Fashion Fair

MACa6325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber_j
I have a huge soft spot for Fashion Fair. Back in the day it was the only brand for WOC in the UK so my mother, sisters and all their friends wore it. I still use the Earth Red blush - it's a staple in my MU bag - and I'm planning to get a few lipsticks.

Am I the only person who misses the old pink packaging? Anyone? Anyone?
ssad.gif

Although I have never worn Fashion Fair, my mother still wears some of their products. I also remember my mother using Flori Roberts faithfully. I was a little girl going with her to the makeup counter in NYC and the ladies would be so beautiful. I too have a huge soft spot for Fashion Fair and Flori Roberts. Just because WOC have other options, doesn't mean that we should forget where we came from.

Note: I believe my mother still has lipstick and powder with the pink packaging.

MACa6325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by L281173
I used to work at the Flori Roberts Counter years ago.

Do you remember a blue moisturizer that Flori Roberts used to sell? I can remember my mother using that morning and night. LOL

braidey

Quote:
I used to work at the Flori Roberts Counter years ago.

Does Flori Roberts have good foundations and lip products?

amber_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACa6325xi
Just because WOC have other options, doesn't mean that we should forget where we came from.

Note: I believe my mother still has lipstick and powder with the pink packaging.

I totally agree! Brands like Fashion Fair made a huge impact on me back when the mainstream companies wouldn't touch WOC with a bargepole.

P.S. I have one blush left in the old style packaging. I stroke it to say 'hello' every time I use it. I need help.

SunshineOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by braidey

Actually, the original Iman cream to powder foundations (not the formula now avail @ Target, Walmart etc) was dropped into Flori Roberts packaging back in 2006 after corp owner (of both Flori & Iman) Color Me Beautiful bought out that part of Iman's line. At least that's how I understand the whole thing went down. If you google Color Me Beautifl and Iman you'll find out more info. I've worked with the products professionally and the cream to powder foundations are great.

L281173

Quote:
Originally Posted by braidey

Yes back then. I don't know about the quality of the products now.
th_dunno.gif

L281173

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACa6325xi
Do you remember a blue moisturizer that Flori Roberts used to sell? I can remember my mother using that morning and night. LOL

Yes. Definitely. I have not seen it in years. I don't remember the name, but I can remember that it was loaded with perfume.

nubianremedy5

Fashion fair was my first foundation and I still use it, I also use mac but i find that fashion fair gives a much better tone and colour match for woc... but its easier to get mac than FF because FF counters are harder to find. they have also vamped up alot of thier range and have some great colours in eyeshadows and lipsticks. i'd advise you to try it out. theres nothing wrong with having more than one brand in your make up box, give it a go :)

nubianremedy5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianremedy5
Fashion fair was my first foundation and I still use it, I also use mac but i find that fashion fair gives a much better tone and colour match for woc... but its easier to get mac than FF because FF counters are harder to find. they have also vamped up alot of thier range and have some great colours in eyeshadows and lipsticks. i'd advise you to try it out. theres nothing wrong with having more than one brand in your make up box, give it a go :)

to be honest the main reason i like mac is because of the eyeshadows. alot of my friends were wearing mac studio fix powder b4 i got into it and i hated the way it would look all cakey, i only bought it cause i was on holiday in usa and it was cheap so i decided to pick one up and i use it but very lightly. but i still much prefer my fashion fair creme to powder and im not ashamed of it. id rather go with what suits me than follow the crowd!

j4lyphe

Fashion Fair was the first makeup I bought EVER about 4 yrs ago when I was 18. I never bought it again, it was a waste of money( sad too cuz I bought it and then flew back home to Jamaica, so no return)..I thought that bcuz it was catered to black women it would be the best so I walked past MAC, Prescriptives, Lancome, etc and bought Fashion fair also since their MUA was black. It was horrendous, their foundation and powder was so red...when I look back at those pics I looked like I had been baked and burnt (a frikkin dark red mask on, eww). So no I don't think I'll buy foundation/powder from them ever again but their lipcolours on the other hand looked promising....

sexxered

thmbdn.gif
Hated it! It smells too perfumee, like a old lady. My mom use to swear by it until she ran out of the foundation one day and borrowed my mac nc45. The fashoin fair looked good on her. But if you have dark skin, it just has too much of a red pigment in it. darker you are the redder it gets. I can spot a fashion fair offender miles away. face looking like they have been smacked...continuously. Shame on you fashion fair.

crystrill

I HATE FF!!!

MAC was supposed to do my prom makeup, long story short.... FF did it.

HATED IT.

It was CAKEY AS HELL... and made me look OLDDDDDDDDDD as shit. And oily as shit. And the lipgloss she put on my lips were the exact same color as my lavender-ish prom dress. I wiped it off and put my MAC gloss on lol.

cocodivatime

Quote:
Many folks like Fashion Fair, but I always used to use Flori Roberts, mostly. Flori Roberts had a more trendier variety of colors than Fashion Fair. I used to love Patti Labelle's Line that was sold via Flori Roberts. There is a Lipstick color called Miss Marmalade, Poo Poo Pearl, Right Kinda Rose and Miss Thing that I loved. The nail colors were gorgeous also. I worked at the Flori Roberts counter in the past.
clap.gif

OMG! Flori Roberts! You just took me waaaay back. I used to go to that counter in JC Penny when I was a teenager. LOL. I could never afford to buy a lot so I would wait until they had gifts with purchase.

cocodivatime

Fashion Fair. Where do I start. That line is most near and dear to me because thats where I got my start.

This was maybe 15-16 years ago and there were not a lot of options for WOC. Atleast not any that I knew of. I used to have this bright orange lipstick that I loved to wear and you couldnt tell me anything!! LOL. I actually had a orange outfit that i used to pair it with

Remember those days when you made your makeup match your clothes? LOL
I used to adore their gifts with purchase because money is tight when youre a teenager.....and free stuff....man that was like jackpot.
th_DANCE.gif

I used to wear their powder back when I didnt even need powder. LOL. And I used to love the little sample of lotion that came in the free gifts. Thats the only way I ever got to use it. Buy the full size was not an option for me.

I can't remember what caused me to stray from Fashion Fair. It seems so long ago. I don't even think I've noticed their counter anymore. I wonder if they are still at my local Macys (back in the day it was called Foley's). I think i might stop by to try on some stuff and laugh. I bet the colors are all wrong for me nowadays.

hey do you think they still make my orange lipstick? Maybe I'll try some on
graucho.gif

MiCHiE

I used to love the commercials, with the female baritone......"Fashion Faaaiirrrrr....."

amber_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocodivatime
hey do you think they still make my orange lipstick? Maybe I'll try some on
graucho.gif

Do it. Do it.

And I'll bring my Earth Red blush out of semi-retirement
winks.gif

CandiGirl21

I guess you all didn't get made fun of when you bought or talked about getting something from Fashion Fair. I remember suggesting buying to another girl, she bust out laughing because it's a week line and not to mention "old"...lol

I guess she forgot Revlon, Maybelline, Estee Lauder and many other cosmetics lines have been out since the 40's and 50's. Idiot. Although I'm glad I read the reviews on this thread! Good looking out...lol

mekaboo

Fashion Fair has come out with new foundation sticks, powders, and concealer sticks. I tried one on today and to my surprise, IT MATCHED PERFECTLY AND I DID NOT LOOK LIKE AN OOMPA LOOMPA!! Thumbs up!

SassyMochaJess

Hey !! i got my first foundation from FF. My mom also uses FF, thats how i got my first foundation(duh). I never tried any other makeup besides that... they don't look that appealing to me. It was okay when i used it