You seriously have to be kidding me.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
It's better to eat several small meals a day than three large ones, numerous studies have shown this.

I eat 3 small meals a day =P

Raerae

Quote:
This isn't true.
Many patients who undergo GBS HAVE been fighting the weight for a LONG time, and NOT been able to lose the weight necessary to improve their health.
Yes there are individuals like the ones you mentioned but given the risks of GBS and the fact that most surgeons require psyche eval (at least any of the surgeons I worked with did) as well as counseling before permitting the surgery, those individuals are far fewer than the ones who undergo the surgerybecause it's medically necessary.

Is it really medically necessary though? For anyone? All having a smaller stomache does is make you feel full faster, and prevent you from eating too much in a single sitting.

You could get the EXACT same results by just eating a smaller portion. And having a little bit of willpower.

Just cuz it's on your plate doesn't mean you have to eat it. Just cuz your stomache is the size of a football, doesn't mean you have to fill it. Learn a little restraint.

I woulnd't be surprised if the majority of the people who get gastric bypss surgery, eventually gain back all the weight. Since it's a self control thing, more than anything.

A guy friend I have known since forever had a serious weight problem when he was 18. he was the type of guy to order a Wendy's burger with 4 patties, supersize the order, and get a large frosty on top of the large coke. And eat every last bit. He used to eat all sorts of high fat foods. Lots of red meats, processed foods, ice cream, not to mention alcohol.

Some point he decided he was over it, and started strickly regulating his diet. A specific amount of $ per week to spend on a specific type of food, portioned out for 7 days, for a total of about 1600 calories a day. Red meat got replaced with turkey breast, fries got replaced with salads, etc.

He was pushing 300 a few years back, beer gut and all. All of thats gone now. He's back in the 100's, attractive, ACTIVE (plays sports and goes hiking now, he didn't b4), and a lot healthier than he was in the past. Results not typical? No, he just had the restraint to watch what he eats.

Raerae

Quote:
you're also underweight. And I'm not saying that to be mean.

On some days =P I was 111 on the scale today! =P

Shimmer

Have you thought about talking with your physician? You may be exhibiting signs of an eating disorder that could do serious damage to your health.

Raerae

Quote:
Have you thought about talking with your physician? You may be exhibiting signs of an eating disorder that could do serious damage to your health.

Nope
winks.gif
I've been at my current weight for as long as I can remember. I have no interest in losing weight, and would be happy with gaining a few here and there. So no, it's not ED related. Thanks for caring!
winks.gif

Shimmer

Perhaps a visit with a dietician or a physician regarding eating habits or a diet created for the purpose of adding a bit of weight to your frame would help.
smiles.gif

Raerae

Probably, but that would involve spending more money on food than i want too per month =P

Raerae

Besides, i'm the anti-binge eater, I dont eat, when i feel depressed, instead of pigging out =P So if i have a bad day, i just wont feel hungry and i'll lose like 3-5 lbs in one day
winks.gif
So gaining weight probably isn't gonna happen
winks.gif

Raerae

I get regular checkups every 3 months. Not to mention I had that heart test where the put the little sticky cups on you and measure your heart rate for cardiovascular disease, EKG or something done last year and was fine
smiles.gif

I'm not really underweight as much as I have a really small frame, so while i may not weigh a lot, I'm also not unhealthy. Everyone's body is different
winks.gif

Kim.

This is sort of off topic but regarding people on this post talking about foods people should eat and excersise it's not all black and white. I suffer from chronic migranes (they can last 2 weeks plus) and it's really hard for me to excersise when I have the migrane (I know excersise helps them), when I have the migrane I usually get depressed and sad because I'm in so much pain about that and other things. I'm also taking other medications that have side effects such as weight gain and other things that make things that would be easy for most people, difficult. It's so simple to say someone who is overweight to excersise and eat right but some people are experiencing side effects to a lot of medications that are out there, being overweight for ME and many other people in America and Canada is epidemic. It's not even about the food, food for many people is just used to self medicate, to take away pain, sadness just like excessive alcohol, drugs etc. I totally understand about parents like you guys watching what your children eat and limiting tv time but a lot of families work hard hours and are just scraping by, trying to do their best. I'm definitly not saying that that's an excuse but it does make things harder. When your children get to a certain age you can't be watching over them 24/7 and they are bound to be exposed to junk food, pop etc. I totally respect you guys and your opinions but some things are not all black and white. I think people should work on educating parents about healthy food choices instead of criticizing.

Ps. Sorry I went off topic but I had to get some of that out.

Wattage

^ Thank you for that, Kim. I completely agree that the problem is not as black and white as "Don't feed your kids crap". It delves much deeper into sociological and psychological issues that our society and its members face. It is a very, very complex problem that many highly educated epidemiologists study.

mzcelaneous

Thank you so much Kim. I have hypothyroidism which greatly affects my metabolism. It's not as simple to just exercise and eating right (which I do) but I can never loose more than 5 lbs. It's tough
th_hug.gif

And although I agree that you can't watch your children 24/7 when they reach a certain age, parents can try to enforce good eating/media habits early so when they DO reach that age, they'll choose an apple instead of the candy or arts & crafts instead of a certain TV show. Of course they'll be exposed sooner or later, but teaching your kids will help them immensely. Can you believe that the other day, while were running late for dinner, we asked our daughter to choose between Baked Salmon or Chicken McNuggets? Guess what she choose? The salmon! I'm so proud of her!

Anyway, education is the key factor here. I tell my BFF all the time. Examples:

"Well, she doesn't like fruit" -- Keep introducing it to them. One day, they're bound to try it.
"She'd rather watch cartoons anyway." -- Try taking the child out to the zoo on a "kids for free" day, take them to the park, or play dress-up with her.
"He doesn't like to play baseball" -- Well, there's basketball, gymnastics, dancing, soccer, football, etc. Plenty of other FUN physical activities to keep your child healthy.

Just something to keep in mind since I know a lot of parents think that they have very little options
winks.gif

JULIA

This is a sad time for our world. Shimmer, I am definitely with you on this one. Teens getting their stomach stappled?! WHAT THE EFF. Honestly, kids need more physical activity and have got to be more aware of what they're putting in their mouth. These "obesity surgeries" or whatever the technical name is are simply nonsense. So then, how does one solve this problem without resorting to said drastic measures? Stop being so lazy. Oh, you've got the option to take the elevator or the stairs? Hmm, take the stairs, in 10 years you'll be thankful you did. Ignore the craving for fastfoods, and if you give in, get a salad. They're nice to look at, weren't ever alive and help you out when it comes to your health. Go run a few miles, not because it's required for PE, but because you want to take care of yourself.

UGH, this gets under my skin.

Makeupluvr

Wow. I am stunned. The fact that people would even consider GBS for teenagers . . . the fact that it would even be a thought, a POSSIBLE idea, is sickening to me. I think it speaks volumes about our society and what our real priorities are at this current point in time. It is sad, depressing, and surreal to me. Seriously, how hard is it to instill proper eating and activity in "our" children? (I don't have any kids yet hence the quotation marks). Despite all the advertisements for eating/living healthy, in truth, we as a society are saying that health isn't REALLY important but that the appearance of healthy/physical fitness or just looks in general is. And if someone were to say that's not it, then lets instead say we are teaching that the easier way is best. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying that GBS is necessarily easy, as Shimmer pointed out recover is long, there can be complications, etc. But compared to learning proper eating habits and being active for a teenager that is obese (granted there are challenges involved in any kind of life changing process, especially with weight loss on such a grand scale there are significant physically changes directly related to abilitiy to exercise in most cases, don't get me wrong I realize that), I think the surgery is definitely the easier route as far as self regulation and accountability is concerned and truly persuing health as an ultimate goal. As it was pointed out, having the surgery will insure weight loss, but does not mean healthier eating and therefore goes back to ones appearance being more important than ones health. I know a lot of this is reiteration and some of my statements are a bit redundant but I think it bears repeating and it is just so troubling that we as a people would even contemplate such a thing as acceptable. And when I say we as a people, obviously not the majority, but the fact that ANYONE would even conjure it up as an option! Ok, I am going to step off my soap box now.
soapbox.gif
smiles.gif

Thanks for posting this Shimmer. And thanks to anyone who read my post.

Kim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIA
This is a sad time for our world. Shimmer, I am definitely with you on this one. Teens getting their stomach stappled?! WHAT THE EFF. Honestly, kids need more physical activity and have got to be more aware of what they're putting in their mouth. These "obesity surgeries" or whatever the technical name is are simply nonsense. So then, how does one solve this problem without resorting to said drastic measures? Stop being so lazy. Oh, you've got the option to take the elevator or the stairs? Hmm, take the stairs, in 10 years you'll be thankful you did. Ignore the craving for fastfoods, and if you give in, get a salad. They're nice to look at, weren't ever alive and help you out when it comes to your health. Go run a few miles, not because it's required for PE, but because you want to take care of yourself.

UGH, this gets under my skin.

Not everyone is just lazy, I agree many people are but food is often used as a coping method such as eating disorders, most of the time they're a result of feeling lack of control, depression, self hatred etc. Saying to someone who is addicted to food is just like telling a smoker to quit cigarettes. Obesity and being overweight is not usually even about the food, it's SO easy for people who are educated on this topic to go around and say excersise and eat right, take care of yourself. Obviously you should excersise and eat right and take care of yourself but it's not all black and white... People with this fixed mindset really get under my skin.