Fashion Fair

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LipstickLez
lmao.gif
He read FF fiercely! I'm saying though, can they get some new ads? And is it just me, or are all of their products matte? lmao Maybe I'm just seeing dusty Jet magazines.

I'm equally curious about the Fashion Fair "fashion fairs" ...but I need to just leave that alone.

OKAY! In the ads, the models faces are matte to the point of ashy. I am sorry to hate on Fashion Fair like this (although it is sooo easy), but I just don't understand how they manage to make the most unattractive ads. I have seen one that I though was decent, so I cut it out, but other than that...

And, it's not even as if their products are super cheap in terms of price, but I hear the "MAC is expensive" line from quite a few people including those that I know who wear FF. I don't get it.

LipstickLez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
OKAY! In the ads, the models faces are matte to the point of ashy. I am sorry to hate on Fashion Fair like this (although it is sooo easy), but I just don't understand how they manage to make the most unattractive ads. I have seen one that I though was decent, so I cut it out, but other than that...

And, it's not even as if their products are super cheap in terms of price, but I hear the "MAC is expensive" line from quite a few people including those that I know who wear FF. I don't get it.

My mother, bless her heart, was one of these "MAC is too expensive sorts" until I colluded with my friend Sunday to get her to the MAC counter at a Nordstrom's. My original goal: Get her into one of those nifty brush sets before they're gone. I figured some good brushes for $50 could do her a world of good. Well she got a brush set - then we started really workin' her and before I knew it, she'd gotten her first Margin and an eyeliner - Hodgepodge. We're talking about a woman who applies liquid eyeliner UNDER her eyes (NOT on the waterline!) and feels that this looks polished. So this was PROOOOOGRESS.

So why am I posting this here? Because my mother *sniffle* revealed that .... *cough, sniffle, growing heady* that...that she uses

FASHION FAIR FOUNDATION!!!!!!

*passes clean out*

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?MiCHiE?
I need to drag my mama to MAC one day. She needs some brushes BAAADDD!

Sad but true, I just pass the brushes that I no longer use on to my mom. I mean for what she is trying to do, they suffice, and it is def. better than whatever she was working with before. I even wash her brushes for her when I'm at home.

LipstickLez

Quote:
Sad but true, I just pass the brushes that I no longer use on to my mom. I mean for what she is trying to do, they suffice, and it is def. better than whatever she was working with before. I even wash her brushes for her when I'm at home.

Oh, The Mother (as I call her) doesn't wash brushes. But I can't front: Before my awakening last year, neither did I. However, I did NOT use those awful sponge tipped applicators for eyeshadow. I can't believe she even buys e/s that comes with those things.

Also applies foundation with a sponge. Not blends. APPLIES.

The only reason she came to the counter was because my friend Richard is a makeup queen. And women trust makeup queens. Plus we all just ended up at the same mall, which is rare because I lieve 90 miles away and my parents never go to that mall.

He suggested she didn't even need a foundation, just a good tinted moisturizer. I've offered to buy her one, but I didn't see any at the counter...

Twinkle_Twinkle

^^ Moms are a trip. I've been doing my mom's makeup lately (sans the swipe of black eye liner under the eye) and she's been getting compliments on her face. I told her it's because I left the black eye liner out, but she wont give up and insists "Everyone else is doing it". Now isn't that the logic our mothers taught us not to use?

PolyphonicLove

buahaha. you know what MY momma told me last night?

SHE'S BEEN USING THE SAME MASCARA FOR THREE YEARS.

"every time I use it my eyyyyyyyes burn, Sarah! HOW COME!? *tear*"
"what? seriously?"
"mhm! it be hurtin like hell!"
"hell, how long have you had it!??"
"...three years."

...*dies*

I ran in my room like whoa to offer her some lash exact and a sample diorshow, I tell you what. threw that other stuff out faster than nicole ritchie's extensions from her fat days, mhm.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyphonicLove
buahaha. you know what MY momma told me last night?

SHE'S BEEN USING THE SAME MASCARA FOR THREE YEARS.

"every time I use it my eyyyyyyyes burn, Sarah! HOW COME!? *tear*"
"what? seriously?"
"mhm! it be hurtin like hell!"
"hell, how long have you had it!??"
"...three years."

...*dies*

I ran in my room like whoa to offer her some lash exact and a sample diorshow, I tell you what. threw that other stuff out faster than nicole ritchie's extensions from her fat days, mhm.

3 years???? Was there any left in the tube?

PolyphonicLove

its hard to believe, but yeah! she only uses mascara when she's really gotta get gussied up, but holy hell. thats no more than six, seven months tops that you should keep it! no wonder she's as blind as a bat. >.<

LipstickLez

Quote:
^^ Moms are a trip. I've been doing my mom's makeup lately (sans the swipe of black eye liner under the eye) and she's been getting compliments on her face. I told her it's because I left the black eye liner out, but she wont give up and insists "Everyone else is doing it". Now isn't that the logic our mothers taught us not to use?

How old is your mother? That might have something to do with it.

My mother's 56. ANd she's REAL committed to that black eyeliner. Yesterday she was in a light brown one that she applied on the lashline. I say she needs some mascara, but baby steps I guess. I did peek into her purse and she had her Margin in there.

PolyphonicLove

I dont know about anyone else's mum on here, but my mum refuses to use black liner, only brown, and she's 32, so she's kinda hip on the times. Ive no clue about grammy, but she's 47! and I'd rather not know... *shudder*

aziza

Haha...this thread tickles me.
lol.gif
I actually work at a Fashion Fair counter and work with the stuff on a daily basis. In all honesty Fashion Fair does make a few nice products. Most of the other stuff is severly lacking.

Worth Getting IMO:

1) Blushes: (in the old rectangle pan) are absolutely beautiful. Pearly Paprika, Ginger Berry, Golden Sunset, Chocolate Chip, the Beauty Highlighter etc...they're all lovely and very very pigmented.

They've recenty repackaged the blushes into new containers but should still have the old tester units at the counters. Try em' out at the counter and purchase the old ones on E-bay if you love as much as I do
smiles.gif

2) True Finish Powder Foundation: 7 shades are offered....a few of them are too pink but the last three shades (FF5, FF6, FF7) are great. Great if you don't need a of coverage. It's really pretty buffed in with a brush.

3) Eyeshadows: Not as pigmented as UD of MUFE, but they're actually decent. A shade that I like is Golden Chestnut (a pretty soft gold).

4) Covertone Concealers and Powder: Very very waxy and a little hard to blend. Warm it up on you hand and pat on...great if you have really really dark circles. If you set it with the powder it doesn't budge. At all
lol.gif

Skip:

1) Lipstick: Beautiful colors (Knockout= perfection in a tube) but the formula and the smell truly suck. I can't take it. I'm thinking of having Three Custom Color duplicate some of my fav colors.

2) Foundations: We all know why.

3) Gloss: Average...there are so many better options out there.

Basically everything else. The company infuriates me. Next Saturday will be my last day working for the company and GOOD RIDDANCE! The Johnson family seriously need to get their shi* together.

I feel ya'll on the ugly unappealing ads. I don't understand.

braidey

I use a lot of products from Fashion Fair. I love the lipstick Confidence paired with MAC clear lipglass. I love all the blushes and eyeshadows. They also have good pressed powders (Walnut and Sable) and a pretty lipgloss (Sheerly Bronze) They also have good moisturizers.
I feel bad for Fashion Fair because everytime I go to Dillards or Belk there is never anyone at the counters except a few old ladies. They really need to step their game up because they have some good products.

MiCHiE

Wow. I thought lipsticks were the best things going for them. My sister had a few and "Radiant Red" was a staple of hers (It was beautiful on her.) I thought the lippies were wonderful, as far as color payoff, but I'm not a lipstick wearer.

aziza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
Wow. I thought lipsticks were the best things going for them. My sister had a few and "Radiant Red" was a staple of hers (It was beautiful on her.) I thought the lippies were wonderful, as far as color payoff, but I'm not a lipstick wearer.

To each their own ya' know? The fragrance, texture and the lasting time turns me off completely although the colors are great. It's actually kind of sad :confused: FF's colors plus Dior's formula (heck even MAC's
lol.gif
) would be pure heaven IMO.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumtingSweet
To each their own ya' know? The fragrance, texture and the lasting time turns me off completely although the colors are great. It's actually kind of sad:confused: FF's colors plus Dior's formula (heck even MAC's
lol.gif
) would be pure heaven IMO.

I agree, I tried to give one a chance, but it smelled like a crayon, and it wasn't smooth either, but I hate feeling like I am missing out on something good.

loveybgirl

Fashion Fair and Flori Roberts were the only two makeup lines that was available to me as a pre-teen/teenager. Boy, you could tell when someone had it FF on especially if they had oily skin. Their face looked look a neon sign from a mile away. It was so orange!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cant image anyone that still uses FF. So many mainstream cosmetic companies are making so many shades for WOC and address problems, like makeup that is oil-free, frangrance-free, sensitive skin, etc. Fashion Fair was more johnny come lately when they decided to change up some of their products.
The only thing that I truly love by FF is their Special Formula Body Lotion. This stuff rocks! It is pretty pricey for body lotion, but it is so worth it. If I didn't check out Jet magazine when I'm in line at Walmart, I wouln't think that they would still be advertising FF. Haven't been to Dillards in a very long time , and I usually buy my "fix" lotion online.

Was FF responsible for the WOC in wearing the black lipliner around their lips back in the 80's? Because it is where I had started to see that horrible look............................

korede2

My mum used to work at the Fashion fair counter in Selfridges in London before she had me. She swears by it.
I have some of their e/s just feel like i have to use a lot more to make the colours pop.

ShauntyXD

The first foundation i ever owned was from Fashion Fair. When i was in gr.7 my mom took me to get foundation and she brought me to the FF counter at the Bay. She never used foundation but knew it was for WOC, so it was her first thought. I can't even remember anything about the product i got....I guess i finished it and stuff, probably an o.k. colour. I didn't repurchase, so I guess that says something. All i know is for most WOC being seen at the FF counter is embarrassing as hell LOL

amber_j

I have a huge soft spot for Fashion Fair. Back in the day it was the only brand for WOC in the UK so my mother, sisters and all their friends wore it. I still use the Earth Red blush - it's a staple in my MU bag - and I'm planning to get a few lipsticks.

Am I the only person who misses the old pink packaging? Anyone? Anyone?
ssad.gif