www.freerice.com - help to fight world hunger

kaneda

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone has heard about this website:FreeRice

but thought that I would make a thread about it.

Basically, it's the sister site to the world poverty site (www.povery.com). It's an english vocabulary online word game, where for every word you answer directly, the site donates 20grains of rice to hungry people for free, which is made posisble because of the sponsors who advertise on the site. It has already generated enough rice to feed 50,000 people for one day according to the bbc news website BBC NEWS | Europe | Web game provides rice for hungry, and it linked on the world food programme website WFP

Bit of spiel from the website:

Who pays for the donated rice?
The rice is paid for by the advertisers whose names you see on the bottom of your vocabulary screen. This is regular advertising for these companies, but it is also something more. Through their advertising at FreeRice, these companies support both learning (free vocabulary for everyone) and reducing hunger (free rice for the hungry). We commend these companies for their participation at FreeRice.

If FreeRice has the rice to give, why not give it all away right now?

FreeRice is not sitting on a pile of rice―you are earning it 20 grains at a time. Here is how it works. When you play the game, advertisements appear on the bottom of your screen. The money generated by these advertisements is then used to buy the rice. So by playing, you generate the money that pays for the rice donated to hungry people.

Will the rice I donate make a difference?

The rice you donate makes a huge difference to the person who receives it. According to the United Nations, about 25,000 people die each day from hunger or hunger-related causes, most of them children. To a mother or father watching a loved child die in their arms from hunger, the rice you donate is more precious than anything in the world.

newagetomatoz

Thanks for sharing!! One of my friends made a post of this in her blog, so of course I have to play it!

I love words, and games, and doing a good thing, so this is the best of all worlds!! I've even got my sister hooked on it!!

makeup_wh0re

thanks for sharing
smiles.gif