187 Brushes Whose Fibres are Fraying, Shedding, Clumping or Splaying

BlahWah

Sorry mods, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread so please move if it isn't.

I don't know if the brush is supposed to be like this because it's not a lot of splaying, but it's definitely more than just a couple of fibers sticking out the side. It's all around the brush, and I'm concerned about the brush falling apart before its time. I didn't try to pull on the splayed hairs or anything, but did gently run my hand over it and everything else seemed fine.

Here are a couple of pictures. As you can see it's not a lot, but concerns me b/c it goes all around the brush!

187d-042006.jpg.JPG

187a-042006.jpg.JPG

I'm hoping it's still okay b/c I really wanted to play with it tonight!
ssad.gif
But it is a big investment for me, and I'll be even more sad if it turns sour. Please let me know of your experience!
icon_eek.gif

Wattage

Hmm, have you washed it yet? You might want to try and see what happens... if you still have no luck and are unhappy, just return and exchange it.

smiles.gif

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattage
Hmm, have you washed it yet? You might want to try and see what happens... if you still have no luck and are unhappy, just return and exchange it.

smiles.gif

No, I didn't want to do anything further with it cuz I didn't want to tamper or contaminate it.. but I guess they can't re-sell it anyway. =P I'll try that later tonight. Thanks!

user3

BlahWah did you buy that from MAC?

I am only asking because it look TOTALLY different from my 2 187's or any other 187 I've seen. Usually the there is not that many white fibers on the outside of the brush. It also does not look as dense as mine.
Now keep in mind it's been a long time since I bought one but I am just curious if it was purchased directly from MAC.

Here is a pic of mine
MACbrushes.jpg

Just for comparison a pic from MUA member amy320
The top is MAC the bottom one is Flirt
NOT MY BRUSHES
390070.jpeg

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Nessa
BlahWah did you buy that from MAC?

I am only asking because it look TOTALLY different from my 2 187's or any other 187 I've seen. Usually the there is not that many white fibers on the outside of the brush. It also does not look as dense as mine.
Now keep in mind it's been a long time since I bought one but I am just curious if it was purchased directly from MAC.

Hi Nessa! Yes, I did buy it from MAC. The first thing I did after coming home from the mall was check out my brush and try the Studio Fix Fluid sample (can't wait to try that!). But yeah, yours looks fuller than mine (tho maybe b/c I haven't used it yet) and "blacker". Maybe they make it slightly different now? I have no clue..
th_dunno.gif

bebs

I bought mine about a week ago and it looks pretty much the same so I would say no worrys it works like a dream and I am in love with it. Also it will start looking "filled out" once you start using it... thats what mine did anyways, so good luck and if you dont think its right bring it back to mac and ask to excange it/return it and buy it at a different store

Wattage

Hey Blah,

Just wanted to let you when I was at the counter today (for the second time!) I looked and the 187s all look like yours. The SA said there could be static from the packaging so not to worry
smiles.gif

HTH

tarteheart

Definitely wash your brushes thoroughly before using them! Testing them a little bit is fine, but there are preservatives in the brushes that need to be washed out fully before you use them!

BlahWah

Thanks girls for the replies, I'm feeling a bit better about it. I was quite ready to go back and get a new one, but if they're pretty much all that way now, I'll try it out for at least a week and see how things go. I've held out getting this brush for so long I can't wait to get it working for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattage
The SA said there could be static from the packaging so not to worry
smiles.gif

Thanks for asking about it! I was thinking it was static too, but they didn't "sway" like static-y fibers do, if you know what I mean. They just...stick out. I'll see what happens after the brush dries tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarteheart
Definitely wash your brushes thoroughly before using them! Testing them a little bit is fine, but there are preservatives in the brushes that need to be washed out fully before you use them!

icon_eek.gif
Thanks for the info! I was almost not going to wash it out b/c I didn't want to rough it up yet...=P It's such a prized item, "handle with extra care"..

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahWah
Hi Nessa! Yes, I did buy it from MAC. The first thing I did after coming home from the mall was check out my brush and try the Studio Fix Fluid sample (can't wait to try that!). But yeah, yours looks fuller than mine (tho maybe b/c I haven't used it yet) and "blacker". Maybe they make it slightly different now? I have no clue..
th_dunno.gif

Nope mine has been the same fullness since the day I got it. I don't have the other at home but I know it's the same as the one I have with me.
Gosh they must have changed the way it looks or add more white fibers. Sorry, didn't mean to imply it was a fake it just looks so different from the ones I have and ones I have seen. Like I said I have not bought one in a long time and I don't check it out at the counter. I was just looking out for your best interest.
I am glad other's can confirm their's look similar but I must admit I am glad I bought mine years ago. Not sure if I like the new look. (no offense)

If you are uncomfortable with the brush I would take it back and get a new one. That way you can compare.

mspixieears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarteheart

Thanks for the tip - usually I would, but I didn't want to ruin it. You're right though, thanks for the reminder!

BlahWah

Thanks for the picture pixi! I missed it last night, too tired. =P Yeah, I can see the white hairs in yours as I see them in mine. Strange that these look so different from 'Nessa's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Nessa
Nope mine has been the same fullness since the day I got it. I don't have the other at home but I know it's the same as the one I have with me.
Gosh they must have changed the way it looks or add more white fibers. Sorry, didn't mean to imply it was a fake it just looks so different from the ones I have and ones I have seen. Like I said I have not bought one in a long time and I don't check it out at the counter. I was just looking out for your best interest.
I am glad other's can confirm their's look similar but I must admit I am glad I bought mine years ago. Not sure if I like the new look. (no offense)

No worries 'Nessa, I know you're just looking out for me. I do wish mine looked more like yours tho! so no offense taken at all. Hopefully my next 187 will look much nicer (which will be in 5 years, it's so frikkin' expnsive! *lol* My husband just made a face and didn't say anything when I told him the price.)

user79

Mine looks like Nessa's and I just bought it last week. I think it's probably just the lighting on the brush.

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Mine looks like Nessa's and I just bought it last week. I think it's probably just the lighting on the brush.

Really, eh? Hmmm...maybe I'll go back when I finish my last exam on Monday and check out what my store has. Maybe there was a run where the composition was slightly different. The pictures showed what was there, though, no extra white hairs due to lighting b/c I kept comparing my brush IRL to the pictures (both 'Nessa's and mine). :confused:

Shawna

My 187 looked just like yours did, and when I washed it (I always wash my brushes before using them) it dried and looked like Vanessa's does. In fact, I was worried that the black hairs seemed to come out around the sides of the white hairs, but then I realised that was how it was supposed to be. I think yours just needs a wash.

Lo-Fi_Thriller

it looks fine. nothing can be perfect - some of my brushes have strays - im just glad i can appreciate them for what they are.

foreveratorifan

i had an issue with hte way mac packaged my brush i ordered online...it was in too small of a box and the bristles got litterally BENT in one direction...

the gal at the 1-800 said to boil some water and just stick the bristles in it and let it soak for a couple minutes and then take out and let air dry laying down and the bristles would should be fine...

something you can try if its a brand new brush

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi_Thriller
it looks fine. nothing can be perfect - some of my brushes have strays - im just glad i can appreciate them for what they are.

Oh, I'm definitely appreciating it - love how it makes so little product go so far and so well. I'm mostly concerned about it deteriorating before its time if it really is one flukely-badly made brush (make sense?) and dealing with it as soon as I can, i.e. not in 5 years when things start to really fall apart (tho it's a small chance in happening, I know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreveratorifan
i had an issue with hte way mac packaged my brush i ordered online...it was in too small of a box and the bristles got litterally BENT in one direction...

the gal at the 1-800 said to boil some water and just stick the bristles in it and let it soak for a couple minutes and then take out and let air dry laying down and the bristles would should be fine...

something you can try if its a brand new brush

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I've used it a few times already, but I'll call in after a week if it's still looking strange. Right now it's looking a bit fuller, but the same hairs are splaying out so there's a light fringe all around. :confused: