Hakuhodo - makers of MAC brushes

awickedshape

Hey guys, here are some of my fave eyeshadow blending brushes (mostly Hakuhodo with 3 others). The one on the bottom/right is J5523, which is very similar to MAC 217 (not really a blending brush, but I included it in the photos cause most of you know how 217 looks like, so you can get a better perception of size of the others when compared to J5523. :)  The brushes are (top to bottom/left to right): Hakuhodo Kokutan T Suqqu Eyeshadow M Le Metier de Beaute Crease Brush Hakuhodo G5529 Hakuhodo J146 Paula Dorf Sheer Crease Brush Hakuhodo J142 Hakuhodo G5522 Hakuhodo J5522 Hakuhodo J5523
Nice! I've been wavering between the J142 and J146.

DMcG9

Hey guys, here are some of my fave eyeshadow blending brushes (mostly Hakuhodo with 3 others). The one on the bottom/right is J5523, which is very similar to MAC 217 (not really a blending brush, but I included it in the photos cause most of you know how 217 looks like, so you can get a better perception of size of the others when compared to J5523. :)

The brushes are (top to bottom/left to right):

Hakuhodo Kokutan T
Suqqu Eyeshadow M
Le Metier de Beaute Crease Brush
Hakuhodo G5529
Hakuhodo J146
Paula Dorf Sheer Crease Brush
Hakuhodo J142
Hakuhodo G5522
Hakuhodo J5522
Hakuhodo J5523

Lovely collection.

karlaedith

Hey guys, here are some of my fave eyeshadow blending brushes (mostly Hakuhodo with 3 others). The one on the bottom/right is J5523, which is very similar to MAC 217 (not really a blending brush, but I included it in the photos cause most of you know how 217 looks like, so you can get a better perception of size of the others when compared to J5523. :)  The brushes are (top to bottom/left to right): Hakuhodo Kokutan T Suqqu Eyeshadow M Le Metier de Beaute Crease Brush Hakuhodo G5529 Hakuhodo J146 Paula Dorf Sheer Crease Brush Hakuhodo J142 Hakuhodo G5522 Hakuhodo J5522 Hakuhodo J5523
Thank you for sharing! I have the J142 and been thinking about getting the J146 but now that i see it next to the 5529 i think i like that one more :) btw i never been really interested in the kokutan series but that brush is GORGEOUS, can you tell me what do you use it for??

Kary9999

I have a question! What are the best bruhses you gals use to contour your cheekbones? The MAC 168-165 are too flimsy, the 168 too big and flimsy, 109 too small, the 163 too streaky and 116 well...it's for blush. I swear, none works! For the moment, I use the Marc Jacobs the shape brush, which recently came out. Oh I also tried the Kat von D shade & light brush, but again, too flimsy! Thanks for your suggestions!

shellygrrl

Staff member
I don't like rounded brushes for contouring. Oddly my current brush for powder contouring is MAC's 116. It does the job well enough for me, but it's a bit scratchy. (For cream, I like Real Techniques Expert Face.) I have my eye on Hakuhodo's G504. It's angled but it seems to have a much thinner profile than the 168. You could use the shorter bristles to deposit product and the larger ones to blend it out. http://www.hakuhodousa.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=116

Vineetha

I took some pics of my fav brushes whilst they were all clean!!
amuse.gif

Anat13

Hi all! Which brushes do you like best for cream blush? I've got some Face Stockholm blushes that are a very thin but highly pigmented cream--they seem almost liquid when you touch them. Would the Hakuhodo J544 be good, or would you recommend something else? And oh, my gosh--your collections are absolutely gorgeous!!!

Vicieux Rose

I usually use EMS. FedEx is too expensive! And japan ems is very fast and efficient, so I see no use of going for fedex.

Anat13

I'm also wondering what is best for:
1. Pressed powder highlighter (I use the lightest finishing powder in the Hourglass palette or the one in the Tarte Rainforest After Dark palette)
2. Pressed powder bronzer (I use the warmest finishing powder in the Hourglass palette or the one in the Tarte Rainforest After Dark palette)
3. Small crease brush--I'm guessing J146 is best?
4. Under-eye concealer

Vicieux Rose

I'm also wondering what is best for: 1. Pressed powder highlighter (I use the lightest finishing powder in the Hourglass palette or the one in the Tarte Rainforest After Dark palette) 2. Pressed powder bronzer (I use the warmest finishing powder in the Hourglass palette or the one in the Tarte Rainforest After Dark palette) 3. Small crease brush--I'm guessing J146 is best? 4. Under-eye concealer
Just wondering, do you only want to go for hakuhodo or are other japanese brush makers fine with you?

Anat13

Any Japanese brushes! I've got a couple of Koyudos, which I love, and have my eye on the Chikuhodo Takumis.

Vicieux Rose

Any Japanese brushes! I've got a couple of Koyudos, which I love, and have my eye on the Chikuhodo Takumis.
Ooh I have a few Koyudos too! I'M currently in love with the koyudo fu-pa 14. It's so so soft, squirrel hair! I find it a very multi purpose brush when it comes to powders because it's quite small. It applies powder products sheerly but can be built up to medium. I've used it with my hourglass powders as all over face and highlighter. I bet it can be used for bronzer too.

Anat13

Oh, wow--the Fu-Pa 14 is GORGEOUS! Ok, that is going on my list. I don't have any squirrel brushes yet--I mostly have white goat ones. I have three Koyudos (I forgot one earlier). The BP016 is phenomenal for powder blush, the C011p is a great pencil for the outer V, and I love the Fu-Pa 13p for blending liquid foundation--it's small so does well by nose and eyes but angled so you can cover more area at a time elsewhere. I'm particularly partial to the BP 016.