187 Brushes Whose Fibres are Fraying, Shedding, Clumping or Splaying

sasse142

I just bought mine 2 days ago and here's how mine looks fresh out that package. Mine also has splaying which for some reason u can't tell here. I do agree tho everyones 187 brush seems to be fuller than mine. :-(

187-brush-1.gif

187-brush-2.gif

sel00187

Have I ruined my 187 brush?

i bought the 187 a few weeks ago now, and ive recently bought the brush cleanser so i thort id wash it to get rid of my studio fix powder. anyway when it was drying it got fatter and the black hairs on the side started to stray (theyre ok now) but now its fully dry it doesnt feel like it did when i first bought it. have i done something wrong and is it ruined for good?

Juneplum

when i wash my 187, it fluffs up a little when it dries. it's supposed to be on the fluffy full side.. not powder puff fluffy, but a little fatter .. (does that make sense
lol.gif
) just don't wash the entire brush, i.e don't soak it in the cleanser.. only wash the bristles... it usually feels nice and soft after a good washing
smiles.gif

OnaFyre

The brushes have a gluey preservative on them to keep them clean and in that shape before people buy them. It's probably a bad idea to use the brushes before washing them because of the preservatives. Once washed, they turn into thier "natural" shape (or at least the shape they should be and will forever be in), which is ofen much fluffier than when we first buy them. HTH

Juneplum

^ exactly! u r supposed to wash the brushes before you use them for the 1st time to get that stuff off.. that's what the mro for my area told us in a seminar once..

Sanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaFyre
The brushes have a gluey preservative on them to keep them clean and in that shape before people buy them. It's probably a bad idea to use the brushes before washing them because of the preservatives. Once washed, they turn into thier "natural" shape (or at least the shape they should be and will forever be in), which is ofen much fluffier than when we first buy them. HTH

thanks, good tip, I didn't know that!!!

browneyedbaby

Quote:

Thank you I never knew that!

aeni

Quote:

I've seen all too many painters in art stores "taste" the brush before they buy. Why? Well, to taste it and also see how the brush holds up really.

So after all that with any brush, I'd wash them nonetheless before they touch your face. Maybe you should rub in a little drop of hair conditioner to put the softness back in.

anti_starlet8

Lots of broken fibres on 187 :(

So I have a 187 I bought off of eBay. I'm 98% sure it's real, I have a few other MAC brushes to to compare with and it looks just like them. The only problem is I've noticed a lot of the fibres at the very edge have the white tip broken off of them. I do use it rather roughly, to buff in liquid and powder foundation rather than stipple so I'm wondering if it's me... has anyone else experienced this with a 187? I'm really bummed out cos the rate at which the fibres are breaking, I'm going to have to get a new one in less than 6 months' time which sounds obsurd. I have considered the possibility that it is fake but it's actually an excellent brush in terms of performance, it's just the breakage. I'm now wondering if it's just me and I shouldn't be using it to buff in foundation. Maybe I should be using something more suited to that function... any recs?
Many thanks in advance
smiles.gif

erine1881

Re: Lots of broken fibres on 187 :(

are you cleaning it with mac's brush cleanser? if not, that could be why. it not only cleanses and disinfects, but it also conditions the bristles to keep them from breaking.

anti_starlet8

I use both M.A.C. brush cleanser and baby shampoo to clean all my brushes including my 187, then I lie it flat to dry overnight. So don't think it's that...

HOTasFCUK

Post a pic on it here or in the counterfeit section and have someone authenticate it first! Also, there's a really good guide in the counterfeits sction on how to tell a real 187 from a fake! Its really well done! Now if its real, i would just email MAC and complain. Don't mention you got it on eBay! I'm pretty sure if you mail it in, they will replace it for you or even at a counter but i'm not 100% how those policies work! Hope this helps and hopefully someone who know more then me can weigh in on this!!!
smiles.gif

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTasFCUK
Post a pic on it here or in the counterfeit section and have someone authenticate it first! Also, there's a really good guide in the counterfeits sction on how to tell a real 187 from a fake! Its really well done! Now if its real, i would just email MAC and complain. Don't mention you got it on eBay! I'm pretty sure if you mail it in, they will replace it for you or even at a counter but i'm not 100% how those policies work! Hope this helps and hopefully someone who know more then me can weigh in on this!!!
smiles.gif

That is just dishonest. I would contact the Ebay seller instead to get an exchange or refund. How would you like it if someone bought something fake or defective from somewhere else and tried to get a real one off of you? That will just make MAC lose money and prices will just go up in the long run if everyone did that. Even if it is a real brush, because she didn't buy it from MAC, she cannot just go and ask for a new one because she didn't literally buy it from them.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkishstar
That is just dishonest. I would contact the Ebay seller instead to get an exchange or refund. How would you like it if someone bought something fake or defective from somewhere else and tried to get a real one off of you? That will just make MAC lose money and prices will just go up in the long run if everyone did that. Even if it is a real brush, because she didn't buy it from MAC, she cannot just go and ask for a new one because she didn't literally buy it from them.

its good to know that for every dishonest person out there, there is someone who isn't.

thank you!

HOTasFCUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkishstar

Since she has been using it for awhile, i would assume it is too late to contact the seller since you only have 45 days since the date of purchase to file a claim and a package does not arrive over night either! I also said that assuming the brush was real, she should send it back to MAC. You think at MAC they won't be able to tell its fake? Sure they will and how stupid could you be to try and return a fake brush? If the brush is real, she could complain to MAC about their quality. Regardless where she got it from, its still a MAC brush and they live up to their quality standards. This is not an issue of honesty, its an issue of MAC quality....as long as the brush is real.

If its a fake, contact the seller and see from there!

msashlay

I might be asking something kind of obvious, but just in case...

You're not talking about the layer of shorter black bristles on the outer most layer right? It's supposed to be like that.

AlarmAgent

Quote:
Originally Posted by msashlay

You're not talking about the layer of shorter black bristles on the outer most layer right? It's supposed to be like that.

Pardon my butting in, but do you mean that the shorter black bristles are more prone to breakage and splitting off the base of the brush?

If so, you just allayed my fears for my 187, haha. The outermost layer of black hairs fray out to the sides, and when I noticed this my heart sunk. What a doofus am I!

As for the OP, I agree that you may want to post a photo of your brush, if you can, and see if any of the authenticity experts can confirm it for ya. It would be a good place to start, anyway.

My 129SE used to break and fray like nobody's business, and then I added conditioner into it's cleaning routine and it started to shape up. I use baby shampoo for the actual cleansing, and then just a touch of conditioner washed through as well, and it made the brush fray less, or at least have less visible breakage. Just my experience, though, I'm not sure if it's really great for the brush in the long-run. Good luck!

anti_starlet8

Quote:
Originally Posted by msashlay

Yes I do mean the outermost layer (furthest from the middle)... it's supposed to be like that?! How come I have never heard about this before?!? Why is it like that?
Thanks so much!