Your help is needed!

VanillaCupcake

Hi everyone! I'm working on a paper about how aspects of social influence and compliance are used in the marketing of cosmetics. I would appreciate anyone who could take the time to answer my short survey. If you don't wish to post your answers below then you can send your responses to me in a message . Thank you so much for your help!

1. Are you more likely to purchase a product which claims it is “paraben–free” over another product which contains parabens?

2. Are you more likely to choose a cosmetic/ skin care product which claims to be "organic" or "all natural" over ones that do not have this claim?

3. If a company claims that they do not test their products on animals, would this influence your decision on purchasing their products?

4. Have you ever purchased a cosmetic/skin care product because it was limited edition?

5. Have you ever been influenced to purchase a particular product after reading about it on a blog or website?

6. Have you ever purchased a cosmetic/skin care product because a free gift was offered along with your purchase?

7. Have you ever had an employee at a makeup counter try to influence you to buy something you initially didn't plan on buying?

ElvenEyes

1. Are you more likely to purchase a product which claims it is “paraben–free” over another product which contains parabens?
A. Yes, if it is a good product.

2. Are you more likely to choose a cosmetic/ skin care product which claims to be "organic" or "all natural" over ones that do not have this claim?
A. Only if I like the product and I have not heard of anyone having reactions to the "organic" ingredients, which can also irritate skin.

3. If a company claims that they do not test their products on animals, would this influence your decision on purchasing their products?
A. Yes. Not only because of the cruelty towards animals, but because I have yet to see an animal go into a shop and buy makeup! MU is for humans! It should be tested on humans!

4. Have you ever purchased a cosmetic/skin care product because it was limited edition?
A.Only if it is something I would desire no matter what. MAC Pink Cult blush is a perfect example. I have pale skin, I love pink. MAC's regular line does not have a whole lot of options in the pale pink department. So I hoarded a bit.

5. Have you ever been influenced to purchase a particular product after reading about it on a blog or website?
A. Yes, if I like it, but I am not much for trends, so it has to be a tried and true product and raved about in a lot of places before I commit!

6. Have you ever purchased a cosmetic/skin care product because a free gift was offered along with your purchase?
A. No, but it is always a nice perk!

7. Have you ever had an employee at a makeup counter try to influence you to buy something you initially didn't plan on buying?
A. Yes, but it never works. I have my own evil plan of what I want and don't want and they cannot sway me to their side. Muhahaha...

LMD84

i don't see why not as long as it performs the same way.

No, I read reviews to see what is best - if it happens to be all natural or organic then that is a plus but not nessesery.

Yes, generally i favour companies that do not test on animals.

Not because it was limited edition. If anything that is more annoying because you have to ration you usage!

Yes, i am influenced all the time by people here on Specktra - if they rave about a product then i like to try it out too.

No, that is a bonus but not why i spend my money.

Yes but that is always going to happen because the are sales people.

katred

Specktra Bestie
Yes, particularly with sunscreens. I have noticed that my skin is more sensitive with these than with other products.

I would be more likely to investigate something that was organic or all natural, but whether or not I bought it would be based on whether I thought it would perform well.

Absolutely. I actually don't buy from companies until I've been able to establish that they don't conduct animal testing.

Definitely...

Yes, particularly if there have been a lot of photos/ swatches shown of the product.

Not that I can think of, although I may have spent more than I originally intended if there was a gift offered at a certain level (e.g., free gift with $50).

Definitely, sometimes with success.

Good luck on your paper!

shadowaddict

Yes, as Katred said Sunscreens particularly

No unless I have researched it as many "natural" products can still contain irritants.

Oh yes that is a huge factor for me

Oh Yes, cough-MAC-cough

Yes, if there are great swatches and I feel comfortable with the person's reviews

Not just for the gift but if I was buying anyway I have proably added something to qualify for the gift

Absolutely all the time, but in general I have a good idea abut the product and know if it is something I will use

Good Luck, I hope this helps although I am a makeup addict:)

gracie90

Depends on how well the product performs!

Nope, once again it depends if the product is better

Definitely

Yes, but I have to like it anyway! I will be more likely to buy multiples if it is LE and I love it

Yes, I like to do my research. I look at reviews, pictures etc until I decide if I like it or not

What I tend to do is to buy the same product but from a different source so I get the free thing

ALL the time! Generally I ignore them, or just get it if it actually suits me or I love it

laylalovesmac

No, not really. I probably should pay attention to that kind of stuff, but I never do.

See number one. :)

Yes. Generally, I won't purchase from a company if they test on animals.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

No. Once I have my mind made up, it's over.

Latest posts