cooperative with him and he was flat out disrespectful. I even told him he didn't have to get an attitude. He cut me off when I tried to explain something to him and so I kept cutting him off as well. I personally don't give a damn who the authority is. If someone disrespects me I will tell them off. If I see something that isn't right, I'll say it; I don't kiss ass.

Okay, so some of you guys are saying cops are doing their jobs. Are they really doing their jobs when they let criminals go? I'm not just speaking on behalf of my bf's case. I had so many experiences where white cops let white girls/guys go, but when they see a minority, they go after them. Okay, so what did they do? Nothing! Cops just try to find a reason; especially at the end of the month.

1] A friend of mine got pulled over for following his GPS in the HOV lane.
The cops pulled over about 5 cars; they all happened to be male drivers. A girl drove pass with no passenger, the cop looked up and didn't tell her to pull over.

2] A cop stopped a friend for dark tint? When he checked, it was legal. The tint was legal from the dealership to begin with. Then he made up another excuse after he felt like a dumb ass. "Your exhaust is too loud." Stock exhaust? Are you kidding me? There goes a ticket. Didn't he feel like a fool in court.

3] This white boy was racing with my brother. My brother was in a SUV and had no intentions to race and the guy was driving a sports car with a loud ass exhaust and speeding all over the damn place. He had so many other cars high beaming his ass. The police pulled over my brother for honking at the guy and cutting him off. My brother almost got into an accident from the guy cutting him off continuous times.

AdlersMommy22

Quote:
His mom has a copy of the Visa. It's not the exact Visa because that was stolen, so they gave her a copy of it. That's the only one they have as of now. But at least they have it and at least he has a valid passport which just recently got renewed.

Coming to America is a pain the ass. I also know that for a fact because my parents and my whole family has been through the process. Luckily for me I was born in the US. I'm just starting to understand the whole situation and how to get him situated when he comes home.

Like said before, in the system, some but not all cops get different information. No one made it clear it was suspended until the last time he got pulled over. If it had been suspended for a long time, the State trooper should've taken it away from him, but he didn't. The county police that pulled him over took it away, but let him drive home. He really had no idea his license was suspended when he got pulled over.

Seeing the way the cop talked to my boyfriend, I can tell he was a total jackass. It's not bad mouthing, more of speaking the truth. I have never seen a cop talk to one in that manner so that made me furious to begin with. My boyfriend was very cooperative with him and he was flat out disrespectful. I even told him he didn't have to get an attitude. He cut me off when I tried to explain something to him and so I kept cutting him off as well. I personally don't give a damn who the authority is. If someone disrespects me I will tell them off. If I see something that isn't right, I'll say it; I don't kiss ass.

Okay, so some of you guys are saying cops are doing their jobs. Are they really doing their jobs when they let criminals go? I'm not just speaking on behalf of my bf's case. I had so many experiences where white cops let white girls/guys go, but when they see a minority, they go after them. Okay, so what did they do? Nothing! Cops just try to find a reason; especially at the end of the month.

1] A friend of mine got pulled over for following his GPS in the HOV lane.
The cops pulled over about 5 cars; they all happened to be male drivers. A girl drove pass with no passenger, the cop looked up and didn't tell her to pull over.

2] A cop stopped a friend for dark tint? When he checked, it was legal. The tint was legal from the dealership to begin with. Then he made up another excuse after he felt like a dumb ass. "Your exhaust is too loud." Stock exhaust? Are you kidding me? There goes a ticket. Didn't he feel like a fool in court.

3] This white boy was racing with my brother. My brother was in a SUV and had no intentions to race and the guy was driving a sports car with a loud ass exhaust and speeding all over the damn place. He had so many other cars high beaming his ass. The police pulled over my brother for honking at the guy and cutting him off. My brother almost got into an accident from the guy cutting him off continuous times.

Im sorry that you are so upset about everything but how about we dont turn this into a cop bashing thread?? My father puts on a bullet proof vest every day to make $22 an hour and protect people he doesnt even KNOW.

He just spent 4 hours overtime running through the woods searching for a kid who was being stalked by some crazy insane dude who had cut off the kid's arm.

Not all cops are good cops. But let's place blame where it belongs. Your boyfriend has done some things that aren't lawfull and thats why he's in jail. If the cop got an attitude with you and you "dont care who authority is" then there's a problem there sweetie.

These guys... all of them... do a lot more for you than you realize. Maybe not directly but indirectly.

I can make lists too- I can make lists with hundreds of times that my father ALONE has gone out of his way to save someone's life... to rescue children.. to take a bullet for someone... to be in a posistion to take a bullet for someone... to crawl through an open window and hold the hand of a woman who had been shot by her husband while he was still in the house threatening to kill both her AND my father-- and I can garuntee that same cop who took your boyfriend to jail has been in his fair share of situations as well.

Cops aren't JUST heros when they're racing into bombed buildings to rescue people. They're heros all the time.

THAT being said- Im sorry everything is going on to make you so upset.. I will pray for you and your boyfriend that everything gets worked out
yes.gif

TamiChoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdlersMommy22
Im sorry that you are so upset about everything but how about we dont turn this into a cop bashing thread?? My father puts on a bullet proof vest every day to make $22 an hour and protect people he doesnt even KNOW.

He just spent 4 hours overtime running through the woods searching for a kid who was being stalked by some crazy insane dude who had cut off the kid's arm.

Not all cops are good cops. But let's place blame where it belongs. Your boyfriend has done some things that aren't lawfull and thats why he's in jail. If the cop got an attitude with you and you "dont care who authority is" then there's a problem there sweetie.

These guys... all of them... do a lot more for you than you realize. Maybe not directly but indirectly.

I can make lists too- I can make lists with hundreds of times that my father ALONE has gone out of his way to save someone's life... to rescue children.. to take a bullet for someone... to be in a posistion to take a bullet for someone... to crawl through an open window and hold the hand of a woman who had been shot by her husband while he was still in the house threatening to kill both her AND my father-- and I can garuntee that same cop who took your boyfriend to jail has been in his fair share of situations as well.

Cops aren't JUST heros when they're racing into bombed buildings to rescue people. They're heros all the time.

THAT being said- Im sorry everything is going on to make you so upset.. I will pray for you and your boyfriend that everything gets worked out
yes.gif

Word, never said all cops are bad. Thanks though.

Latest posts