Yerba Mate

VogueInfection

In my Spanish class we have to make some kind of traditional food or drink from our assigned coutry.
I was assigned Uruguay.
Since I don't want to smell like some kind of food all day, I found out that Uruguay is famous for its "Yerba Mate" tea.

Has anyone heard of this?
If so where can I find it?
(Besides Uruguay)
hmm.gif

*Luna*

Argentina is also well known for this. You can find it in a Yerberia if you have one locally... try yahoo yellow pages. You can also find it at a place like Whole Foods, thats where I get mine. It's in a box with the rest of the teas but it's rather expensive, like $5-$8 per box. If you really want to be authentic you would want the real stuff though, not boxed and they you drink it out of cups like this

YK8I8615-YMTKit-small.jpg

It's very strong and definetely an acquired taste but I LOVE it... My grandparents were born and raised in Argentina and I grew up drinking the stuff. YUM =) If you need anymore info feel free to PM me =)

glueme

Yerba Mate is getting really popular these days, so you'll most likely be able to find it at any gourmet grocer or health/organic food store.

giz2000

You can also probably find Materva, a yerba mate soda, in your grocery store...it's really good and tastes a little like cream soda.

kaliraksha

It is really good, I discovered it at one of our local coffee houses and it's so delicious. I buy mine at Whole Foods and recently it's been put in diet pills so I wonder if it has a relation to green tea?

VogueInfection

Thank you!

I found a place locally called Martha's Health Food & Herbs.
So my mom is going to go look there on her lunch break.
Hopefully they have it... if they don't I think we have a GNC somewhere in town.

VogueInfection

My mom found it! She also got me one of those authentic straw things they drink it out of so I can show the class.
So I made a test batch last night to make sure I wouldn't kill over or something. It's alrgight. It kinda has a sweet taste to it.
My spanish class is in 4 hours, so I'll see how it goes then.

Thanks again to everyone!

thmbup.gif

Latest posts