You have the right ot religious freedom - UNLESS youre Muslim???

hello_my_apple

I know you guys all know what's goin on in the news. I REFUSE to believe that we as Americans are that ignorant to equate the Islamic faith to Jihadism, or those who are involved in Al-queda(?) Bryan Fischer of American Family Assoc. said "it might turn into a place to train terroist". Are you freaking kiddng me!!!!! I dont understand how people can think building this Mosque near ground zero will be like "spitting on the 3,000 graves of those who died on 9/11". People tend to forget that muslim americans have died in the war and on 9/11 .. what kind of world are we living in? what are you guys thoughts on this ...

Mabelle

uhhh. wtf?
I'm not American. And i currently have no television/newspaper access, but from what im understanding from your post WTF?!?! This makes me incredibly sad and frusterated.
I know that most Americans are smart, accepting, compassionate people. Unfortunatly you have too many fucking crazy assholes with on soapboxes crying to be heard. These people need no qualifications to put their opinions, which are SO often detrimental, out there. And for some reason, there are SO many outlets for these nutters in the US. Most of our (Canada's crazies) don't make it past their city counsel, if not the neighbours. I feel It's the whole freedom of speech thing. I have an opinion therefor i must share it no matter how uneducated it is. Well, im sorry, but i think your freedom of speech needs to be revisited. Opinions and beliefs are like assholes, everyone has them, as just cause you have one doesnt mean i want it shared with me. More than likely your opinion/asshole will ruin my day.

I'm just SO frusterated when i hear this crap. It makes your entire country look so ignorant sometimes. I know most of you are not so god damned prejudice and stupid, but this kind of thing promotes such awful sterotypes of Americans.

People like this should be muzzled and kept in a dark basement. The end. Sorry if i offended, i certainly did not mean to. Infact, i meant to do quite the opposit.

Edited to add: Again, i dont really know the situation, but from what i took from the OP it just seems like someone wants to build a mosque near what was the WTCs and people are being horrible and racist and general wastes of life.

hello_my_apple

Mabelle i wish i could agree but it seems most of us are .. 70% of the country think they shouldnt build it. my question is how in the fuck is that insensitive to the victims and their families? they act like they are building a terroist training center! i WISH someone would tell me i cant practice my religion in my country, where i pay my taxes!

reesesilverstar

Honestly, I don't think a mosque should be built there, and I'm a Muslim, for this very reason. Since the propaganda machine started from 9/11 Islam has been dehumanized and demonized, and I think it's irresponsible to the rest of us Muslims to bring MORE un-needed attention from the abusive and ignorant out there who will make outlandish associations and claims to terrorism, jihad, etc. There are so many mosques nearby in NYC that I fear will come under attack because, like you said, there are crazies out there looking for an outlet for their misplaced anger and fear.

Mabelle

^ Unfortunatly, youre probably right
ssad.gif

Shimmer

Hey, it's cool to build a mosque there.

As long as they don't bitch when their next door neighbor is a titty bar.

reesesilverstar

*Sigh* I don't even know what to say... I'm so disillusioned with people right now...

Maybe we need the optimism of those who see the good in having it built? lol... *Sigh*

hello_my_apple

i hear you, but i feel like why should they win? people should educate themselves about your religion. If i were you i'd be pissed that this. Everyone is saying " this building was devesated by the attack, it's a monument" so why all of a sudden NOW when the Mosque is supposed to be built there it's disrespect. Noone gave a shit if that building crumbled and rotted before. I wonder if it was going to be a Macy's would people say it's a disrespect to the vitcims. There is such a disrespect towards those good and kind Islamic people who just want a place to worship. 9/11 was an attack on America as a whole, people were afftected everywhere, if thats the case then should they not be able build a mosque on American soil? Planes were used as weapons against us. So does it mean that it's insensitive to muslims to board a plane with you? People just need to get over their ignorance and prejudice, because it's getting disgusting, and i'm ashamed to American right now because i cant believe we are acting like this.

hello_my_apple

hey it's new york lol. but i agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Hey, it's cool to build a mosque there.

As long as they don't bitch when their next door neighbor is a titty bar.

reesesilverstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_my_apple
i hear you, but i feel like why should they win? people should educate themselves about your religion. If i were you i'd be pissed that this. Everyone is saying " this building was devesated by the attack, it's a monument" so why all of a sudden NOW when the Mosque is supposed to be built there it's disrespect. Noone gave a shit if that building crumbled and rotted before. I wonder if it was going to be a Macy's would people say it's a disrespect to the vitcims. There is such a disrespect towards those good and kind Islamic people who just want a place to worship. 9/11 was an attack on America as a whole, people were afftected everywhere, if thats the case then should they not be able build a mosque on American soil? Planes were used as weapons against us. So does it mean that it's insensitive to muslims to board a plane with you? People just need to get over their ignorance and prejudice, because it's getting disgusting, and i'm ashamed to American right now because i cant believe we are acting like this.

I agree with you. But I've participated in discussions, even right here on Specktra, and the fact is that ppl are lazy. Nobody wants to go find out for themselves and do some research. I guess it's much easier to just gather information by osmosis.

kaliraksha

While I think they have every right to build where anyone else would be able to, I'm not sure I would want to if it was in a position to make the decision. Mostly because I worry about their safety and the amount of protest they might receive.

There are far weirder things going on in America like some southerner's display of affection for the Confederacy... or statues of General Lee. If they are going to oppose this, then we may have to go back in history to look at what we currently allow.

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha
While I think they have every right to build where anyone else would be able to, I'm not sure I would want to if it was in a position to make the decision. Mostly because I worry about their safety and the amount of protest they might receive.

There are far weirder things going on in America like some southerner's display of affection for the Confederacy... or statues of General Lee. If they are going to oppose this, then we may have to go back in history to look at what we currently allow.

yes i agree with this. I think it is crazy that the world tends to paint people with the same brush, really Muslims should be able build this wherever they want. But i think that if it did go ahead, then perhaps it would not be safe and some stupid people might start trying 'revenge' attacks and such
nope.gif
which would not be good for anybody.

Simply Elegant

Of course they should be able to build a mosque if they want. However I don't think it's a good idea. Just being honest, I think it would be vandalized or burnt down. People have strong feelings about that day and I think some would go that far feeling that it would be wrong to build one there. There are so many other places available it doesn't make sense to go for such a controversial location.

Shimmer

Quote:

Gotta disagree. Most people view Ground Zero as pretty much hallowed, sacred ground. I know I do. I know even the OKC Bombing Memorial is something I consider worth approaching solemnly and respectfully.
It's not about disrespecting Muslims. It's about asking that a religion so closely connected to those attacks to simply let it be.

And yes, I'll be completely honest, I'm fairly strongly anti-Islam. I don't believe it's a peaceful religion at all (and that's based on conversations I've had with very close Muslim friends of mine), nor do I believe it's the woman friendly feminine respecting religion people have tried to convince me it is.

Oh and I'm also anti-Mormon, too, while I'm heading out on this limb may as well go all the way.

Shadowy Lady

I'm sorta anti-all-religions and personally don't find any of them fit in today's society. I also don't believe in anything "holly" as a result. I agree with Shimmer about some religions being more violent that others as well. It does not make all their followers violent though. Also, ppl do have the right to practice their religions and build places of worship (as long as they don't force me to go with them, lol!). Same way they're allowed to express their opinions if not harming other citizens.

I agree with ppl that say this is not a good idea. The mosque will prob receive threads at the least if not more. I don't know why they want to build this mosque at such a controversial location
th_dunno.gif
. Nothing good can come outta this. The only way I can see this working out is to build a sorta "all religion" centre where ppl can be educated on different religions, so muslims, christians, jews,... can all attend. That is never gonna happen though, maybe in faaaaaar future, not today
nope.gif

hello_my_apple

So just to put this out there, it's NOT on ground zero. That building stood idle and abandoned for almost 10 years .... like i said before if that building rotted or crumbled ........ i'm not even muslim but i'm offended by your "anti-Islam" comment. Alot of idiots will use religion to justify their diabolical actions. I think youre from the south so you should know how whites justified slavery, and Jim Crow w/ the "word of the Lord". So i should be anti-christian? should you be anti-christian? those atrocities were not something i'd call peaceful. like i said before people need to REALLY get over their prejudice and ignorance ... THOSE PEOPLE commited the attacks on 9/11. NOT the religion of islam.

anything else youre anti on? cause youre on a roll here girl, lmao.

Quote:
Gotta disagree. Most people view Ground Zero as pretty much hallowed, sacred ground. I know I do. I know even the OKC Bombing Memorial is something I consider worth approaching solemnly and respectfully.
It's not about disrespecting Muslims. It's about asking that a religion so closely connected to those attacks to simply let it be.

And yes, I'll be completely honest, I'm fairly strongly anti-Islam. I don't believe it's a peaceful religion at all (and that's based on conversations I've had with very close Muslim friends of mine), nor do I believe it's the woman friendly feminine respecting religion people have tried to convince me it is.

Oh and I'm also anti-Mormon, too, while I'm heading out on this limb may as well go all the way.

Shimmer

Quote:
So just to put this out there, it's NOT on ground zero. That building stood idle and abandoned for almost 10 years .... like i said before if that building rotted or crumbled ........

That's fine. It's within a reasonable proximity to GZ that the sentiment remains.
Quote:
i'm not even muslim but i'm offended by your "anti-Islam" comment.

Okay.
Quote:
Alot of idiots will use religion to justify their diabolical actions. I think youre from the south so you should know how whites justified slavery, and Jim Crow w/ the "word of the Lord". So i should be anti-christian? should you be anti-christian? those atrocities were not something i'd call peaceful. like i said before people need to REALLY get over their prejudice and ignorance ... THOSE PEOPLE commited the attacks on 9/11. NOT the religion of islam.

anything else youre anti on? cause youre on a roll here girl, lmao.

Yeah, actually.
I'm anti anyone who justifies their actions with religion.
Religion and spirituality shouldn't be shoved on other people, by anyone. It's purely a matter of personal worship.
I'm anti bigot.
Anti religion, but pro faith.
Anti abortion, but pro choice.
Anti affirmative action, but pro equality.
Anti fundamentalist anything.
Anti extremist anything.

hello_my_apple

In my opinion if was 20 blocks from Ground Zero it would have still been an uproar. The funny thing is there an organization of 9/11 families who are actually advocating for the center to be built there. so it make me wonder where EXACTLY this sentiment stems from .... i can totally vibe w/ the fact that people fear the safety of the people who are going there to worship or play basketball. They dont want any harm done to them thats why they dont want it there. but lets keep it honest, people think that this center will breed a new form of home grown terroist.

I agree that you shouldnt shove your religion down someone's thoat.

Quote:
That's fine. It's within a reasonable proximity to GZ that the sentiment remains.

Okay.

Yeah, actually.
I'm anti anyone who justifies their actions with religion.
Religion and spirituality shouldn't be shoved on other people, by anyone. It's purely a matter of personal worship.
I'm anti bigot.
Anti religion, but pro faith.
Anti abortion, but pro choice.
Anti affirmative action, but pro equality.
Anti fundamentalist anything.
Anti extremist anything.

Shimmer

Quote:
In my opinion if was 20 blocks from Ground Zero it would have still been an uproar. The funny thing is there an organization of 9/11 families who are actually advocating for the center to be built there. so it make me wonder where EXACTLY this sentiment stems from .... i can totally vibe w/ the fact that people fear the safety of the people who are going there to worship or play basketball. They dont want any harm done to them thats why they dont want it there. but lets keep it honest, people think that this center will breed a new form of home grown terroist.

I agree that you shouldnt shove your religion down someone's thoat.

Considering there's a fair part of America, educated and not, northern, southern, eastern, western, liberal, libertarian, conservative, young, old, male, female...whatever...who don't want the thing built, I think you're making a fairly sweeping generalization.

reesesilverstar

I thought originally that it was a cultural center. At least that was the first story I heard. It's only recently I've been hearing that it's a mosque.

I'm also just putting it out there that muslims just may have had nothing to do with 9/11 since it still hasn't been thoroughly investigated. But if it has let me know where I can find the report or get close to it to read.

Latest posts