Fashion vs. Makeup expenditures

athena123

I definitely spend more on clothing than makeup, and I also spend more on skincare staples than makeup. I usually stick to high quality classic wardrobe with a few seasonal trendy types to update it. I love shopping at Nordstorm's Rack, Marshall's and TJMaxx, and Off Fifth, can't stand paying full retail and the clothing I pick up at these outlets generally last a very long time.

I've found that many of my clothing that indicates dry clean only can actually be handwashed and dried flat, and for the rest of my dry clean only goods, Dryell home dry cleaning system works very well.

My next big expense is skincare and I only wish I would have focused on skincare instead of makeup a long time ago. My last priority is makeup, since they tend to be one time only buys and last a long time. If I have to choose between a new tube of lipstick and some more Vit. C serum, I'd definitely go with the Vit C since all makeup is going to look like total crap if the canvas that is my skin is in bad shape.

I'd love to get to the point where it's never am either/or thing and just buy everything I see!
smiles.gif

xoxprincessx0x

I try to balance things out by only buying the MAC limited edition collections so since they are only once a month I spend about $200 on makeup a month, which is STILL a lot lol but sometimes ill pass up collections i dont like and spend that money on clothes. It's expensive to be a girl!! lol

GlamYOURUs

I spend so much money on both. But I think I have more clothes. Actually, scratch that. I know I have more clothes than makeup but there is competition big time. Right now my latest obsession is makeup. I'll probably start shopping for clothes again once Uncle Sam sends me my check. lol

fash10nista

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollythedolly
Um, 2 letters: H&M.

I loooove this store!!! Recently, I've managed to snag two coats for $50, a classic trenchcoat (for the rain!) and a real cute wool coat...Not bad at all, IMO...
yahoo.gif

MU-wise, I try to curb my eye when looking at new MAC collections. I try to just buy what I would wear and not to give in to my normal impulsive nature! lol
But I have been known to give in once in a while, just can't resist MAC!!!...
tong.gif

Shoes and bags are definitely my weakness though....Love the Nine West outlet and my bags are mostly from bebe (only on sale) or through my hubby's generosity....
love.gif
!!!

ShauntyXD

Well, I've just recently been getting serious about makeup and I've had a long time jeans addiction. Soooo I definitely spend more on clothing...maybe that will change now that I'm obsessed with my face *kidding*

greengoesmoo

Size wise my clothing far outnumbers my MU collection 4 wardrobes vs one chest, value wise I think MU takes over.

I however have a LOT of clothing I simply cannot wear because of the size I was to the size I am, but I cannot part with a lot of it.

I only have 14 pairs of shoes including walking boots, beach shoes and gym trainers but I have a whole wardrobe (2 racks) full of miniskirts/short shorts.

kaliraksha

I suppose this is my updated answer. I feel like I have a lot of everything, and to be honest makeup recently just reminds me of something I already own. I can't justify buying any more clothes because I love my clothes and have a hard time parting with it and am running out of room. I've also been losing weight and want to wait until I absolutely need clothes. What I have been spending my money on when I want to buy something new are shoes and jewelry. Maybe because they're easier to store or aren't affected by losing weight?

I really really have to love something for me to bring it home now. That's my rule. If I don't want to rush home and find a place to wear it out, it's not coming home with me.

bubbleheart

I spend everything on makeup lol, and even when I mean to buy clothes it usually just ends up going on the latest mu lemming. It takes me so long to find clothes I like and then have them fit or be flattering. Plus I get annoyed with spending lots of money on clothes....too expensive and I dont get excited about buying new clothes the way I do about makeup lol. I love buying comfy weekend wear types of clothes but you have to drag me kicking and screaming to try to put the time and effort into finding work wear - I hate it.

BEA2LS

honestly i dont need make up for a long time. it either has to be special or a replacement of a staple.
same with clothes, i stock up seasonally with a few fresh items but do not need too much more.

tacobelle88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEA2LS
honestly i dont need make up for a long time. it either has to be special or a replacement of a staple.
same with clothes, i stock up seasonally with a few fresh items but do not need too much more.

oh how i wish i had the discipline like you to only buy makeup or clothes u need
yes.gif
...but i have a makeup addiction problem...i definetly spend more $$$ than clothes but i feel people look at your face more than what you wear so invest in that. i feel the some with shoes like peoples eyes dont linger on the ground and notice your shoes more often than your face so why invest in really expensive shoes????does that make any sense? hahaha

malvales

I spend my money much more on make-up! I tend to buy clothes from ebay, thrift stores and I love that because not only are they cheap, i can also get unique designs. Sometimes it is funny that I need to keep my budget under $10 for 1 clothing article but I dont mind spending $50 for a frickin' bronzer.

Shadowy Lady

I spend the same on both, which is a lot :/ I would say I spent slightly more on clothing since I finally have realized that I have too much makeup. I have a weakness for shift dresses and pumps. I cannot have enough of either.

Steel Magnolia

I spend quite a bit more on makeup as 5 days a week, I wear a school uniform. Although when I head off to uni next year that will all change and Ive a feeling Ill be going on mad shopping sprees!

I always want to buy new clothes but I know I wont get to wear them cause of my uniform. So I spend that money on makeup goodies instead!

CocoDeBody

That's Funny, Makeup Vs Fashion that is the question???
For me its more of what I'm in at the moment, like I will get a craze for something. I supplied myself with enough makeup for my own collection, that now since its the spring time I totally forgot what i had in my closet and I was like "I havent been shoping in forever" because all i brought was makeup so now I'm on fashion.

Ladies lets be friends add me!

DianeCoco

MrsAriGold

I have an addictive personality so I go through stages where for a couple of months I'll be addicted to buying clothes and nothing else and then the next couple of months I'll spend all my money on makeup.

I find it a lot easier to spend money on makeup than clothes though.

MissVain

Now, it's def fashion. My friends can't tell if I'm wearing a different shade of lipstick or eyeshadow, and obviously they can tell if I'm wearing a different top, or earrings :p

QueenBam

I am very ashamed to admit that i spend way too much money on clothes, especially compared to makeup. Instead of buying 2 things of makeup here and 2 things of makeup there at the store, i decided to put that money away and spend it on MAC b/c you're getting better stuff there anyway. so i make less trips there and buy more stuff.

As for clothes.... first and foremost I will say in my defense that I work in the fashion industry so i'm exposed to this stuff ALL DAY EVERY DAY! and so yes, i have spent 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 of my paychecks on clothes here and there.... sorry, gotta look nice! HOWEVER! I only buy stuff on sale. Can't tell you last time I paid full price for anything. my 40% employee discount comes in handy as well...... i just buy a LOT of stuff. that outfit in my profile pic? dress, shoes, belt, bracelets/bangles and necklace, i paid $21 for the whole thing.

i'm slightly embarrassed now lol

Simply Elegant

I spend way more on clothes. I've always liked fashion more than makeup pretty much. I'm happy with the makeup I have but never mind having an extra pair of shoes, another cardigan or little black dress etc

she

i spend more on clothes. i am addicted to shoes as well and feel SOOO embarassed when my friends talk about how i have more shoes than they've ever seen. when i was a kid my dad had to replace the wooden bar in my closet twice before getting a steel one because my clothes are overwhelming. i don't even remember HALF of what i purchase so doing laundry is like Christmas
smiles.gif
i actually feel guilty when i purchase MU and feel the need to balance it with clothes.

kimmietrinh

I definitely LOVE spending money on clothes and shoes...way more than makeup! I don't wear makeup that much although I like looking at it. I just can't bear the thought of shelling out $50 for one piece of makeup as opposed to an article of clothing. I'm doing spring cleaning now because there's so much I don't use or wear.