Fashion Fair

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
Can you tell us which lipsticks you are refering to. I can' be caught hanging around the FF counter for too long.

Hehe
I'm sorry I don't know the actual names of them, but there is this deep burgundy that comes to mind in particular...and this other lighter pinky color. Both times I had customers wearing them & both girls were like "I dunno, some FF color"
You think you all can't be seen over there? At our Macy's we have built up a reputation that if we even step within 15 feet of another counter they shoot us down with their glares....even if it's just passing through to get out to the mall.
rofl.gif

L281173

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy411
ppl always put fashion fair down.. cuz they are old skool or they are like the godmother for cosmetic lines for women of color. my first foundation was by them. it would be okay, but i think they stick to the traditional formula which most (younger) women these days are not into. i wouldn't mind them, but i would need to add a bit of my own flair.. like after using the foundation, spray some fix+ on top so that they dry look will tone down a bit..... honestly, i prefer to skip all those extra steps and go with what is convenient... my MAC. i still show them love from time to time. just like the drugstore cosmetics.. black opal, black radiance, milani, etc...

Many folks like Fashion Fair, but I always used to use Flori Roberts, mostly. Flori Roberts had a more trendier variety of colors than Fashion Fair. I used to love Patti Labelle's Line that was sold via Flori Roberts. There is a Lipstick color called Miss Marmalade, Poo Poo Pearl, Right Kinda Rose and Miss Thing that I loved. The nail colors were gorgeous also. I worked at the Flori Roberts counter in the past.
clap.gif

L281173

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
Hehe
I'm sorry I don't know the actual names of them, but there is this deep burgundy that comes to mind in particular...and this other lighter pinky color. Both times I had customers wearing them & both girls were like "I dunno, some FF color"
You think you all can't be seen over there? At our Macy's we have built up a reputation that if we even step within 15 feet of another counter they shoot us down with their glares....even if it's just passing through to get out to the mall.
rofl.gif

That's weird, because even though I worked the Flori Roberts counter in Macy's, if there was a customer at the Fashion Fair counter, I had to help them also. I knew both lines quite well.
rofl.gif
clap.gif
cheerleader.gif

MisaMayah

I had an MA use Fashion Fair foundation on me for a photo-shoot about 2 years ago and it looked so amazing. She didn't even have to use concealer on me because it gave enough coverage and didn't look cakey at all. I regret not asking her what it was called I only asked her about the MAC products she used on me!!
To this day when I go past the FF counter I look to see if this foundation is there, but I can't find it. It was a liquid in a clear plastic squeezy 'tube' packaging..I saw one that was a liquid but in white packaging. I wonder if it's the same thing???

PolyphonicLove

my mum used to use fashion fair...and although Im pretty much a kid of the new age, I'll damn sure use it if I can get my hands on it. in my eyes, makeup is just that - makeup! no need to discriminate.
greengrin.gif

QTAllStarGurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyphonicLove
my mum used to use fashion fair...and although Im pretty much a kid of the new age, I'll damn sure use it if I can get my hands on it. in my eyes, makeup is just that - makeup! no need to discriminate.
greengrin.gif

I agree!! i have actually used their foundation before and i actually like it i just dont use it anymore because im too lazy to go to dillard's and thats where i normally get it....and no im not a grandma either im only 18
rofl.gif

PolyphonicLove

heh, Im lazy too...I dont think Ive ever seen fashion fair at dillards, it is kind of filled with those snobby ladies? maybe they just hate teenagers. like I'll hop on the counter yelling incoherently for makeup.

which Im very willing to do, if its effective,

but still! if anything, I'd like to try their powder, or loose powder, if they have that...I bet its better than half the stuff Ive ever used!

SereneBeauty

I have used Fashion Fair in the past, and unless they have made some serious changes to their formulas, I would not recommend them!:eek2:

QTAllStarGurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyphonicLove
heh, Im lazy too...I dont think Ive ever seen fashion fair at dillards, it is kind of filled with those snobby ladies? maybe they just hate teenagers. like I'll hop on the counter yelling incoherently for makeup.

which Im very willing to do, if its effective,

but still! if anything, I'd like to try their powder, or loose powder, if they have that...I bet its better than half the stuff Ive ever used!

lmao!!! ur hilarious but yah dillards has some snobby ladies sumtimes boo on them i think they do hate teenagers
ssad.gif

greatscott2000

Fashion Fair has a great toner for oily skin. I love the fact that they still have GWP because you get to try their lipsticks and moisturizers.
My grandmother still uses their lavender lippies
smiles.gif

Twinkle_Twinkle

A have another friend of a friend who uses Fashion Fair, and after reading this thread I decided to be less harsh. So while rambling through her makeup I spotted one her her FF lipsticks. I swatched it on my hand, not too impressed, and then I smelled it, and it was waxy like a crayon! Ewww no!

PolyphonicLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTAllStarGurl
lmao!!! ur hilarious but yah dillards has some snobby ladies sumtimes boo on them i think they do hate teenagers
ssad.gif

man, you should have seen the looks they gave me the other day. one lady looked at me as if I was diseased! I was to scared to even look at the lipstick! like, they were grouped together and talking, they saw me and they were like, "shh...its back!" *glare*

oo, Twinkle, I do hate it when lipsticks smell like that. I can only get over a lipsticks smell if its my perfect shade. I love a decent nude lipstick or a nice pink - though Ive yet to find my HG red!

and greatscott, I actually use biore toner, but my mum had FF toner and I loved it. would have stolen it from her, but she's still mad at me for taking her big foofy face brush. ;]

LipstickLez

Quote:
I have a friend who wears Fashion Fair powder, and she tried to keep it hush hush, and another friend who wears their tinted moisturizer, but she doesn't know too much about makeup in general. My aunt and her two daughters always have a Fashion Fair compact in their purse or hands - it is their staple. Personally, I never see anyone at the Fashion Fair counter (buying anything that is) so it is a wonder how they stay in business with a counter at every mall in America. And even the ads in Ebony and Jet don't seem appealing. I checked out the website once out of curiosity and they sell a billion lipsticks, and only 15 shadows! I just think FF is so old fashioned, has the packaging changed in 30 years?

I know I'm late but:
You are plum fool
rofl.gif
rotflmmfao

First you read the friend who doesn't know anything about makeup, then you basically call it out as an old lady brand (oh so true...I'm envisioning a half used, hot pink eye duo in my mom's drawer), then you speak the GOSPEL TRUTH that nobody has EVER been seen buying Fashion Fair, then the kicker: They do INDEED have four million lipsticks and two shadows.

Get outta my head!!! lmao I was gonna ask about FF, but I thought people would think me foolish - or an asshole because I was pretty much gonna ask why the hell they look like something Wilona was applying back on Good Times.

But in all fairness, re: unappealing ads in Ebony and Jet -- how many ads for ANYTHING in Ebony or Jet have ever been appealing?

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LipstickLez
I know I'm late but:
You are plum fool
rofl.gif
rotflmmfao

First you read the friend who doesn't know anything about makeup, then you basically call it out as an old lady brand (oh so true...I'm envisioning a half used, hot pink eye duo in my mom's drawer), then you speak the GOSPEL TRUTH that nobody has EVER been seen buying Fashion Fair, then the kicker: They do INDEED have four million lipsticks and two shadows.

Get outta my head!!! lmao I was gonna ask about FF, but I thought people would think me foolish - or an asshole because I was pretty much gonna ask why the hell they look like something Wilona was applying back on Good Times.

But in all fairness, re: unappealing ads in Ebony and Jet -- how many ads for ANYTHING in Ebony or Jet have ever been appealing?

Ok that is so true,
lol.gif
Jet and Ebony only have ads for Kool Menthols, Motions At-Home Perms, The United Negro College Fund, and Fashion Fair. I was curious once as to why there are so many FF ads in Ebony and Jet, and it is because FF is a Johnson Company, owned and started by the magazine. But yeah, my BFF and I were laughing about how we NEVER see anyone at the FF counter, and that's when I decided to look at the website, which was super ghetto, because you can't order anything online, you have to call in an order, and that's when I saw all these millions of lipsticks which is so classic when you think about it. Old stuck in their ways ladies don't know the first thing about eye shadow, but lipstick, well they use that on their forehead and cheeks and swipe some on before bedtime. Oh FF, my aunt forced me to try some of their blush the other day, I complied, but not willingly...I'm such a snob, lol.

bellezzadolce

I <3 FF's skincare and lipsticks. They have revamped their colors in the past few years and the foundation colors are nice. Some women look orangey b/c they want to wear what their friend/ sister/co-worker wears and it is not what they need for their skin. The same thing happens at MAC...every african-american young lady/woman thinks they are either NC or NW 45. We get customers all the time who bash FF and I try 'educate them, in reality they are a really good m/u line, just like every one else, there is good along with the bad.

lilchocolatema

I just interviewed MAC National Artist Gregory Arlt a few days ago, and he was like, "yeah, I call them Fashion Unfair!" I was cracking up!

L281173

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchocolatema
I just interviewed MAC National Artist Gregory Arlt a few days ago, and he was like, "yeah, I call them Fashion Unfair!" I was cracking up!

My hairstylist who is also a makeup artists calls Fair Cosmetics "The Old Southern Black Woman's Makeup". He says that all of their Colors in Foundation are no as Bronze Glo, etc... He says that the perfume in the lipsticks could cure any bad breath.
clap.gif
weeping.gif
lmao.gif
rofl.gif

LipstickLez

Quote:
Ok that is so true,
lol.gif
Jet and Ebony only have ads for Kool Menthols, Motions At-Home Perms, The United Negro College Fund, and Fashion Fair. I was curious once as to why there are so many FF ads in Ebony and Jet, and it is because FF is a Johnson Company, owned and started by the magazine. But yeah, my BFF and I were laughing about how we NEVER see anyone at the FF counter, and that's when I decided to look at the website, which was super ghetto, because you can't order anything online, you have to call in an order, and that's when I saw all these millions of lipsticks which is so classic when you think about it. Old stuck in their ways ladies don't know the first thing about eye shadow, but lipstick, well they use that on their forehead and cheeks and swipe some on before bedtime. Oh FF, my aunt forced me to try some of their blush the other day, I complied, but not willingly...I'm such a snob, lol.

You're tainted!!!!!!! You know you're skin's gonna reject all MAC products now right? The products are engineered to know when you've been applying cheap makeup
rofl.gif

LipstickLez

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchocolatema

lmao.gif
He read FF fiercely! I'm saying though, can they get some new ads? And is it just me, or are all of their products matte? lmao Maybe I'm just seeing dusty Jet magazines.

I'm equally curious about the Fashion Fair "fashion fairs" ...but I need to just leave that alone.

IvyTrini

I am not thrilled at Fashion Fair at all. I have encountered many a rude, uninterested MA when visiting with a friend that is trying to convert me from MAC. I don't care for makeup lines that never evolve with the changing times and fail to modernize. If you look at their print ads, they look EXACTLY the same as they did 20 years ago. So there is no progress. Their colours are very basic and they don't encourage their followers to widen their colour range. Its too old skool for me. Too much fuschia, 1980's lipstick and burgundy eyeshadow.