Wound/cut (it's okay, it's just makeup!) ;-)

metal_romantic

10134_103025776377148_100000091792920_87266_6025185_n.jpg

I just did this for an assignment (theatrical makeup). Does it look real (-ish)?
I hope this is the right place to post this- I didn't think there was an AOTD (arm of the day) thread.... haha

Lemme know if you want to know how to do it :)

Anna Phalactyc

That is awesome! I don't see deep gouge wounds often (or ever), but looks authentic to me. I'd love to hear how it's done...

metal_romantic

Thanks!

Materials:
Artificial Flesh aka Mortician's Wax, optional Spirit Gum if needed to make it stick, optional vaseline or oil
Makeup sponge (a latex wedge is best)
Foundation (panstick type is best) and optional powder
Supracolours/theatrical paint in black & dark red, optional pink and bright red
Knife (not sharp! We don't want any REAL cutting to occur) or spatula
Synthetic hair brush/es
Fake blood- "jelly" type and optional "runny" type (I used a $35 bottle of professional jelly blood and two different $2 bottles of blood I got from a variety store at halloween, lol. Cheap blood is really luck-of-the-draw as one I bought was runny and the other was VERY thick but they are not labelled as such)
Tissue or optional porous sponge

Method:
Make sure the surface arm (or other body part) is clean and dry, but not moisturised. Depending on how sticky your artificial flesh is, you may need to apply a thin coat of spirit gum to the area.

Cut a chunk of flesh from the container. Warm it with your fingers. Mold it into the shape you want (don't worry about the cut, that comes later) and place on the arm. Pat and gently pull the edges with your fingers tot he edges become less obvious. You may need to put a bit of vaseline (petroleum jelly) or oil on your fingers first if the type you're using isn't really soft and pliable (cheap ones from "halloween" kits usually aren't, but the expensive theatrical versions are very malleable). Sponge on your panstick to blend in the edges further.

Use your spatula or knife to slice your wound! It doesn't need to be really deep.

Use your black paint on a brush to colour in the cut to give it depth. It will look kinda crap at this point, but don't worry.

Paint the dark red/garnet colour around the edges of the wound. You can dab some of the bright red if you wish.

Apply your pink colour to a sponge and dab it around the wound so it looks swollen. This is good if the wound is supposed to be fresh or reasonably recent, but not really for an older wound. It's up to you. (I did for the picture).

Apply the black colour to the sponge and dab all around. You can also dab some of the dark red if you like. Use your porous sponge if you want it to look "gravelly" (I didn't in this instance).

Use a porous sponge or a tissue (the quick and easy option- that's what I used) to dab some jelly blood all around. It looks like congealed blood. You'll also want to apply some around the cut, so use a brush.

Now for the optional running blood (for fresher wounds). Apply in the cut and let it run! It's not super runny, so be patient and blow on it if it needs a little help.

:)

metal_romantic

Thanks everyone for your feedback, you've been very encouraging. I was unsure as to how real it looked... I'm very critical and not really sure how the real thing looks. I suggested to my boyfriend that I cut the other arm for real and compare the two, but he wasn't too keen on that idea.

RedRibbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_romantic
Thanks everyone for your feedback, you've been very encouraging. I was unsure as to how real it looked... I'm very critical and not really sure how the real thing looks. I suggested to my boyfriend that I cut the other arm for real and compare the two, but he wasn't too keen on that idea.

lol.gif
It looks really realistic to me, I love the way you were able to get the depth of the cut looking so realistic.

metal_romantic

Bruising and aging are my next projects ;-)
See, makeup isn't all about making you look gorgeous, healthy and youthful- you can also make yourself look gross, wounded and old!

If anyone else does theatrical and/or special effects makeup, I'd love to discuss it
smiles.gif

blackeneddove

Mannn.. and you can do the same method on your face? Or not? I've heard of liquid latex, I've never used it or even seen it anywhere.. or some of the stuff you've mentioned either, actually. But I would loooove to do cuts and scrapes like that on my face for Halloween, to be a zombie.. thanks for explaining how to do this! It looks so real!

metal_romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeneddove
Mannn.. and you can do the same method on your face? Or not? I've heard of liquid latex, I've never used it or even seen it anywhere.. or some of the stuff you've mentioned either, actually. But I would loooove to do cuts and scrapes like that on my face for Halloween, to be a zombie.. thanks for explaining how to do this! It looks so real!

You should be able to do this on your face, BUT the blood can stain, so you might want to buy it from somewhere that have sales assistants that know their products well, so they can tell you if it will. The professional products should be much better than your cheap halloween blood. (I've only really noticed staining witht he cheaper bloods, but you might want to check it out). On the arm, a stain is okay (wear off in a day I think, like if you drew on yourself with a marker) but not so much on the face, lol. I'd apply a tiny bit of the products to your face first to test that you don't have a reaction to them before putting on the whole lot, as it would be difficult to remove at a party if you started getting uncomfortable.

If you do it, please post some photos ;-)

Latest posts