anaaliyahfan03's MAC hiring story

anaaliyahfan03

Re: makeup counter experience to freelance with mac???

well they told me if i bought a portfolio then it would have to be makeup on other people's face not mine..i told them i have some of me..they were just interested in other people..grillin me with questions.."so how fast are u at makeup?" "have u done events?"...etc. grrrr! i talked to a different mac store and i am bringing my app to them this week..i have no printer so i cant print my pics for a portfolio..this is a all just (*sigh*)

lipshock

They sound so hostile. As if they don't even want you to apply. You shouldn't be getting the run around like this.

makeupgal

I had no experience working at any other counter when I was hired. BUT, I was "recruited" from one of the national makeup artists for M.A.C. I went in to attend an event and he asked if I had done my own makeup. I said yes and he said he wanted me to work for M.A.C. and told me to contact the appropriate people and tell them he was referring me. Also, when I went for the last interview, I had to bring a model with me, apply her makeup within a certain amount of time and explain all the products I was using while doing it. I basically had to audition. I also took pictures with me of makeup I had done on other people. So, my suggestion is, have friends let you do their makeup and take pics of it and build your own portfolio. I wish you lots of luck and don't get discouraged girl.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupgal
I had no experience working at any other counter when I was hired. BUT, I was "recruited" from one of the national makeup artists for M.A.C. I went in to attend an event and he asked if I had done my own makeup. I said yes and he said he wanted me to work for M.A.C. and told me to contact the appropriate people and tell them he was referring me. Also, when I went for the last interview, I had to bring a model with me, apply her makeup within a certain amount of time and explain all the products I was using while doing it. I basically had to audition. I also took pictures with me of makeup I had done on other people. So, my suggestion is, have friends let you do their makeup and take pics of it and build your own portfolio. I wish you lots of luck and don't get discouraged girl.

Everyone does that for the demo interview.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipshock
They sound so hostile. As if they don't even want you to apply. You shouldn't be getting the run around like this.

I'm thinking the same thing.
ssad.gif

anaaliyahfan03

i dont deserve the run around and im tryin to not get discouraged...its hard though...i called the manager back at the galleria mac store (the manager that has been trippin has been at the baybrook store, galleria is where i originally started) she said that at her store u just need to know how to do makeup and have customer service and retail experience which is me..she said all this week she is doing inventory and said she can try to set up an interview next week (if she doesnt forget to call me).she said that the galleria store was the freelance hiring but they split it between them and baybrook but both can do hiring so im gonna stick to the galleria..hopefully it all works out

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaaliyahfan03
i dont deserve the run around and im tryin to not get discouraged...its hard though...i called the manager back at the galleria mac store (the manager that has been trippin has been at the baybrook store, galleria is where i originally started) she said that at her store u just need to know how to do makeup and have customer service and retail experience which is me..she said all this week she is doing inventory and said she can try to set up an interview next week (if she doesnt forget to call me).she said that the galleria store was the freelance hiring but they split it between them and baybrook but both can do hiring so im gonna stick to the galleria..hopefully it all works out

yes, stick with her. give her time to get through inventory, alot of stores have been going through that lately, and stay up beat and positive when you are on the phone with her.

It's gonna happen. don't worry.
cheerleader.gif

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
Most of the girls that worked my counter had NO other make up artist experience. I think it depends on the person that is interviewing you.

This is true...I didn't have any makeup or retail experience when I got hired for a permanent position at MAC in Nordies...don't give up!

NaturalSister19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
Most of the girls that worked my counter had NO other make up artist experience. I think it depends on the person that is interviewing you.

Bottom line.

anaaliyahfan03

well maybe all my persistantness (spell check) is paying off cause i scored an interview tommorrow at 2pm...i don't know what to expect as far as questions they are gonna ask me, but i'll be prepared!

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
well maybe all my persistantness (spell check) is paying off cause i scored an interview tommorrow at 2pm...i don't know what to expect as far as questions they are gonna ask me, but i'll be prepared!

OH MY GOSH!!!

Tell us what happens..
cheerleader.gif

anaaliyahfan03

they just asked some questions and that was about it..lol..the last question being, "why mac?"..she said she would let me know if they want me to do a demo on thursday..if she doesn't get to call me on thurs then i will call her...u know me, miss persistant!
smiles.gif

FacesbyNiki

cheerleader.gif

When she asked you 'Why MAC?' what did you say?
lol.gif

I got caught with that question. The first thing I said is, "Why not?!"
lol.gif
We both laughed.

anaaliyahfan03

i just told my story.."well i don't want to babble, but i've wanted to work for mac since i was 16, but i knew i couldn't apply because i wasn't old enough but when i turned 18 i ended up moving to houston from dallas for college and it was a new start for me so i admit i wasn't emotionally prepared to apply here and i didn't feel i was great enough, but now 4 years later i feel i am great enough to apply and i want to be apart of the team." something like that..which is a true story

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
i just told my story.."well i don't want to babble, but i've wanted to work for mac since i was 16, but i knew i couldn't apply because i wasn't old enough but when i turned 18 i ended up moving to houston from dallas for college and it was a new start for me so i admit i wasn't emotionally prepared to apply here and i didn't feel i was great enough, but now 4 years later i feel i am great enough to apply and i want to be apart of the team." something like that..which is a true story

Awwww... that's a personal story. they love those.
smiles.gif

foreverymoment

i don't think you have to have counter exp. to freelance. i was just told the other day my counter was looking for a freelancer and my name was thrown out by my fave MA and I needed to put together a portfolio...and I definately have no counter exp. (and I believe that some of the girls at my counter didn't have much exp. either before they started working there...)

anaaliyahfan03

yea well i know that now..i just think she was being a doody...or maybe that's what she wanted for her counter..but i had an interview and the manager that interviewed me said she worked for glamour shots for 3 years..so i think that the manager that said was a doody, but if i make it to the phone interview then the doody manager is going to give that interview so i don't know how that's going to go..but i will let yall know whats up

PRiNCiPESSAx4

i just read this thread, but im so excited for you! i hope everything works out! your fotd's are beautiful, so i mean i'm definitely no pro but i would think you would have a good shot! keep us posted.