Hakuhodo - makers of MAC brushes

bwella

My brushes came!! I was so nervous they would get lost in the mail since I did'n pick the tracked delivery. I went for the J110 for blush in the end =)

J146, B5521 and J110

bwella

1cb0901a_image.jpeg
J146 and Mac 221

MiaMcc

Hi everyone! Hope you don't mind me jumping in with a Hakuhodo haul. I joined up because I now own some of these breathtaking brushes and I'm sure I'll have some questions about them. Im out to replace my entire bush collection. I've discovered the value of investing in quality products that will last. I was about to order from Mac until I learned about Hakuhodo! I'm so glad I did! Here is my first haul so far:
ea9730c9_image.jpeg
d877dcde_image.jpeg
(I'm returning two of these, the j103 and b532 because I don't feel they're necessities to me) Here are the beauties I'm keeping...
87201435_image.jpeg
Left to right: k002, k020, J5543, G503, J5522, J5523, J163hsh, and J007s. I ADORE them so far!! They're so much better than the few Mac I'd been using. But I do have a question - I washed the k002 before use, very gently in warm water with a gentle shampoo, and when it dried it was completely different. It became very fluffy and no longer slid over the skin, it is no longer silky! I thought blue squirrel hair was supposed to stay silky, so did I do something wrong? Should I try to condition it? The k020 which is the same hair did not fluff up nearly as much and still feels silky. I'm so disappointed because the k002 is much harder to use now and not as soft Any advice?

shellygrrl

Staff member
I ADORE them so far!! They're so much better than the few Mac I'd been using. But I do have a question - I washed the k002 before use, very gently in warm water with a gentle shampoo, and when it dried it was completely different. It became very fluffy and no longer slid over the skin, it is no longer silky! I thought blue squirrel hair was supposed to stay silky, so did I do something wrong? Should I try to condition it? The k020 which is the same hair did not fluff up nearly as much and still feels silky. I'm so disappointed because the k002 is much harder to use now and not as soft Any advice?
Definitely try conditioning it, to see what happens. :nods: Meanwhile, enjoy your new brushes!

allthingsglam

I will try the conditioning, thanks!  Does anyone paint over the font on the handles with nail polish to prevent fading? and have any of you had problems with staining of the white hairs?
Enjoy enjoy I paint over mines with polish because I find if I don't the letters fade quickly I have one brush for only two weeks and it fade I never had a problem with the white hairs brushes coming clean Only once and it was a Colourpop eyeshadow a dark color that stain my brush I had to wash it like 10 times before it came back white I love these brushes my fave Enjoy enjoy

shellygrrl

Staff member
Does anyone paint over the font on the handles with nail polish to prevent fading? and have any of you had problems with staining of the white hairs?
Yeah, I painted over mine with some clear nail polish. As for staining, I've had no issues with that at all.

bwella

Beautiful haul!
Maybe let the brush dry in a brush guard? I like my brushes fluffy but if you don't a brush guard might help.
As for staining I haven't had any problem yet, but I'm guessing they will in time. In my opinion a staind brush is better than a rough and overwashed brush ;) They are tools after all and meant to be used so have fun with them! :D

shellygrrl

Staff member
How often should i wash my brushes?
Sometimes you can get away with wiping your brushes off with a microfiber cloth or a paper towel in between uses, occasionally spot cleaning with a brush cleanser, then giving them a proper wash once a week. With face brushes, particularly foundation brushes, you may want to wash them after each use. (Ditto with beautyblenders and similar sponges.)

Anat13

Which Hakuhodos (or other brushes if relevant) do you all like for:
1. Cream blush (I have several Face Stockholms)
2. Highly pigmented powder blush (I've got IT cosmetics Magical in Mauve, and it is so easy to put too much on!)
Thanks!

(Oops, I guess I asked about the cream blush a while ago--ignore that if you already commented! Sorry!)

MiaMcc

I conditioned the k002 and it's much better, still not back to how silky it was but I'm much happier with it :) Still an amazing brush! Does anyone own the f527? I've been drooling over that one and know it would get tons of use every day but cannot bring myself to spend that much

MiaMcc

Which Hakuhodos (or other brushes if relevant) do you all like for: 1. Cream blush (I have several Face Stockholms) 2. Highly pigmented powder blush (I've got IT cosmetics Magical in Mauve, and it is so easy to put too much on!) Thanks! (Oops, I guess I asked about the cream blush a while ago--ignore that if you already commented! Sorry!)
The k020 works amazingly well for pigmented blush. I love how it picks up just the right amount and doesn't waste product. Not to mention it feels like silk

Texasgulfcoast

I'm ready for my next Hakuhodo. My thoughts are all over the place. I'm probably spending less than $100 so it might just be 1 brush that I will get right now.

Here are the brushes I currently own:
Hakuhodo: J5543, J5523, J5522, J5520, J146, J142

Koyudo :Fu-pa 14

Tom Ford: Foundation(I don't love)

Wayne Goss: #3, #4, #13, #19, #20

What should I add next. I'm thinking Hakuhodo...
G5557 or J4004 or small Itabke or something else.

Other brushes I use a lot the Tarte foundation Kabuki, I'm ordering some Smith Cosmetic Brushes to try.

What am I missing?

MiaMcc

Does anyone own the black fan?
I'm wondering if it's as soft as pure squirrel and how it works as an alternative to a full size finishing brush? Also just how big it is? I'm debating between the black fan and the Kokutan finishing L. Thoughts?

Latest posts