Dark Lipstick/Lipgloss Trend of the Fall!!

NaturalT

Idk about everyones feelings about it, but I am happy that the darker burgundy, dark berries and bing cherry looks are hitting the runways and stores for the Fall! I think in a way its bringing back the 90's looks (Total, Aaliyah and Nia Long for example of made up faces) and its very flattering to people of all skin colors. Is anyone else excited by the reintroduction and plans of buying any darker lip colors? How would you pair it with your eyeshadows, blushes etc?

babyfauxblondie

ehh, i'm not too crazy about dark shades. usually, i only wear light shades and nudes because dark colors make my skinny lips look even thinner. depending on night or day and the occasion, i think it could be paired with numerous colors and looks. i just recently got my sephora fall 08 catalogue in the mail and a model inside had dark lips with a smokey cat eye and kind of a bronzy blush.

makeba

i love dark lip colors. i love dark brown and plum colors going into fall with a nice black eyeliner, neutral eyeshadow and rosey cheeks. i dont like that goth look on me though becuz its to dark. mary j blige wore an almost black lipstick in one of her videos a couple years ago and its was very sultry. i wore a look like this one day and my mum said i looked like i was embalmed!! lol. so its a no go for me to go that dark. i saw on the mac website that there was a lipmix that was almost black and one that is dark brown and it looked interesting.

mishameesh

I'll be wearing my Rougette mattene l/s! I don't own many other dark colors. When I wear rougette, I normally do black eyeliner on top lid, lotsa mascara, and plum foolery blush.

I haven't see any new items (darker lippies) that have blown me away. We'll see.

chocolategoddes

I love dark plum and red lips for fall. Very vampy. Most girls my age aren't into dark lip color and it is a bit much for school or just hanging out at the mall or whatever.
But I can see it being very work friendly if it's matte and the rest of look is natural.
Also, it could be a nice glamorous, night time look with a glossier lip and maybe a slightly smokey eye.

Nepenthe

I'm excited about it, I think it will be a nice change of pace from the brights of the summer. Generally I don't do dark lips, but I'm interested to see if I can make it work for me. The mattenes from CoC intrigue me, so we'll see.

As for pairings, on a daily basis probably a fairly neutral eye, with brown or dark brown liner. For something a bit more bold, maybe a brown smokey eye or neutral with a black winged liner?

nilla52

I like plums. I was on mediatakeout and they had pics of Rhianna's new spread in Essence ..she was rocking the dark lip.......guess its back

NaturalT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
I love dark plum and red lips for fall. Very vampy. Most girls my age aren't into dark lip color and it is a bit much for school or just hanging out at the mall or whatever.
But I can see it being very work friendly if it's matte and the rest of look is natural.
Also, it could be a nice glamorous, night time look with a glossier lip and maybe a slightly smokey eye.

I wa thinking the same thing too because ive recently expanded my makeup collection and I have alot of gold, pink and neutrals. The mattene lip colors probably would work fabulous for day and night looks! The only mattene I have is seriously rich (a berry red) and it looks hot day and night... now its time for me to venture to a dark plum~

Temptasia

You ladies should look into getting the NARS lipgloss called Rose Birman...just a gorgous deep berry color that can go on sheer or layered for more depth and intensity.

j_absinthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptasia
You ladies should look into getting the NARS lipgloss called Rose Birman...just a gorgous deep berry color that can go on sheer or layered for more depth and intensity.

That's the thing about these dark berries and vampy reds is that, if you don't want the lips to look too heavy you simply just change the way you apply the darker lip products.

If someone has thinner lips but is in love with a darker color, just take a lip brush and brush it on, staining the lip- accenting the cupid's bow with a highlight and applying a bit of lighter gloss goes a long way in making dark, small lips look less severe. I have giant Mick Jagger puckers, so even if I did pack on something like Bing mattene, I'd still look like a pair of lips with legs.

In short, if anyone's genuinely interested in the darker lips but too scared they'll look like Marilyn Manson, just reevaluate the application to suit your needs.

Beauty Mark

I normally wear darker or at least lip-colored lip things; I never figured out how to pull off the completely nude lip

I wear a darker lip with very clean face. Blush (but not too intense; the focus is the lips), eyeliner, light eyeshadow. I keep it simple, because I find too much makeup is overwhelming on my face.

bellezzadolce

I've always worn dark/rich lip colors in the fall/winter seasons, I'm excited for to see it more in magazines and on the runway~

I'll be wearing cyber and underworld as usual with my favorite pencil nightmoth. I'ma also give rougette a try. In the past I've worn fleshy colors on the eyes and cheeks with bold liner and lots of lashes, this season i'ma freshen the look up with colored eyeliner as a subtle accent~

Tinkee-Belle

I will NOT be participating in this trend.... I hate dark lips on me. I will be sticking to myth/fleshpot/underage ect. like I always wear. I will wear any color on the eyes but only a few particular shades on my lips. Although the other day a Nars MA tried a color called Chiauhua on me... Its ALOT darker than I normally wear and it actually looked good! Different... but good!

blazeno.8

I really want to get my hands on the black lipmix and the rust colored glitter. I *love* dark lips. I'm also thinking of branching out and going into midtone berries instead of just dark ones.

NaturalT

I was looking at the lipglasses on the mac website and a pretty gloss really struck my eye- Desire. I think that it would be great for a nice dark cherry like lip color that is buildable cream which I think is pretty nice especially when you want or dont want a super deep color. I like the face that it could leave a pretty lip stain as it dissipates also. I think that I will buy this especially since im really drawn to glosses more than lipsticks!

blue_meaway

I'm all over the reds and lighter plums. I love them! However, I can't ever look great in browns or brown undertoned l/s. It seems to bring out my dark spots even more.
th_dunno.gif

blazeno.8

For those of you who like swatches, here are some of bolder fall colors and then some lighter alternatives. All of these are based off of the lipgloss "Pop Mode" (I *love* this color). None the less, I can't wait to get that black lipmix... mmm...

FallSciFi.jpg

Sci-Fidelity/Popmode
FallAmythist.jpg

Mary Kay Amethyst/Popmode
Fall4N.jpg

5N/Popmode
FallDandy.jpg

PlumDandy/Popmode
FallMetalliuqe.jpg

Lancome Metallique/Popmode

M.A.C. head.

I'm generally a nude or sheer l/g type of girl but lately I've been really into dark l/g AND l/s.

I'm not even waiting for fall LMAO I have on "Dark Side" l/s with a pinch of "Big Baby" plush glass in the center.

It looks very sophisticated on me. It's definitely different, because I usually do pinks if any color at all.