Fashion Fair

Misshopeful24

I notice if i'm looking correctly there isn't anything about fashion fair. The question I ask is that not good or is it no longer around or soemthing? I'm just curious. My mom seems to prefer that cosmetic line. She tends to have a glow about her, no visible blemishes, but i guess the oil control doens't really do justice or it depends on the product you use right? I could list some of them or whatever but i'm too lazy right now to go look in her make up bag...

lipshock

My best friend's mom uses Fashion Fair and my best friend also used to use their products and have her makeup done by them for special events -- but I coverted her to MAC and she uses them now. But when she used it, she said she liked it.

Their packaging puts me off buying their products, to be honest.

yummy411

ppl always put fashion fair down.. cuz they are old skool or they are like the godmother for cosmetic lines for women of color. my first foundation was by them. it would be okay, but i think they stick to the traditional formula which most (younger) women these days are not into. i wouldn't mind them, but i would need to add a bit of my own flair.. like after using the foundation, spray some fix+ on top so that they dry look will tone down a bit..... honestly, i prefer to skip all those extra steps and go with what is convenient... my MAC. i still show them love from time to time. just like the drugstore cosmetics.. black opal, black radiance, milani, etc...

lipshock

I really want to try Fashion Fair but I am so hesitant because my skin goes crazy when new stuff comes into contact with it ... and MAC has been the only thing I've used that hasn't done that. Surprising since people complain that MAC face products cause breakouts and clog pores.

AfricanaEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misshopeful24
My mom seems to prefer that cosmetic line.

Chiiiiile, I think EVERYBODY's Mom used or has used that line. My Mom, as well.
rofl.gif
I also got my first foundation from there (of course my Mother dragged me there before I knew about the glorious MAC) and had no problems. Although, that was yearsss ago and I didn't use it THAT often. If MAC is goin' well for you.....stick with whatcha know! Especially if you have sensitive skin.

MiCHiE

My mama still uses Fashion Fair and my sister used to use it also. I never really looked into makeup until last year and I wanted to play up my eyes so, I got into MAC. I would probably wear their lipsticks (if I were into lipsticks) more than anything.

TangoMango

My Grandma STILL uses Fashion Fair. She'd probably have a heart attack if I were to drag her to a MAC counter, due to the bright colours and such.

I'm not too fond of Fashion Fair after having to deal with a rude MA when I was younger.

NaturalSister19

It's good make-up and yes, their lipstcks are a dream. Great skin-care products too.

I especially like their pressed powder. They are pretty much no frills - but a nice 'women of color' line in my book.

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalSister19
It's good make-up and yes, their lipstcks are a dream. Great skin-care porducts too.

I especially like their pressed powder. They are pretty much no frills - but a nice 'women of color' line in my book.

NaturalSister, is the skincare really great? I am always seeing it advertised in magazines and I am so intrigued. What would you reccommend? ... and you are becoming my favourite person on here!
clap.gif

L281173

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoMango
My Grandma STILL uses Fashion Fair. She'd probably have a heart attack if I were to drag her to a MAC counter, due to the bright colours and such.

I'm not too fond of Fashion Fair after having to deal with a rude MA when I was younger.

My mom still uses Fashion Fair and she is 75. She just won't become trendy for anything in this world. She swears by Brown Sugar lipstick and the Bronze Glow Foundation.
lmao.gif

Twinkle_Twinkle

I have a friend who wears Fashion Fair powder, and she tried to keep it hush hush, and another friend who wears their tinted moisturizer, but she doesn't know too much about makeup in general. My aunt and her two daughters always have a Fashion Fair compact in their purse or hands - it is their staple. Personally, I never see anyone at the Fashion Fair counter (buying anything that is) so it is a wonder how they stay in business with a counter at every mall in America. And even the ads in Ebony and Jet don't seem appealing. I checked out the website once out of curiosity and they sell a billion lipsticks, and only 15 shadows! I just think FF is so old fashioned, has the packaging changed in 30 years?

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
I just think FF is so old fashioned, has the packaging changed in 30 years?

See, that is my hangup. Everytime, my best friend's mom is around and she is touching up her face, I always (in my mind) go "blech" at the packaging. Not pretty, at all. I know you can't just a judge a book by its cover but the packaging just look so old. lol.

MiCHiE

The MUA on their site look like they worked on the set of "Good Times" or at a funeral home. I know their lipsticks are creamy and of good quality, though....And, they've actually changed the packaging, LOL. The brown compacts and peach swirled packaging replaced the old pink-swirled packaging...I agree about the ads, too.....They'll never appeal to youngins with those.

MisStarrlight

I've never used Fashion Fair on myself (obviously) but for what my customers tell me (and what I've seen on their faces) FF is very red/orange toned & kinda heavy. People are always coming to me complaining about their foundation & looking for an more natural alternate. Needless to say, I've gotten a lot of converts.

They do have some lipsticks that are to-die-for.

Misshopeful24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
I've never used Fashion Fair on myself (obviously) but for what my customers tell me (and what I've seen on their faces) FF is very red/orange toned & kinda heavy.

Yeah i agree with the red/orange toned and what not, At first I thought it was some kind of mask when i saw them put in on my momma's face in the store. But with the right color and blush mom's able to get that glow thing down...

My momma look like my light skin older sister, this woman ain't afraid of style and such, Its time I learn and find some money to get some MAC type product and show her how to get it poppin lol...

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
I've never used Fashion Fair on myself (obviously) but for what my customers tell me (and what I've seen on their faces) FF is very red/orange toned & kinda heavy. People are always coming to me complaining about their foundation & looking for an more natural alternate. Needless to say, I've gotten a lot of converts.

Can you tell us which lipsticks you are refering to. I can' be caught hanging around the FF counter for too long.

NaturalSister19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipshock
NaturalSister, is the skincare really great? I am always seeing it advertised in magazines and I am so intrigued. What would you reccommend? ...

Thanks hon, I am so glad to be here and I can't believe that I didn't know about Specktra before. This is my kind of cyber hang-out.
grouphug2.gif

It's only fair (no pun intended) that you youngins' get a little science from a cosmetics 'old head'. My obsession is headed for 27 years. That has to be equivalent to about 4 Doctoral Degrees in Consumer Cosmetics Theory & Practice ! 2 big sis's - it's all their fault

Fashion Fair HAD a reputation for being orangey/off. That is no longer true. Years ago they revamped the foundation/powder shades to be better matches. They have many yellow-based face products.

Back to FF Skin Care...

I use the Botanical Clay Mask. Great clarifying product for us super-oily types. Weekly use.

Vantex, Vantex, Vantex!
cheerleader.gif
Give me a V!!!...
It's a bleaching cream that works great for lightening dark spots that are sometimes common with all of the melanin running through our systems (acne scars, dark knees/elbows/ knuckles, lower leg scars, imperfections on the toes/feet...) Careful application is a must. I use a Q-Tip to put it ONLY where I need it.

I used to live and die by Fashion Fair Eye Cream, but IMAN bumped them because it's easier to get to Walgreens than going to the mall. IMAN is a VERY smart woman, isn't she?

Estee Lauder: The New York-based cosmetics company, whose brands include Aveda, Clinique and Bobbi Brown, on Wednesday said it earned $44.5 million in the fiscal fourth quarter... Washington Post 8/16/06

Revlon: Net earnings of $328.6 million in the first quarter 2007... Business Wire 5/8/2007
__________________________________________________ _____

FF products on my 'Get it right away list':

Hidden Beauty - skin prep I've heard compared to PhotoFinish
True Finish Powder Make-Up - I suspect their answer to StudioFix
Cover Tone - Corrective make-up (totally opaque full coverage) Need the full range for my kit.

I wonder if I'm this wordy in person?

Latest posts