Hakuhodo - makers of MAC brushes

cindypltnm81

Ill post more of my brushes, you are going to love the g503 it's perfect for contouring its really dense and soft and blends like a dream
I'm glad you mentioned the g503, because I picked that one solely for contour blush look!! I'm sure you know how overwhelming looking for the ideal brush on that site because everything you want!! But the prices are staggering at times! I'm no novice when it comes to makeup application so Im all about quality brushes! Not scratchy brushes! lol

LC Balthazar

Waiting for my shipment: G503 Blush Brush L angled J531 Powder & Blush Brush L Angled J5543 Blush Brush Round & Flat I will update these with my S142, S146, S100(which I wish I purchased the S110).
Ill post more of my brushes, you are going to love the g503 it's perfect for contouring its really dense and soft and blends like a dream
Can one of you ladies share a pic of the g503 in your hand? I want a better idea of the size. Thank you!

janette9687

I will update these with my S142, S146, S100(which I wish I purchased the S110)
nice choices! I hear that the g5543 is great dupe for the tom ford cream brush but more dense. I was debating getting this for bronzer but i have the 103 from the basics series
[which is similar to the s103 but not in the gold and red handle in case other people on this forum didnt know :)]

the also have a 142 and 146 in the j series its the goat hairs thats different but same shape, im OCD so i dont have any of the S100 series because i wanted all my brushes in black handles lol

janette9687

LC Balthazar:

i will try to do so tomorrow, its really short btw kind of like a short handle from mac, its late so i cant take any pics no lighting but i will try tomorrow, they may be dirty tho eeeek

cindypltnm81

nice choices! I hear that the g5543 is great dupe for the tom ford cream brush but more dense. I was debating getting this for bronzer but i have the 103 from the basics series [which is similar to the s103 but not in the gold and red handle in case other people on this forum didnt know :)] the also have a 142 and 146 in the j series its the goat hairs thats different but same shape, im OCD so i dont have any of the S100 series because i wanted all my brushes in black handles lol
See. I read the J5543 was similar to the Tom ford brush too on sweet temptations blog. Looks like you figured out all the S series with the G series. Economically smart and since you have OCD, different color handles wld drive you insane. I want the S110, but do you know if its a similar brush? How do you love the J142/146 versions? When did you start collecting? I started about 3 weeks ago and I'm determined to replace a few of my mac brushes. My 129 feels scratchy just applying blushes. I've had it almost 3 years...so I figure if I'm go for higher quality invest wisely:)

smokeyrose

Please stop talking about the J5543, my poor wallet! Wayne Goss says it's a great dupe for the Tom Ford blush brush, too! ( Search on YT: Tom Ford brush dupes)
Now I am deliberating if I should by the J5543 to use for blushes and the J110 to use with setting powders and bronzers.
sweatdrop.gif

Here are the Tom Ford <-> Hakuhodo brush dupes he mentions:
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Tom Ford Blush Brush -> J5543[/FONT]
Tom Ford Crease Brush -> J142
Tom Ford Eyeshadow Brush #11 -> J5523
Tom Ford Smokey Brush #14 -> G5514BkSl

How do you love the J142/146 versions? Are they squirrel hair as well?
I don't think they use squirrel hair in the J brush series, it is mostly goat or horse hair: http://sweetmakeuptemptations.com/2012/09/16/hakuhodo-j-series/

smokeyrose

Oops, I see you have edited your post so I guess you have found out on your own, cindy.
If you want the softest brushes, you should definately get blue squirrel brushes. I own the B505BkSl (blue squirrel & sokoho goat) and it is, beside the Chanel Les Beiges kabuki (synthetic), the softest brush in my collection. And I have swapped away most of my MAC face brushes (except 165) a long time ago because they are so scratchy.
Blue squirrel brushes do however give a rather sheer finish. Mixes with goat or horse hair are said to deposit more pigment, but still give a very soft look. I am very pale with transparent skin and find that these kind of brushes can give me a very diffused finish that other hair types can't. Just thought I should mention that, as darker skin tones that need more pigment as far as I know, so depending on the product used more layers would be needed.

Scroll down to the comparison post to see what I mean with very diffused, even compared to Yachiyo type brushes:
http://glossedintranslation.com/2011/12/07/comparison-hakuhodo-blush-brushes/

janette9687

Oops, I see you have edited your post so I guess you have found out on your own, cindy.
If you want the softest brushes, you should definately get blue squirrel brushes. I own the B505BkSl (blue squirrel & sokoho goat) and it is, beside the Chanel Les Beiges kabuki (synthetic), the softest brush in my collection. And I have swapped away most of my MAC face brushes (except 165) a long time ago because they are so scratchy.
Blue squirrel brushes do however give a rather sheer finish. Mixes with goat or horse hair are said to deposit more pigment, but still give a very soft look. I am very pale with transparent skin and find that these kind of brushes can give me a very diffused finish that other hair types can't. Just thought I should mention that, as darker skin tones that need more pigment as far as I know, so depending on the product used more layers would be needed.

Scroll down to the comparison post to see what I mean with very diffused, even compared to Yachiyo type brushes:
http://glossedintranslation.com/2011/12/07/comparison-hakuhodo-blush-brushes/
i have the k020 and its made of blue squirrel and its the softest brush i own but it was the first blush brush i got from hakuhodo and it does give the soft diffused brush like you mention, i think its becasue the bristles are so soft. I got the g5545 for my more pigmented blushes.

cindypltnm81

Oops, I see you have edited your post so I guess you have found out on your own, cindy.  If you want the softest brushes, you should definately get blue squirrel brushes. I own the B505BkSl (blue squirrel & sokoho goat)  and it is, beside the Chanel Les Beiges kabuki (synthetic), the softest brush in my collection. And I have swapped away most of my MAC face brushes (except 165) a long time ago because they are so scratchy.  Blue squirrel brushes do however give a rather sheer finish. Mixes with goat or horse hair are said to deposit more pigment, but still give a very soft look. I am very pale with transparent skin and find that these kind of brushes can give me a very diffused finish that other hair types can't. Just thought I should mention that, as darker skin tones that need more pigment as far as I know, so depending on the product used more layers would be needed. Scroll down to the comparison post to see what I mean with very diffused, even compared to Yachiyo type brushes: http://glossedintranslation.com/2011/12/07/comparison-hakuhodo-blush-brushes/
Smokeyrose, thank you for your informative feedback. The only squirrel hair brushes I have so far are my S142/146 eye brushes. As for face brushes...I chose the goat hair because I read it was best for the oily/combo skin types. I just hope it will work for me:) the squirrel hair is super soft but I think it wld be too soft to pick up product for me:) Oh heavenly yes, I had to grab the J5543 because it reviewed as being the Tom ford dupe!! I love Wayne Goss, man always knows what he talks about. I foresee this thread braking the wallet for sure! lol

janette9687

How do you love the J142/146 versions? When did you start collecting? I started about 3 weeks ago and I'm determined to replace a few of my mac brushes. My 129 feels scratchy just applying blushes. I've had it almost 3 years...so I figure if I'm go for higher quality invest wisely:)
i only have a few mac face brushes to begin with and mine were mostly the LE one. It started because I wanted another 165 and i found the hakuhodo a long time ago like 3 yrs ago but i kept thinking how expensive they were, but in reality the s100 series is the priciest the other ones are about the same range as any other mid- high end line.

I started buying hakuhodo about a year ago, I am a makeup lover at heart so i rather buy brushes then new shoes lol. I'm starting to replace mine with the hakuhodo dupes,i have dry sensitive skin and it really does help if I'm using softer brushes to less irritate my skin.

Sometimes they carry the same number like the s110 there is a version in the basic series its the b110. If I'm looking for a brush that is similar ill try and search it by the number minus the letter and it will show you what other series it carries it and if its in a set. I know the site can be overwhelming but they're all kind of repeats in each line :)

I almost got the b110 but i went for the g5545 because it is a mixture of blue squirrel and goat whereas the b110 is just goat. Keep in mind that the j series isn't dyed at all and it has the j110 and it will probably have more uses to you, i read something about that on sweet temptations blog as well. Her blog has helped me out immensely along with delicate hummingbirds and the non blonde for hakuhodo reviews.

the J142 and J146 are white goat hair but they're so soft and pick up pigment so well, they are like nicer white goat hair versions of the Louise young 38 series (i have those too) but also about the same size of the 226 but less scratchy and more slender. If you want bigger versions of these try out the g5522 or j5522 its a lot bigger and blends nicely

the 129 is so scratchy to begin with but i loved how it was my lil multi tasker. I still trying to find a dupe for it because the hakuhodo blush brushes Ive bought haven't spread out like the 129 so most of them are kind of tapered. I'm thinking I'm going to try a powder blush to dupe the 129 I probably wont get rid of my mac brushes because i still like their eye brushes a lot and i freelance once in a while i like to keep my hakuhodos for my own use.

I live in Okinawa japan and i have been trying to keep my eye out for them lol so far tho only thing i have found is a muji store! I would love to play with them in store.

cindypltnm81

i have the k020 and its made of blue squirrel and its the softest brush i own but it was the first blush brush i got from hakuhodo and it does give the soft diffused brush like you mention, i think its becasue the bristles are so soft. I got the g5545 for my more pigmented blushes. 
The squirrel hair is super soft to the touch...but after reading a few reviews, I chose not to get a face brush with that hair fearing its inability to pick up enough product like I wld want. I have a massive NARS blush collection and I use their #27 yaichyo brush. I think that hair is goat too, I think...I only have a few squirrel hair for eye brushes including my mufe 17S brush.

cindypltnm81

i only have a few mac face brushes to begin with and mine were mostly the LE one. It started because I wanted another 165 and i found the hakuhodo a long time ago like 3 yrs ago but i kept thinking how expensive they were, but in reality the s100 series is the priciest the other ones are about the same range as any other mid- high end line. I started buying hakuhodo about a year ago, I am a makeup lover at heart so i rather buy brushes then new shoes lol. I'm starting to replace mine with the hakuhodo dupes,i have dry sensitive skin and it really does help if I'm using softer brushes to less irritate my skin. Sometimes they carry the same number like the s110 there is a version in the basic series its the b110. If I'm looking for a brush that is similar ill try and search it by the number minus the letter and it will show you what other series it carries it and if its in a set. I know the site can be overwhelming but they're all kind of repeats in each line :) I almost got the b110 but i went for the g5545 because it is a mixture of blue squirrel and goat whereas the b110 is just goat. Keep in mind that the j series isn't dyed at all and it has the j110 and it will probably have more uses to you, i read something about that on sweet temptations blog as well. Her blog has helped me out immensely along with delicate hummingbirds and the non blonde for hakuhodo reviews.  the J142 and J146 are white goat hair but they're so soft and pick up pigment so well, they are like nicer white goat hair versions of the Louise young 38 series (i have those too) but also about the same size of the 226 but less scratchy and more slender. If you want bigger versions of these try out the g5522 or j5522 its a lot bigger and blends nicely the 129 is so scratchy to begin with but i loved how it was my lil multi tasker. I still trying to find a dupe for it because the hakuhodo blush brushes Ive bought haven't spread out like the 129 so most of them are kind of tapered. I'm thinking I'm going to try a powder blush to dupe the 129 I probably wont get rid of my mac brushes because i still like their eye brushes a lot and i freelance once in a while i like to keep my hakuhodos for my own use.  I live in Okinawa japan and i have been trying to keep my eye out for them lol so far tho only thing i have found is a muji store! I would love to play with them in store. 
You are awesome. Thank you for the lengthy response and informative feedback as well. It's probably much easier to get access to the brushes being stationed in Japan too:) when I was active Navy I traveled to sasebo, Japan and loved it too! Great tip, when you stated with dropping the letter and search just the number series. I think that will narrow it down for me. I found out the softer hair work better for dry skin and the goat is hair is geared toward oily skin types.

janette9687

b15749c0_image.jpeg
Top to bottom: B103 G5538 J110 G5545 K020 K001 G5521 (Mac 165 dupe) 210 (Mac 109 dupe) G503 Yachiyo Medium Pointed

janette9687

d4f8070d_image.jpeg
Sorry for the crappy quality I'm using my iPhone for these and it's pouring outside but it's the g503 I grabbed the fix + becuz the seem the same height. I'm 4'10 so I have some tiny hands lol just to show it's size

janette9687

ill try and post better quality pics with my dslr instead and hopefuly better lighting, sorry for the dirty brushes and feet cameo lol

i will post my eye brushes after lunch i woke up so late today. Im on leave (vacation) so im being an extra bum haha

i will try and post any comparisons if anyone needs them. I have most mac eye brushes with some nars, laura mericer and lousie young for comparisons.