Fashion vs. Makeup expenditures

user79

How do you allocate your funds when you have a makeup addiction, but you're also into fashion? Do you spend more on fashion (clothes, accessories, shoes, etc) or on your makeup collection? Can you curb your makeup addiction when you want to buy clothes?

As for myself, I'm at a point right now where I am really unsatisfied with my wardrobe. I finished my university and the life of a poor student, and entered the workforce and am working full time now. My salary doesn't allow me abundances of unlimited luxuries, but I feel like I don't want to spend any more money on makeup until I sort myself out with some new clothes and shoes.

I want to get a nice woolen winter coat that will look classy enough to wear to work, a pair of nice dark jeans, maybe a pair of leather boots, and some other things. On top of that, I have to save money to buy furniture for a new apartment so we can move. I'm going to try to stay strong and away from the collections at MAC until that urge is satisfied! I haven't bought anything since the A Muse & Technacolor collections, and I have enough makeup to last me a good long while.

What about you? Are you able to strike a balance or do you spend a decidedly larger amount on one category?

Shimmer

I'm pretty balanced. My wardrobe is honestly, I couldn't ask for it to be more well rounded except to add a nice jacket into the mix, and some pinstriped pants.

And since all I ever wear is trackpants/gym shorts and sport tops (of one style or another) all of my good stuff is in AWESOME shape. I'm also picky about what I buy, in that I don't buy much by way of 'trendy' stuff, only 'updated' stuff, so my clothes last.
smiles.gif

As for makeup, I have enough makeup that I shouldn't ever need to buy more (yet I do... LOL), but shoes? Shoes are my weakness.
smiles.gif

hyperRealGurl

i commmend u on ur choice to hold back on buying anymore MU.. considering u have more important things to buy/or focus on... on top of that congrats for finishing school.. ur mission is acomplished "clap clap" as for myself.... my cosmetics purchases has been limited,,, i quit my job 5 months ago and the only imcome comming in is from my husband.. so buying MAC is out of the question rigth now.. we have bills to pay and other importnant things to put our money twards. As for clothes i have an addiction to buying clothes also. I can understand at this point in ur life finishing school needing to buy clothes and furniture for ur new place is overwhemling... i say u can move into a place with minimal furniture and as time goes by u can always save to buy more... for clothes u need clothes to go to work expecially if u are working in a professional enviroment. All the things u mentioned above is reasonalble things to want. I say put money back each paycheck and build up ur wardrobe, buy things that u can mix and match with the clothes u already have. Its hard when u want to buy MU and clothes and other things.. If it were me....... i would def put aside the MU buying and focus more on buying some clothes...not like going crazy buying clothes.. only get the things u def need for work. I feel like maybe when u are settled into ur new place...... and have new clothes for work..... things will all fall in place.. "good things come to those who wait" i think its ture other ppl might disagree with me. But we cant have everything we want at once.

Juneplum

my wardrobe and cosmetic addiction is pretty well balanced too... for my wardrobe, i always always go for classic items that will NEVER go out of style, then i add two or three trendy items . that way i can splurge more on the LE cosmetic items that i MUST have
lol.gif

Eoraptor

Well, I'm in the unique position of only beginning to buy either makeup or cute clothes a couple years ago. So only a fifth of my clothes are fashionable in any sense, thus I need a ton more. On the other hand, makeup is generally cheaper, and easier for me to wear in public, so I've accumulated a decent amount (nowhere near the collections of some of you girls though!). I only like going shopping with other people though, which means that doesn't happen often, as I don't have many local shopping buddies. And I have no one yet who's girly enough to go makeup shopping with me, which saves me the money I'd be spending on expensive makeup. So I allocate funds by having few spending opportunities.
winks.gif

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoraptor
Well, I'm in the unique position of only beginning to buy either makeup or cute clothes a couple years ago. So only a fifth of my clothes are fashionable in any sense, thus I need a ton more. On the other hand, makeup is generally cheaper, and easier for me to wear in public, so I've accumulated a decent amount (nowhere near the collections of some of you girls though!). I only like going shopping with other people though, which means that doesn't happen often, as I don't have many local shopping buddies. And I have no one yet who's girly enough to go makeup shopping with me, which saves me the money I'd be spending on expensive makeup. So I allocate funds by having few spending opportunities.
winks.gif

That is the best "fund allocating" strategy I have ever heard!!! I should try that!
clap.gif

Beauty Mark

Quote:
I want to get a nice woolen winter coat that will look classy enough to wear to work, a pair of nice dark jeans, maybe a pair of leather boots, and some other things. On top of that, I have to save money to buy furniture for a new apartment so we can move.

If you have any good second hand stores near you, I'd check them first.

I buy more clothes than makeup, because I need clothes more than makeup. The way I do it is that I treat myself to ONE item every now and then or set a cost limit for myself to spend on makeup. That way I don't really spend that much money on makeup, and I don't completely deprive myself

aeni

I buy more clothes than makeup. I keep a seperate account for work (makeup) related purchases only and all income from those jobs goes into that same account. One can never have too many clothes IMO and sometimes I don't want my makeup to compete for attention from my clothes.

Buy DIY or OOAK on ebay if you want. It's good for indie designers! Just check the shipping and see if they're not screwing with you on the "handling" fees. 2nd hand is good advice too.

aziza

At this point in my life I spend more a little more on MU than on clothes . I'm in college so the usual uniform is sneakers, flipflops, jeans, and nice t-shirts. On the flip side I'm trying to build a decent pro kit so that's where alot of my money goes. I am an avid bargain shopper though... so when I do shop I look for quality pieces that'll last. I am the mistress of all sale and clearance racks
rofl.gif

MacVirgin

Well i'm pretty balanced to. I make a budget for those things which are; shoes *comes first!*, clothes, bags *omg!* and jewelry *love it* and mu. I balance and comprimise. Like for instance during summer i by less clothes, so i can buy more of the other things i like. During the colder season is another story. I love coats and have to buy at least 2 and boots and other shoes. I work in a prof. environment too and have to look nice. But yea, i comprimise.

I totaly agree with hyperr at this oint you need your clothes more than mu.

Jacq-i

I mostlt spend my money on art supplies, makeup, clothes, and purses... Every now and then I'll buy stickers or something else that I don't need...

battipatti

Fashion for me = fabric since I'm a seamstress and prefer making stuff that will actually fit me well than just stop into a overpriced store.
Although I did just buy a really awesome olive jacket and elastic waistbelt, I couldn't help myself!

ebonyannette

Lately I have been spending way more on make up than clothes. But I really needed to, I let someone borrow my make up for a wedding and never got it back. I wasnt as "into" MAC as I am now but I had 4 Limited Edition Pallets (couldnt even tell you which ones) I was sooo upset I tried for months to get it back.
Then my friend got her Pro Card Membership renewed so I have been on a MU buying spree ever since!
the only thing I had left was Select Liquid Foundation, Studio Fix Powder, Smolder eye kohl and Spite Lipglass. So I was in dire need of some stuff!
Now that my collection is grown, Im somewhat satisfied now. of course with MAC you always want more and more. I never really knew the value of LE stuff until I started reading the posts on Specktra and seeing how hard it is to find certain colors. So this time NO ONE is touching my MU!!!

I loooove clothes shopping though, Im plus size so its hard to find alot of stuff so what I usually do is get basics and accessorize the crap out them.
I tend to buy alot of color cause it looks like you have more than you really do when you mix and match things. I usually can wear 1 item at least 3 different ways. People think I have a ton of clothes and a massive wardrobe but I really dont have that much I am just always mixing and matching things.
I like to rotate stuff too so maybe I will go for 3 or 4 months without wearing a particular shirt and then start wearing it again and people think its new.

For clothes I always go to Macys I can always find something there, Target and the Gap online goes up to plus sizes, and the Gap outlet (about 20 min away from me) goes up in plus sizes as well.

I looove places like Nordstrom Rack, Charlotte Russe, Target and Off Fifth (I go back and forth between high end and low end) for shoes. I can usually get a cute pair of shoes at one of those stores, since I wear a size 10 shoe, they are hard to find but now a days stores are getting better with the larger sizes.

I also have TONS of cheapie accessories. I go to this place in LA called "The garment district" its like blocks and blocks of stores, they have earrings for $1 and up, the shoes are usually $20 or so, and purses are dirt cheap (they carry knock offs too but who carries logo bags anymore anyways!) so I usually make a trip up there twice a year to stock up.

I am always hitting up Forever 21, Charlotte Russe, Brass Plum in Nordies for accessories. Its funny cause I walk in those places and of course the largest size they go up fits me like a cheerio, and the sales girls ignore me as I walk around I guess they figure I cant fit anything in there, and then when I end up buying a crap load of accessories they are instantly my best friend (heffas!).

I think its time for me to lay off the spending PERIOD! ha ha if its not one thing its another!

Indigowaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
How do you allocate your funds when you have a makeup addiction, but you're also into fashion? Do you spend more on fashion (clothes, accessories, shoes, etc) or on your makeup collection? Can you curb your makeup addiction when you want to buy clothes?

I want to get a nice woolen winter coat that will look classy enough to wear to work, a pair of nice dark jeans, maybe a pair of leather boots, and some other things.

What about you? Are you able to strike a balance or do you spend a decidedly larger amount on one category?

OMG! I NEED a wool pea coat soooo bad. My last 3 paychecks have gone to bills and MAC with a little left over for gas and food. I have to get some shoes now because (despite what people think about Florida not being cold) Winter is coming up and I don't have many closed-toe shoes. So I guess I'll be going shopping soon. (Plus I have to get my hair done.) Decisions, decisions.

ohhhhhthehorror

This is a tough one.
I usually try to hit up sales so that I can get more clothing for the money and I also check out the local thrift stores because they ALWAYS get brand name new clothing in.
With makeup there is never a sale on MAC so I just bite the bullet and pay retail and I try to his up the CCO's/CCS's whenever possible to get a discount on it.

Simply Elegant

I spend far more on clothes and shoes than makeup. Clothes and shoes are more expensive and I'm happy with my makeup collection right now anyway.

kaliraksha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneplum
my wardrobe and cosmetic addiction is pretty well balanced too... for my wardrobe, i always always go for classic items that will NEVER go out of style, then i add two or three trendy items . that way i can splurge more on the LE cosmetic items that i MUST have
lol.gif

This is me 100% I buy nice quality timeless items and add cheaper trendy items as they come and go. I figure you always feel like poo in whatever clothes if YOU aren't taken care of. Hair, face, nails etc. That's how I feel at least. I can feel like a million bucks in bum clothes if treated myself to nails, doing my hair and makeup.

~LadyLocks~

I know I'm alittle late...still wanted to comment.

Until recently, my addiction was and always has been shopping. Everytime I had some extra cash you better believe I was out spending it on the things I wanted but not necessarily needed in some cases. These days I'm a bit more responsible then I was in my earlier teens/20's. Then, It was really hard to juggle bills vs. shopping and sometimes I would say Fu@% the bills...imma buy this now and pay that later LOL.

Nowadays I only spend what I have left over from paying all my priorities first and sometimes the bills get the most of me so I have to put myself on the back burner until I can afford it again. Pampering myself doesn't come as easy as it was before since I have a daughter to care for now. First I make sure she has everything she needs, pampers, clothes, food, ect...then, if there's some extra cash I alternate. One check I'll get a cute blouse/shirt, next paycheck I'll buy some mu, next check I'll get some shoes...you get the point.

Spending has always been my downfall but at least now I can say I can afford my habit...sometimes at least
greengrin.gif

MzEmo

My situation is sooo easy. I have my mom pay for clothes and such and i pay for makeup. its as easy as that but sometimes she would buy me makeup. i feel so bad using her but hey she doesnt care. but i am grateful.