Fashion Fair

sss215

I am looking forward to the re-vamp, Fashion Fair is black beauty history!
And as long as their foundations keep me matte, we can talk!

Curly1908

Have you guys seen the new products? FF now has some of its products in black, streamlined packaging. Very chic!

I still love my old azz Golden Sunset blush (such a unique shade)!
cutey.gif
I recently tried Chocolate Chip blush that I'd purchased a while back, and I love it as a contour shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LipstickLez
You're tainted!!!!!!! You know you're skin's gonna reject all MAC products now right? The products are engineered to know when you've been applying cheap makeup
rofl.gif

A good portion of FF products are actually more expensive than MAC.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly1908
Have you guys seen the new products? FF now has some of its products in black, streamlined packaging. Very chic!

I still love my old azz Golden Sunset blush (such a unique shade)!
cutey.gif
I recently tried Chocolate Chip blush that I'd purchased a while back, and I love it as a contour shade.

Exactly - And MAC is not the best formulated stuff in the world by any stretch of the imagination, in my opinion. I like that they have a huge variety of products and colors and are always releasing something new, but their products came be topped in just about every category by another brand, and FF has a better blush formula. I think a large amount of MAC's success and popularity is due to it's price point (among other things of course) but even that's getting up there, but I digress...

she

Quote:

you better tell it girl
yes.gif
we didn't play in a bargain basement bin on my mother's dresser. no ma'am.

i am heading to the mall tomorrow to see if i can snag their highlighter and two of their blushes. i am eyeing ginger berry and pearly paprika but gotta swatch plum rich.

mekaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by she
you better tell it girl
yes.gif

i am heading to the mall tomorrow to see if i can snag their highlighter and two of their blushes. i am eyeing ginger berry and pearly paprika but gotta swatch plum rich.

You will LOVE Pearly Paprika!

she

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekaboo
You will LOVE Pearly Paprika!

mekaboo, please stop because i already am in love with warm sand and i feel like i will be stepping out on it by using anything else. now i am sooo excited! will return to review.

i honestly feel like i want to keep their blushes a secret, they are so great.

Goat Goat Etc.

What kinda brush should I be using with Golden Sunset?
I tried to like it but geez I don't.
Anyone pairing any other kinds of blushes with it?

she

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Goat Etc.
What kinda brush should I be using with Golden Sunset?
I tried to like it but geez I don't.
Anyone pairing any other kinds of blushes with it?

it's like you're going to make me buy everything... sigh. j/k. i have heard about that shade as well but have avoided it because i thought it wouldn't stand out on my skin. but i never thought to pair it! i am wondering how it would look with an intense blush underneath, like love thing. will take a peek when i'm there.

Curly1908

I use a regular blush brush to apply it, and I don't pair it with anything. It's too intense of a color on my skin to pair with anything else. Maybe it just isn't suited to your (cool) skin tone?

I've fallen in love with the FF Oil-Free Moisturizer. I still wanna try more blushes...

Curly1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by she
you better tell it girl
yes.gif

Mine too! I honestly get tired of some of the "MAC Elitists" who are ignorant of other brands. I was putting one some Urban Decay e/s and Nars blush at a friend's house the other day. And her friend (I don't know the girl that well) says really snootily -- "Urban Decay? Wow...I've never heard of that brand. I only like high end, expensive makeup so I'm strictly a MAC girl."

I laughed at her and politely informed her that 1) I buy makeup based on if its color, pigmentation, and formulation are flattering on me and 2) Urban Decay and Nars are more "high end" than MAC.

Label whores.
nope.gif

she

Quote:
Mine too! I honestly get tired of some of the "MAC Elitists" who are ignorant of other brands. I was putting one some Urban Decay e/s and Nars blush at a friend's house the other day. And her friend (I don't know the girl that well) says really snootily -- "Urban Decay? Wow...I've never heard of that brand. I only like high end, expensive makeup so I'm strictly a MAC girl."

I laughed at her and politely informed her that 1) I buy makeup based on if its color, pigmentation, and formulation are flattering on me and 2) Urban Decay and Nars are more "high end" than MAC.

Label whores.
nope.gif

dead @ bolded... people kill me! as if there is only one high end brand? and though i LOVE my MAC it's absurd to believe that MAC is even the most expensive brand in the category. i love anything highly pigmented, regardless of brand or status.

i kinda think it depends on how you were raised, LOL- some people consider themselves MAC elitists while some would consider the term MAC elitist to be an oxymoron.
th_dunno.gif
its fun to chuckle at though.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by she
dead @ bolded... people kill me! as if there is only one high end brand? and though i LOVE my MAC it's absurd to believe that MAC is even the most expensive brand in the category. i love anything highly pigmented, regardless of brand or status.

i kinda think it depends on how you were raised, LOL- some people consider themselves MAC elitists while some would consider the term MAC elitist to be an oxymoron.
th_dunno.gif
its fun to chuckle at though.

Pretty much agree with the bolded. I think there are levels of high-end cosmetics. And I feel there are levels of drugstore cosmetics as well. On the DS makeup scale, if 1 were a cheapest in a combination of price and quality (product & packaging) and 10 were the opposite, Wet N' Wild would be a 1 (Wet N Wild is apparently getting better though), Almay would be 2,CG a 4, Maybeline would be a 5, L'Oreal a 7, and Iman a 10. If the same terms apply to a Department Store or High End scale, I think Clinque would be a 1, and MAC would honestly be a 5. I think I would rank UD a 6 and maybe Bobbi Brown a 6.5 and brands like YSL, Dior, and Guerlain would be 8s, 9s, and 10s. Even though some HE brands aren't as funky and exciting as MAC, their formulations are better. I've said this several times in several threads, but MAC is great and popular because of a variety of reasons; the products are good and the prices are decent. I [obviously] like MAC, but lets not pretend it's the best of the best, because it's not, and I think a lot of the people who think so just haven't tried other brands, which is their prerogative. Some of their products really do shine though, namely the pigments, and their range of eye shadow shades is only remotely rivaled by MUFE, but pretty much everything else has a better formulation in some other brand.

dundada

I recently went to the Fashion Fair counter in Debenhams on Oxford Street in London and they picked out one of the lines newer colors for me regarding their foundations. The young lady there put on the Foundation Stick on me in Butterscotch, and I have to say it matched me perfectly, although what I wanted to look at was the Cream to Powder Foundation in the compact, but for some reason she wouldn't show it to me *shrugs shoulders*

Maybe they were out of Butterscotch in that item, but hey if you're out just say it! I won't bite your head off! LOL
lol.gif
Hey maybe their Cream to Powder Foundation still sucks and they didn't improve it yet, but maybe that isn't the case at all...I dunno...

But the Foundation Stick from Fashion Fair stayed on me for the whole day it looked like, it stayed matte without any extra powder on top of it, and it didn't transfer. So finally Fashion Fair has a winner! Yay! Thank you Sam Fine!

The lady at their counter did say that they recently got rid of the foundations with the red tones, 'No more red tones!' she said loudly! Ha ha!

It's too bad that Fashion Fair took so many light-years and dead stars hanging around in outer space later to improve upon their own packaging and the foundations that some of their consumers always said showed up as 'too red' and weird and unnatural. They waited until they were hanging by a thread to get someone like Sam Fine or Pat McGrath on board. That's so silly for such a well loved and remembered brand. But thanks again Sam!

I bought their Cherry Wine lipstick from a Boots in south London but while the color is lovely, it's too shiny and not matte enough for me. And it's too sheer. Someone on Makeupalley said that FF's lipsticks do smear a bit. So hopefully Sam Fine can change those around as well. That company has long needed some modernity. Come on Sam Fine and get stuck into that job!

luvlydee

Does anyone know how colors correspond to the mac system? Im thinking i might be butterscotch but im not really sure. This will be my first time trying anything from this brand

Curly1908

I'd be interested to know also. I'm MAC NW47 which corresponds to Iman Earth 4/5/Earth Deep which according to Iman Cosmetics' site corresponds to Fashion Fair Perfect Brown. I don't remember wearing that shade back in the day, however. I believe I wore Sable or Nutmeg.

@luvlydee, I think Butterscotch might be too light for you. Back in the day, my mom wore Tawny, and she's lighter-complected than you.

To tell you the truth, none of these colors matched us perfectly, and we all were a red, ruddy mess so who knows if "back in the day" colors are accurate especially in light of the new foundation formulations lol.

luvlydee

I'd be interested to know also.  I'm MAC NW47 which corresponds to Iman Earth 4/5/Earth Deep which according to Iman Cosmetics' site corresponds to Fashion Fair Perfect Brown.  I don't remember wearing that shade back in the day, however.  I believe I wore Sable or Nutmeg. @luvlydee, I think Butterscotch might be too light for you.  Back in the day, my mom wore Tawny, and she's lighter-complected than you. To tell you the truth, none of these colors matched us perfectly, and we all were a red, ruddy mess so who knows if "back in the day" colors are accurate especially in light of the new foundation formulations lol.
I actually went into macys and tried the cream-powder foundations against the back part of my hand. Butterscotch seemed to match me the best. All the colors after that seemed darker and redder. Could be because im lightest now that its winter and i have neutral skintone and butterscotch was neutral also. I didnt try it all over the face so i could be wrong. But when i have more time imma go back and take pics of the swatches and actually get matched on my face

Oh wow, super surprised this thread hasn't been updated with the latest news. Allow me to rectify this right quick.

On Christmas, Sam Fine tweeted the above photo. He is finally releasing a makeup collection under the Fashion Fair name, which is due to debut at counters Spring 2013. Fatima Siad will be starring in the ad(s).

MAChostage

Well, I visited a FF counter a couple of weeks ago in a store in a larger city. I was surprised to see the updated products and look of the line overall. It looks way more sophisticated than it ever has. The new liquid mineral foundations come in a *vast* array of colors. Unfortunately for me, I was with someone who isn't much into makeup and was pretty much in a hurry to get to our next destination so I didn't have time to check out those foundation colors (and I really wanted to!). I *did* buy the lipstick in Sepia, which I think is part of the permanent line but was being showcased in their latest winter collection. I'd say it's worth going to take a totally new look at, since everything has changed so much in the line, especially if you haven't seen or worn the products in a while. They've got new colors and you might not even wear the same one you had been accustomed to. I'd love to hear some of your experiences with this latest makeover of the brand.

Curly1908

It sucks that there are virtually no online swatches of Sam Fine's collection.

Fashion Fair has to update its marketing techniques and send its swag to bloggers for reviews.

Latest posts