187 Brushes Whose Fibres are Fraying, Shedding, Clumping or Splaying

Angelah

Re: Lots of broken fibres on 187 :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti_starlet8
Yes I do mean the outermost layer (furthest from the middle)... it's supposed to be like that?! How come I have never heard about this before?!? Why is it like that?
Thanks so much!

Helps with blending. Notice on every blending brush the outermost layer is always the shortest? Because it is designed so those fibers touch the skin very lightly to create a blended/airbrushed look.
smiles.gif

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTasFCUK
Since she has been using it for awhile, i would assume it is too late to contact the seller since you only have 45 days since the date of purchase to file a claim and a package does not arrive over night either! I also said that assuming the brush was real, she should send it back to MAC. You think at MAC they won't be able to tell its fake? Sure they will and how stupid could you be to try and return a fake brush? If the brush is real, she could complain to MAC about their quality. Regardless where she got it from, its still a MAC brush and they live up to their quality standards. This is not an issue of honesty, its an issue of MAC quality....as long as the brush is real.

If its a fake, contact the seller and see from there!

The point being is that by leaving out that it was an Ebay purchase makes it dishonest (even if it was a real brush). It's fine to go to a MAC counter to authenticate it, but NOT to get a replacement, I said... even if it was "fake OR DEFECTIVE" (meaning that it could be real, just not good quality). The quality of the brush is clearly the Ebay seller's fault who should not be selling the brush in the first place if the quality of it is so horrible, it's the seller's responsibility to provide good quality products for their buyers or clearly state if there has been any usage or problems with the product they are selling. Now, I don't know if the brush bought was used or new, but the problem should be taken up with the Ebay seller. Not MAC, they did not literally sell her that brush. Many people make purchases where they will never get a refund or they will lose money on, just accept that a mistake was made and remember never to buy from that Ebay seller again, it happens.

And that's the last thing I'll say on that.

To the original poster: Good luck if you contact the seller. Do post pictures in the counterfeit forum and see if anyone can help you out there.
The outer edge (black hairs) of the 187 is supposed to be shorter than the white hairs. Do you notice fibers clinging to your face after you use it?
M·A·C Cosmetics | 187 Duo Fibre Brush
There's a picture from the official MAC site of the brush.
http://specktra.net/f257/fake-187-brush-63335/
This topic might help you as well, for reference pictures between a real 187 and a fake one.

msashlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlarmAgent
Pardon my butting in, but do you mean that the shorter black bristles are more prone to breakage and splitting off the base of the brush?

If so, you just allayed my fears for my 187, haha. The outermost layer of black hairs fray out to the sides, and when I noticed this my heart sunk. What a doofus am I!

No no, there's no breakage, the black bristles are shorter than the white bristles. The 187 is great.
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti_starlet8
Yes I do mean the outermost layer (furthest from the middle)... it's supposed to be like that?! How come I have never heard about this before?!? Why is it like that?
Thanks so much!

I believe it's because the black bristles and the white bristles are separate. so even though the black part looks like the base, it isn't. I think the black bristles kind of separate the white bristles so the brush is less dense, which is great for a light application of foundation or blush.

However, because there ARE a lot of fakes on ebay, you might still want to post pics just in case.
smiles.gif

anti_starlet8

hmm after reading the post comparing counterfeit and real 187s i still think mine's real... but if it's not, it's a pretty good brush for £16! (when the 187 here is £28!!) it rarely (if ever) sheds and all I really wanted to know was why the fibres at the edge are shorter, so i'm cool now. thanks for all your help with this
smiles.gif

crystalic_oxyge

help! fibres of 187 are breaking! again...

i am so confused.
ssad.gif

i bought my 187 from a local mac store a few days ago, and just used it twice since, and both times the fibres just wouldnt stop breaking. after using it with foundation, i had to fish about 10 fibres from my face... both times.

so i went to mac, told her about it... she tried it herself, washed it.... and said that there really was a problem with the brush so she gave me a new one instead. she said, that in the beginning its normal for a few fibres to break off... but not as much as with that one.

so i came home with my new 187... and.... i swept it over and over my hand and the fibres wouldnt stop breaking... dont know if its the "normal phenomenon" or if i have the same problem again.
ssad.gif

what should i do? i really want to have that brush, but if all the 187ens are bad.... has anyone experienced this before? please help
ssad.gif

erine1881

Re: help! fibres of 187 are breaking! again...

it will do that. it sheds more in the beginning, and since you've only used 2-3 times, your brush is just fine. use it softly, don't press it too hard on the face. clean it with mac's brush cleanser, which over time will condition the hairs and slow down and eventually stop the shedding. don't freak out. it's not gonna keep shedding to the point where you only have a few hairs left.

Avey

Problem with my 187 brush

I clean my mac 187 each time I use it with mac brush cleanser and deep clean it about once every 3 weeks. However, the white fibres are all clumped together and no matter what I do I cant get them back into the correct shape. Any ideas???
mac_addict.gif

jinxii

Re: Problem with my 187 brush

could you by any chance be leaving residue in the brush after ou clean it? the only time my 187 has done this was when Ive cleaned it and didnt quite rinse it well enough. (ie. soap or brush cleaner)

xxsgtigressxx

ive noticed that shampooing my brushes with a gentle moisturizing shampoo rather than brush cleaner works better and leaves them softer. If my white fibers do clump, all i do is wait till it is completely dry, and then take my finger and swipe it back and forth over the top of the fibers to loosen them up. works every time
smiles.gif

jdechant

Hmmm..I've never had this problem with my 187..then again, I've never used brush cleaner..I've always used baby shampoo on my brushes and have never had a problem...sounds like a little of the cleaner isn't being washed out..

Ravishing

MAC 187 troubles =(

I recently purchased my first face brush from MAC =). I went for the 187 brush because of all the great reviews. When I released it from the packaging I noticed that some black bristles were poking away from the brush funny. I gently washed it with baby shampoo (there was some fall out), shaped it and allowed it to dry over night. The next morning I looked at it and a few black bristles were still fraying outwards. I figured "oh well, those will probably fall out over time and then my brush won't look so uneven". For the most part they did, except for 2 or 3. I decided I could live with it. Today I washed my brush again and allowed it to dry and now I have more black bristles fraying outwards! The white bristles are perfect but the black ones are not holding their shape =( Is this normal? or Am I just being picky and fussy? Could I exchange it?

th_dunno.gif

xxManBeaterxx

Re: MAC 187 troubles =(

How bad is it? I've had my 187 for 2 years now, and after washing i have a 'few' black hairs that stray outwards but i thought that was because of a little static charge that builds up when i dry it on a towel. Also after the first couple of inital washings the bristles shouldnt fall out anymore. I know everyone hates to return items from mac since it gets tossed, but if your unsatisfied with the product you should exchange for another one.. maybe you had a lemon?

steenface

I have the 187SE that came with the Adoring Carmine set and it's been fantastic so far, which is cool because I've always heard less than stellar things about the SE brushes. It sheds once in a blue moon and doesn't really seem to have any clumping or spreading problems. I wash it with baby shampoo.

Coastal Scents also has brush guards that might help? Wash the brush, gently wring the water out by wrapping the towel around the brush, slip the brush guard over the bristles and put it bristles-down into a jar or cup to dry. They supposedly help wear-and-tear on the handles if you slip them on the handles when you use the brushes!

Ravishing

thank-you for moving this to the right spot =) sorry!

I think I may have just gotten the lemon... I hate to have it just be tossed so I'll just keep it and try the brush guards =) Thank-you!