Canadian Brands: Lise Watier, Quo,...

ansimi

Oh yay, a Canadian thread! I must subscribe to this one:)

I took advantage of the SDM points special and stocked up on Winter skin care that was also on sale (Avene and Vichy). Now I have over 95,000 points so I'll be looking for a redemption bonus or maybe using them when I visit Vancouver and can finally see a Murale store.

For those of you in Western Canada, my London Drugs just got some great new stuff. They had the Essie fall collection and the Orly holiday collection at $6.99 each and a cute holiday set of Ecotools brushes.

I think my favourite Canadian beauty products are a lot of the skin care lines that are sold in drugstores. Brands like Georges and Dermal Therapy have excellent products at great prices to protect our skin from the harsh Canadian weather.

ansimi

All the SDMs around here have the Quo holiday sets and palettes out but no testers or even displays. Some of the palettes are packaged so you can't even see what's in them. Usually SDM is really good about having testers so it seems strange. I hope this isn't a trend. I really like Quo lip products and I've liked a lot of past holiday sets but I'm not buying them blind.

Junkie

20x the points this weekend!

AND!

Haha....

Smashbox, Elizabeth Arden, Marcelle, Annabelle, Lisa's Cosmetics, Schwarzkopf Warehouse Sale for all you GTA ladies!

Click here!

StarrySim

I'm mad at Quo. They discontinued my favourite TM (the True Skin) without any warning. They just pulled them all from the shelves when they came out with the new display design. They didn't even bother to put them on clearance or anything, just POOF and they're all gone one day to the next. I'm so mad!

I'm actually not happy with SDM at all this week - I wanted the PF cream liners (40% off this week). I saw them at one location last Friday, and this week I can't find them anywhere. I've looked at 6 stores (really, six stores), no luck.

Phew, got that off my chest.

wittynickname

All the SDMs around here have the Quo holiday sets and palettes out but no testers or even displays. Some of the palettes are packaged so you can't even see what's in them. Usually SDM is really good about having testers so it seems strange. I hope this isn't a trend. I really like Quo lip products and I've liked a lot of past holiday sets but I'm not buying them blind.

Where are you located? At a Shoppers Drug Mart in Vancouver (Cambie and 16th to be exact), the salesperson opened up a bunch of Quo mascaras, blushes, and brushes for my girlfriends and me. We liked the cosmetics. To be honest we weren't particularly impressed with the brushes. Even with the 40% discount, the price was still quite steep and the quality was markedly inferior to MAC or even some of the other brands. Great service though, and that will guarantee return visits to the Shoppers with beauty boutiques.

Junkie

Are they new? The liners from PF I mean....

If they are - that would explain it. Some stores don't have the floor space to put up all the displays if its a new item.

If anything, you could've asked for a raincheck and gone to pick up them whenever they showed up.

We have the new Maybelline compact cream foundation (kinda like MAC Studio Tech), but its sitting in our back room because there is just already way too much displays around the store to put it anywhere (head office is strict with this stuff and have rules for everything).

If its a core item that is just sold out everywhere - same thing - just ask for a raincheck :)

Also - the new QUO stand - keep an eye out in the Clearance sections of some stores. Our TM foundation went fast - it was priced at $5 each and sold out within a few days....only Dark was left after awhile and even that sold out in less than a week. Most places don't give you ANY notice for discontinued items....the only way is to look at the barcoded label. If there is a little teeny tiny "C" in the corner, it means "Core" (permanent item), "D" is for discontinued (which means stock up fast because it won't be ordered again) and "O" is for Optional (we order, but only if it does well, its not permanent).

Hope that all helps - sorry about your foundation being discontinued :( I woulda saved you some if I knew. If it makes you feel any better, the TM was only in Medium or Dark when I saw it put out - nothing lighter.

Junkie

Oh and if anyone is interested...

Those Revlon Super Lustrous lipglosses that were so popular this past spring?

Lilac Pastelle, Pink Pop, Coral Reef, Peach Petal and Firecracker?

They're in displays now at SDM locations - only 2 per colour though and a handful of new lipsticks came out too (both mattes and cremes).

Also, I heard the Revlon line is being re-vamped (probably in Jan), so a bunch of colours are being replaced/discontinued. Cherries in the Glow l/g was disc. in the U.S, so I'll assume we'll follow suit and do the same.

StarrySim

Are they new? The liners from PF I mean....

If they are - that would explain it. Some stores don't have the floor space to put up all the displays if its a new item.

If anything, you could've asked for a raincheck and gone to pick up them whenever they showed up.

We have the new Maybelline compact cream foundation (kinda like MAC Studio Tech), but its sitting in our back room because there is just already way too much displays around the store to put it anywhere (head office is strict with this stuff and have rules for everything).

If its a core item that is just sold out everywhere - same thing - just ask for a raincheck :)

Also - the new QUO stand - keep an eye out in the Clearance sections of some stores. Our TM foundation went fast - it was priced at $5 each and sold out within a few days....only Dark was left after awhile and even that sold out in less than a week. Most places don't give you ANY notice for discontinued items....the only way is to look at the barcoded label. If there is a little teeny tiny "C" in the corner, it means "Core" (permanent item), "D" is for discontinued (which means stock up fast because it won't be ordered again) and "O" is for Optional (we order, but only if it does well, its not permanent).

Hope that all helps - sorry about your foundation being discontinued :( I woulda saved you some if I knew. If it makes you feel any better, the TM was only in Medium or Dark when I saw it put out - nothing lighter.

Thanks so much for the info. The liners aren't new to PF, but they may be new in Canada. That was the first time I saw them, and you're right, they were in a display. I didn't think to ask for a raincheck because I didn't see an empty spot - it's hard enough getting a raincheck when you can show them the empty spot and the pricetag. I don't think it would work for something they can't even see.

As for the Quo True Skin - The only one I found was at the Eaton Centre location, and it was $15, on sale along with the other Quo that was on sale last week. Not on clearance. I did see a few Skincredibles on clearance at another location (even though those are in the new displays too). I asked at one location, and she said that everything that wasn't in the new display was sent back. I'm really really sad that they d/c'd this - I've only ever repurchased 2 face products, and this was one of them. Maybelline pure was the other, which is also d/c I think, but my mom picked up 2 at the L'Oreal warehouse sale, so I'm good for 2 years :)

Junkie

Quote: Originally Posted by StarrySim

Thanks so much for the info. The liners aren't new to PF, but they may be new in Canada. That was the first time I saw them, and you're right, they were in a display. I didn't think to ask for a raincheck because I didn't see an empty spot - it's hard enough getting a raincheck when you can show them the empty spot and the pricetag. I don't think it would work for something they can't even see.

When we get these at my location, I'll shoot you a message. Some stores are better at putting display packs out more than others (ie. right as soon as they get them - not 2 months later like us). I know you live far, but you might still make the trip right? lol

HOTasFCUK

Rexall has all face products 50% off this week! All foundations, loose/pressed powders, concealers, primers, blush. bronzers, etc.

I want to pick up a back up of maybelline mineral power concealer and NYC sunny bronzer!

StarrySim

Quote:

When we get these at my location, I'll shoot you a message. Some stores are better at putting display packs out more than others (ie. right as soon as they get them - not 2 months later like us). I know you live far, but you might still make the trip right? lol

Where's your store? I work downtown and live in North York, so I hit quite a few locations on my way home, up the Yonge subway.

Shadowy Lady

I LOVE the lise watier gloss pencils. I got the new Red Flamenco from their winter collection and never have i met such a pigmented and long lasting gloss. Two thumbs up!

ansimi

I LOVE the lise watier gloss pencils. I got the new Red Flamenco from their winter collection and never have i met such a pigmented and long lasting gloss. Two thumbs up!
I bought that too! I haven't worn it out of the house since it's probably just a holiday party/event look for me.

Lise Watier is such an interesting brand with really creative and innovative products. They're not all hits but they make some stand-out products that are different than anything else out there.

Speaking of unique products, so sad to hear about that Quo True Skin because I'm not aware of anything like it on the market. I am optimistic that there will be a bunch of new sheer coverage products on the market soon though because I think it's a big trend to use a sheer tint and then take time with precision concealing. That one is great because it's like a tinted primer and concealer applies so well over it.

StarrySim

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one sad about True Skin being d/c. I wonder if it's too late to convince them to keep it.

Did anyone else get a coupon in the mail from Murale? It's a card, with a mystery amount ($20-$1000), minimum $20 discount with a $50 purchase. It's odd, because the back of the card says the minimum is $25 and the front says $20. But I'm wondering if it's an instant discount off the purchase, or if they just give you a coupon that's $20 off another purchase with a minimum amount. If it's an instant discount then I will definitely take advantage of it, but there's no way I will spend $50+ twice, especially if there's an expiry associated with it. I wish they were more clear on how it works.

Junkie

Where's your store? I work downtown and live in North York, so I hit quite a few locations on my way home, up the Yonge subway.

The one right at Yonge/Carlton - outside College station :) I work nights though, so you probably won't ever see me during the day.

Junkie

Super enormous redemption event this weekend - Sat and Sun (Dec 4th and 5th).

Redeem:

38,000 - instead of $60, you get $79 (extra $19)
50,000 - instead of $85, you get $125 (extra $40)
95,000 - instead of $170, you get $240 (extra $70)

I THINK thats what it is...from what I can remember of the new flyer...I'll edit it later if I'm mistaken.

Its the biggest redemption event in Shoppers history!

poule

(note:this may have been mentioned in this thread previously because I didn't read all pages... sorry in advance if it is)

Yay for Lise Watier, Marcelle, and Annabelle from me also!

Though does anyone remember the Caroline brand? I believe it was also in the Marcelle-Annabelle family and carried rather inexpensive stuff, I don't remember that much except I owned a lip sealer from them back in junior high, I believe it was around 2$.

Also, kind of thought I'd mention this, but has MAC been mentioned in this thread yet? I mean, it did come out of Toronto did it not?...

Cheers!

ansimi

Wow, I hope that super redemption special is true and that it's national!

I remember the Caroline brand:) I believe it was an independent Quebec-based brand before Marcelle bought them.

I also remember when MAC was still Canadian. It made national business news when Madonna wore Russian Red in the late '80s. I don't really remember the expansion of MAC though. I went pretty low-maintenance/grunge/stressed-out student during the early '90s and wasn't really into makeup for a while.

StarrySim

Junkie - I shop at that location once in a while, and I did check it out on my quest for True Skin backups. I usually drop by on my way home from work, so around 5-6. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you next time :) Do you guys carry Tocca fragrances by any chance?

Squeeeeeee seriously, a huge bonus redemption weekend?? I have a ton of points saved up, so I need to start making my $240 wishlist. I may not be able to shop on the weekend, so I hope the downtown stores begin the promo on Friday. wheeeee :-D

And I do remember the Caroline brand, sort of. I think I had a nail polish.

Oh, and there's a huge, brand new Stila section at the Yonge/Dundas SDM!

Latest posts