Fashion vs. Makeup expenditures

mAra

this is a really good question that ive thought about a lot and realized a pattern that ive been following for quite some time now [and i dont plan it or anything, it just happens]

i find myself going on a long makeup binge, then when i get my fill of it, i go on a long fashion binge, i dont say clothes because shoes, bags and accessories go along with it.

this MAC year for instance, i got a load of stuff from the collections all the way up to she shines also patternmaker, but then after that i stopped and switched to fashion until recently when formal black came out, so right now im transitioning because im already making future collection wishlists, but at the same time still into the fashion.. and i don't think i'll be stopping with the clothes either, winter is my favorite fashion season!

this month i bought 2 heels, 4 palettes and a pigment
blush-anim-cl.gif

oh ya! and when im on a fashion binge, i still swap so the m/u keeps on coming lol

litlaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
As for myself, I'm at a point right now where I am really unsatisfied with my wardrobe. I finished my university and the life of a poor student, and entered the workforce and am working full time now. My salary doesn't allow me abundances of unlimited luxuries, but I feel like I don't want to spend any more money on makeup until I sort myself out with some new clothes and shoes.

I'm in a similar position. I really got into makeup when I was still in school, and by now, I have a pretty decent collection, so I'm focusing on revamping my wardrobe. I've never been big on trends, but I have a lot of stuff that looks a bit young - flared jeans, baby tees, chunky shoes...

Over the past few years, I learned to embrace my girlyness, so I've been trying to buy more dresses, skirts and sleeker shoes. I've also been looking at more simple pieces, anything that can be dressed up or down. I aim for sophisticated but fun.

I tend to spend the most on jeans and shoes.

mzreyes

i just now realized that i have no clothes. well.. i do, but a lot, i've had for a long time.. and.. i have 3 pairs of shoes, and like 20 pairs of flip flops. im a minimalist when it comes to clothes. dont get me wrong, i love to shop for clothes, but it seems like i never have enough money becuase it all goes to my damn makeup. someone help me. lol.

redambition

i spend more on makeup and skin care.

when it comes to clothes, i can live with inexpensive things that last a season... that way i get to buy new things next season! i do have my set "classic" pieces though, and work clothes. they usually cost a bit more. i will always buy quality jeans, winter coats and suits though - because the fit is better.

quite often, the inexpensive pieces like shirts, t-shirts and casual skirts are similar to the expensive ones. why pay extra? they won't last forever, especially if they're a trend item.

i'm also a shoe addict, but i have curbed that a lot. i tend to go for fewer pairs of quality shoes, rather than masses of cheapie pairs that i never wear.

make-up... it can be used any time, with any outfit or to change the look of an outfit. it can make or break my work look, and make me look awake when im tired. of course i'm going to spend more on it!
winks.gif
i tend to avoid LE quite a bit, and only go for permanent colours. i'll only buy an LE shade if i'm sure that i will wear it. i might go gaga over the thought of a collection, but when i try the colours often i end up with much less than i thought i would buy.

Lessandes

haha exactely my problem....besides make-up I'm obsessed with shoes & clothing.....
And I can never ever spend just a bit of money....the problem is that I'm a student and don't have sooo much money.....*sigh*
That prevents me from beeing a MAC addict as well, I simply can't afford it....nevertheless I'm spending an enourmous amount of money on make-up & clothes.

I haven't found a solution for that problem yet.

But honestly....I love my shallow problems...^^

PRETTYGIRL26

nonono.gif
I generally spend more on make-up, but I've slowed down on buying make-up even though I was in the MAC Pro-Store on Saturday.
ssad.gif
I have to invest more on the wardrobe.
cutey.gif
Having a face that looks like a million bucks and the rest of you looks like a pickle is so not cute
nonono.gif

mollythedolly

Um, 2 letters: H&M.

I have quality items that I "splurge" on from time to time. This includes jeans, blazers, pants, and button-down shirts.

If I want to try an item to see if I'd wear it, I go to H&M or somewhere cheap and I get it there. If I wear it too much that it's fading, riping, pilling, etc, I replace it with a slightly more costly alternative. I usually don't do that, though, because it's pretty good quality.

Makeup? I'm good at limiting it generally. I think that if I ever spend more than $100 per month, I'd do a makeup starvation and live with what I had for at LEAST 2 months afterwords.

alien21xx

I buy clothes way more than I do make-up. I have a fondness for Filipino designers, so I'm always buying clothes from them, making my wardrobe composed of some really costly stuff. I also invest in jeans a lot because this is what I wear to work. I would never buy cheap jeans (I had the misfortune of having a fly button pop out once from a pair of cheap jeans. Since then, I only buy premium stuff)
I think this has influenced my make-up spending habits quite a lot: I've generally stopped buying expensive make-up and switched to mineral make-up. They're inexpensive, of good quality, and really great for my skin. I only ever buy from MAC when I need a new brush or when an LE item that I must have comes out, and recently, this hasn't been happening all too often.
To balance out these expenses, I try to minimize spending on accessories and bags by investing on good solitaire and pearl pieces that I can wear to almost any occasion.
However, I have no control whatsoever when it comes to shoes. My shoes define my day. LOL

baroquely

More money goes into makeup.

It's probably $4 spent on makeup for every $1 spent on clothing/shoes. And handbags are probably $2 spent for every $1 on clothing/shoes.

I have a fairly mixable wardrobe, but I always seem to get that, "Nothing to wear feeling." Probably would be remedied by buying less makeup and more clothes, but makeup is so much more fun to me. I'd rather stand in MAC for an hour playing than trying on jeans/whatever for an hour.

glam8babe

Well i dont really get money at all, i always get things bought for me from my boyfriend and family unless i get money for like my birthday/xmas or when my auntie gives me money as a treat.. i usually spend it on makeup and like 2 items of clothing, some skincare and a nice outfit for a night out. I never buy clothes anymore, i already have so much but because i love fashion i love being in style and up to date etc. And because MAC has like new LE collections every month i just HAVE to have it [not all of the collection, roughly about a half/quater or colours that would suit me]
So yeh i guess makeup comes first for me lol

When i get a job ill be buying more clothes and ofcourse MAKEUP!

darkishstar

More money goes into make-up these days.
I really need to update my shoes.. but I'm really happy with the clothing I have so far. I just need to mature it just a little?
greengrin.gif

purrtykitty

Since I'm in school and have no income, my husband gave me a monthly budget (an allowance, if you will) that I can spend on whatever I want. I probably spend more on makeup since I built up a pretty extensive wardrobe when I was working. I love to shop outlets whenever I can because there's great stuff at bargain prices. I also shop at the end of seasons and typically buy stuff that can flow from season to season. This past month, I think my budget went pretty equally between fashion and makeup.

damsel

i'm apt to spend more money on clothes, bags, shoes, jewelry etc.

i prob. have more than enough make-up with which to create a variety of looks. i just keep buying more because it's my latest obsession...

My rule of thumb is to spend more money on the things that gets used most often. Thus I can justify spending more on haircuts, foundation, basic working outfit (which isn't necessarily alot, mainly black jacket, slacks, a couple of shirts and an really nice coat). I think its worth the money to go a bit on the higher end because those are the items that are gets used almost everyday. When you find yourself have excess cash, then you can go crazy buying all the colorful cosmetics and accessories.

Simply Elegant

Definitely more on clothes, shoes, handbags etc. I have enough makeup and enough variety that I can do all of the looks that I like. Since I've lost weight I need new clothes so all of my extra money is going towards a new spring wardrobe.

nai

i live in hawaii so i only have a summer wardrobe which doesn't require as many articles. so i can spend more on my mu. but even if i lived elsewhere, i think mu is more important to me. lol. to me, i feel like even if i just wear tank top n jeans n flip flops as long as my hair and face is nice it makes everything look better

CantAffordMAC

I'd take makeup over clothes any day of the week.

I shop at certain clothing stores and usually get a lot of things on sale. because of my chest size, i find it hard to wear a lot of clothes. So I get basic t-shirts that i can mix up and jeans. I think that is one of the main reasons I'm not into fashion that much. Because I can spend the whole day looking through a Victorias Secret catalog, but none of those clothes will ever fit me. Plus they are super expensive, so why bother? I'd rather go to a cheaper (yet quality) store, buy the essentials and make do.

Makeup---you can never have enough lol. I am so into makeup its ridiculous. I can make an okay outfit work if necessary, and I can just wear jeans and a shirt. But if I add the right makeup to that...its perfect. Rather than having cheap makeup with a really nice outfit.

Maybe after I have abreast reduction I'll have to balance my fashion and makeup more.
yes.gif

Kuuipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nai
i live in hawaii so i only have a summer wardrobe which doesn't require as many articles. so i can spend more on my mu. but even if i lived elsewhere, i think mu is more important to me. lol. to me, i feel like even if i just wear tank top n jeans n flip flops as long as my hair and face is nice it makes everything look better

Same thing here. Solid color uniform for work, a pair of jeans or board shorts and a white t shirt or menswear for non work days. I spend way too much money on makeup.

Cosmopolitics

It used to be more money was spent on makeup than clothes and shoes.

Now that I've discovered a fourth or a third of my wardrobe didn't fit me (I bought a lot of those clothes a couple of years ago and about ten pounds lighter) or didn't flatter me, and have since taken it to Goodwill.

So that means most of my extra money has to be allotted towards clothes and shoes. I've already got a decent makeup collection anyway for the time being.

MsCocoa

This is so easy clothes lol, well shoes mainly; I like make up but I would give it up for shoes- as long as I have eyeliner, mascara, lipgloss and my MSF I'm good to go. So for me it's 90% fashion 10% make up...I balance it out.