Bare Escentuals (all)

lovemichelle

I just got my kit in today in Medium and the blush in Beauty. I love this! I watched the DVD while applying it and its very easy. I didn't get my concealer brush in yet, so I can't wait to use this. I just ordered the clear radience and kabuki brush. I got the kabuki brush with the foundation because it was a better deal. I got a different shade of foundation with the brush so I can use it as a concealer too. I have the summer bisque, but since it was kinda the same price I figure it can be a back-up. The warmth is my favorite. I used to use MACs Bronzer, but this is much better. Everything looks so natural.

Brianne

I use BE and while it evened out my skintone, it also emphasized every pore on my face and looked shiny, even with the mineral veil.

so_siqqq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianne
I use BE and while it evened out my skintone, it also emphasized every pore on my face and looked shiny, even with the mineral veil.

Yeah, it does emphasize pores but I rather have that than liquid foundation that makes my skin look fake. BE really does give good coverage. I'm not too fond of the satin finish but it does look natural. But I still prefer a matte finish. I haven't tried the minereal veil yet.

After BE I plan on trying Alison Rafaels (sp?) mineral foundation because it has a matte finish. So yeah, I'm really diving into a variety of powder foundations to find one with good coverage and natural matte finish.

lovemichelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_siqqq
Yeah, it does emphasize pores but I rather have that than liquid foundation that makes my skin look fake. BE really does give good coverage. I'm not too fond of the satin finish but it does look natural. But I still prefer a matte finish. I haven't tried the minereal veil yet.

After BE I plan on trying Alison Rafaels (sp?) mineral foundation because it has a matte finish. So yeah, I'm really diving into a variety of powder foundations to find one with good coverage and natural matte finish.

The mineral vail is really good. Have you tried the clear radience?

so_siqqq

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemichelle
The mineral vail is really good. Have you tried the clear radience?

No, what is it though?

lovemichelle

Quote:
No, what is it though?

"Made up of crushed minerals, this translucent powder gives skin a beautiful dewiness, while adding a hint of pale pearly-pink color. It looks lovely on your cheeks and underneath foundation for a pearlized effect. Use wet as a luminous eye shadow or wear over lipstick for a glossy glimmering effect."

lovemichelle

Has anyone who used this and had acne before noticed that it cleared up? I've heard people on TV say that and I hope so. I don't have a lot, but it's red and hard to cover and this does the job with the foundation and summer bisque.

pink__grapefruit

I use the brushes that come in the set. If i use other ones, it doesn't turn out or blend as good, especially the concealer one
smiles.gif

so_siqqq

So I'll probably invest in a Kabuki brush then.
Probably the Bobbi Brown one (let's hope the CCO may have some
smiles.gif
)
Thanks for the help!

lovemichelle

Quote:
So I'll probably invest in a Kabuki brush then.
Probably the Bobbi Brown one (let's hope the CCO may have some
smiles.gif
)
Thanks for the help!

I broke down and bought the kabuki brush. I hope it's good.

MargaretD

I agree with with Susan--the best brush for applying Bare Minerals foundation is the Cat Cosmetics Kabuki. It is pricey but definitely worth it. I prefer using a kabuki brush for applying the foundation, which I wear every day. The BE kabuki is acceptable but Cat's is better.

I would recommend any kabuki brush over the use of a powder brush.

HTH

Margaret

lovemichelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretD
I agree with with Susan--the best brush for applying Bare Minerals foundation is the Cat Cosmetics Kabuki. It is pricey but definitely worth it. I prefer using a kabuki brush for applying the foundation, which I wear every day. The BE kabuki is acceptable but Cat's is better.

I would recommend any kabuki brush over the use of a powder brush.

HTH

Margaret

This brush? http://www.catcosmetics.com/products.aspx?id=kabuki

What's better about this one?

angelwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
The best brush for applying BE is the Cat Cosmetics Kabuki. A close second is the Bobbi Brown Kabuki (Face Brush). The regular BE flawless face brushes don't give as good of a coverage, shed, and are scratchy. They are okay for finishing powder but still not recommended.

There is a great tutorial on how to apply BE here:
http://www.livejournal.com/community...w=86203#t86203

There are some great forums on Delphi too, including BE Addicts and Be Beautiful Cafe (link in my profile).

Thank you for posting that link on the tutorial
th_worship.gif

roxybc

Oooh, I'm glad I came accross this thread! I just ordered the mineral veil powder to use as a powder over my regular lancome foundation. I had no idea that a regular powder brush wouldn't work. I'll also order a kabuki brush now. I don't see any of the Cat ones on E-bay, so I'll try the bare minerals ones.

Ada

Bare Escentuals starter kit on Sephora

Has anyone bought this? I've been thinking about trying BE, with all the good things I've been hearing about it. And this kit sounds like an amazing deal: $60 for:

"-Two Shades of bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation to ensure the perfect match
-bareVitamins Skin Rev-er Upper: can be applied daily before applying bareMinerals to rev up your skin
-Mineral Veil: provides a translucent finishing touch to your makeup, infusing it with softness and adding a flawless finish.
-Warmth All Over Face Color: add an instant sun-kissed glow to skin where the sun would naturally touch
-Flawless Application Brush
-Full Coverage Kabuki Brush
-Maximum Coverage Concealer Brush
-Bonus! A How-to DVD/VHS for tried and true beauty tips from Leslie Blodgett, Bare Escentuals CEO."

Now I'm sure the foundations and things aren't full size, but even so-- just buying the brushes separately would cost more than $60.

But I'm concerned about getting the right shade. The lightest shade, Fair, isn't available in any of the starter kits. The lightest kit has Fairly Light and Light. And they're both described as having "golden undertones." I'm an NW15-- so are these going to be too dark/warm for me?

I suppose I could buy the lightest kit to get all the brushes and extras, and then buy a full-size foundation in Fair. For $85 total. And then I'd have two extra foundations that are too dark for me.

Or I could just buy the stuff separately-- because how much of that extra stuff do I really need? I don't need a concealer brush because I already have one, I don't need the Warmth because I have bronzer that I like, I don't need the skin rev-er upper crap (unless it's some fabulous product I just haven't heard anything about.)

So that leaves the foundation, mineral veil, kabuki brush, flawless application brush. For a total of... $94. So $9 more. But I'd have the full size of the mineral veil too.

Hmm.... anyone who has these products have any thoughts on this? How much smaller are the products in the starter kit... small enough to be worth paying $9 more and not getting any extra crap? Or are there any other kits available anywhere else that have the lightest shade in them?

AlliSwan

I would get a starter set on eBay and by starter set I mean just make your own set because you can get a slightly better deal than retail if you watch a few auctions and buy your stuff from one seller--just make sure you're getting factory BE jars and not sellers' samples because a little won't go nearly as far as they try to make it sound. I don't like BE brushes (too scratchy), I just use my 150 MAC one, you could even get away with the blush one I think. For a kabuki brush, invest in the Bobbi Brown one, it's not the top of the line, but it's pretty soft. The foundation can be tricky, but it's somewhat more flexible color-wise than liquid. I'm an NW20 and use the 1.2 and 2.3 mixed together. The #2 was way too yellow for me. I use a touch of the new tinted mineral veil, but I like the pinky glow it gives me, it's just on the verge of being too dark for me, so I'd stick with the untinted one for yourself. Stay FAR AWAY from Warmth! Use whatever face product you use now, not that skin Rev crap. You do need a moisturizer as a barrier bt your skin and the BE because it can be drying and the "base" will give it staying power. Good luck!

moonrevel

The jars you get in the starter kit are tiiiiiiiny compared to buying the full-sized. If memory serves, a regular jar is .3 oz, whereas the jars in the kit are .06 oz! That said, I'm an NW15, and I bought the starter kit, and I am quite happy with it. I use the Light as a concealer and the Fairly Light as my foundation, and it really blends into my skin. I don't use the Warmth often, but when I do, if I use a light hand, it looks nice. The brushes are fine, particularly the kabuki brush, but they shed like you wouldn't believe. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought another brand's kabuki brush, a full sized Fairly Light, Mineral Veil, Clear Radiance, and Bisque, in sort of a build my own kit...just because I don't really like the brushes, and I like Bisque for concealing better than just using the foundation.

Blah, so what was I trying to say? Yeah, I think if you really want to get into BE, just make a big upfront investment in what you really want. Then, you won't waste anything, you'll use what you got, and you won't have to keep going back to get the stuff that will really work...plus, those full sizes are huge compared to the ones in the starter kit!

The only thing you'll miss out on is the HILARIOUS how-to DVD. I don't know why I find it funny, but I do.

AlliSwan

"Swirl, tap, and buff!" hahaha I find myself drawn into that horrible infomercial late at night when I can't sleep....but you really do want to work the minerals into your brush and buff them on...if you can see lots of the powder on your brush, it's going to go on splotchy and cakey!

Dreamergirl3

I heard that the mineral veil was basically just to tone down the somewhat shiny/dewey apperance of BE foundation...is that true? Because if it is, I dont need the M.V...I like dewiness! I love their e/s though, they're lovely! And how does clear radience work? TIA!

Dreamergirl3

Oh and I just checked ebay for full sized factory sealed products, and I could get my own "kit" that includes colors 2.3 and 3, as well as clear radiance for about 40 bucks total. Kind of frustrating, because some sellers dont say in the title that they're samples, but they are. Look carefully and I'm sure you'll get a good deal. Happy biddig lol!