How *NOT* to get hired at MAC

calbear

Ok so as someone who has gone from freelance to perm more than once, I wanted to start this thread to see what light can be shed on how to definitely NOT get hired at MAC.

#1 stopping by the counter/store asking for an application, with a stack of 9000 other mall store applications in your hand. That screams that you are not serious about MAC just serious about a mall job.

#2 Coming to the counter with absolutely no makeup on, EVER, and loudly disrespecting the the makeup on the MA's, the facecharts, or the position in general (ie 'I could do this job' even though you've never actually put on anyone else but yourself.)

#3 Dropping off a resume, being told the manager is not in right now - but calling every hour on the hour to ask if the manager is in now!

#4 coming to the counter and being snide, evil, stank, snarky to all the associates but putting on your serious happy face as soon as a manager walks out. Do you think we don't make sure they are aware that you were really rude to us.

#5 coming in as a regular customer, requesting an eye demo or full face, then walking up to a manager to talk about employment. When the manager compliments you on your makeup, all you say is thanx - and not that someone who already works here did it.

#6 getting on the freelance list and NEVER calling back when you are called to work (common courtesy would say to call back just to say 'no thanx')

#7 freelancing at a counter and becoming so comfortable that you are no longer helping customers but are on the counter phone on the sales floor 24/7 (or better yet, your cell phone) yes I just saw this last week!

I'll admit that I am just amazed at the stuff I have seen recently. We actually had a freelancer that was looking for a permanent position come in and do a MAJOR return ($200+) every few days. Not bad in and of itself but the products were all close to being empty.

Some of this just amazes me since everyone talks so ill of MAC's hiring process. I know how hard it can be - I know the stories of people who got a job cause they were in the right place at the right time and I know the stories of many who toiled for months and months, trying to get on. For every serious, well dressed, well made up-applicant, with a BANGING resume - there are 15 people who are just looking for a mall job. Add on the things you have seen.

Bernadette

I would say that 95% of people that ask if we are hiring are wearing either NO makeup or for some reason usually have the most crooked jacked liquid liner ever
th_dunno.gif

calbear

It's funny the other day I saw a thread on another board where someone was complaining about a MAC MA's chipped nail polish and all I could think was 'if you only knew what we normally see as applicants then her chipped nail polish wouldn't even phase you.

GreekChick

Giving your resume, but refusing to fill out the application forms that the MA hands to you. Your resume isn't enough, and acting like you don't have time to fill out all those applications, or that the process is tiring and annoying, all the while puffing and sighing, will definetly not get you a callback.

ms.marymac

1. I am going to echo #2 from Calbear. Coming to the counter and being arrogant-acting like you are better than everyone there and they should all be thrilled you graced them with a resume. Confidence is great, but there isn't a lot of room for high horses and big heads at most counters....and we will mention it to the manager.

2. Coming in to drop off an application/resume while on your cell phone!

3. Coming in to ask all the MAs how much they make, what kind of discount they get...and then saying you need to get on board because you want free makeup.

Triskele

Now here's a question - how do y'all feel about people who come in, drop off a resume, and take an application to be dropped off later? Is it better to do both at once? I ask only because I don't often have time to really sit down and fill out an application right then and there, but I -do- want to work for mac. Is there feelings on this one way or another?

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triskele
Now here's a question - how do y'all feel about people who come in, drop off a resume, and take an application to be dropped off later? Is it better to do both at once? I ask only because I don't often have time to really sit down and fill out an application right then and there, but I -do- want to work for mac. Is there feelings on this one way or another?

Not every location requires you to do them at the same time but if it were me, I would hold on to my resume, fill out the application and return with both in hand. Hoping that they don't get misplaced if dropped off seperately is useless - they will. Make it easy as possible for the manager to remember you and have your info in one place.

Also make sure you look stunning every time you make an entrance. Someone may remember that you dropped off your resume three days ago and point you out to a manager.

amoona

Ok this happened a couple of weeks ago - chick comes in with the token gay boyfriend and starts doing her make-up at the counter using her fingers and not sanitizing a damn thing. Then walks up to me and asks me why they haven't called her for an interview. Ummmm ... lets think shall we?! All the while the gay boyfriends is mean muggin me and loudly says "you should be working her, not her."

I think the #1 way not to get hired is coming in lookin busted! We will talk once you walk out the door. Not in a mean way but if you're tryin to be a MA for MAC then don't you think you should understand the concept of a 224? Or that wearing a teal shirt with matching teal eyeshadow isn't cute?

Or if you are a freelancer and you catch an attitude with a perm. employee, we will tell our managers because they want to know. I had a freelancer catch an attitude with me just the other day when I told her not to just hand product to customers while they walk away to another counter.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
3. Coming in to ask all the MAs how much they make, what kind of discount they get...and then saying you need to get on board because you want free makeup.

Sweet jesus, yes.

Can I add 'don't be a counter-stalker'? Whilst being enthusiastic about the company is awesome, practically knowing the home addresses of every person who works at the counter is just freaky. Those people make the worst hires. When management ask my opinion of you, all I can say is the Psycho 'eek eek eek' sound.

And if you do get hired, don't cop an attitude on your first day. Huffing and rolling your eyes fifteen minutes into your first shift when I ask you to clean some mirrors isn't exactly going to endear yourself to me.

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
#5 coming in as a regular customer, requesting an eye demo or full face, then walking up to a manager to talk about employment. When the manager compliments you on your makeup, all you say is thanx - and not that someone who already works here did it.

Ugh! This happened last week. I knew this girl was looking for a job-she had come in the day before looking for the manager & has since become one of those counter stalkers...So yeah, after she asked to see my manager, she asked me if I'd put some shadow on her before the manager came out. Are you kidding me!!
I threw on some colors over her jacked up liner...making sure to take long enough so my manager saw me doing her eyes, but not giving myself enough time to clean up the Swimming fallout, and sent her on her way.

calbear

thank you girl, I feel like no one ever believes me when I say that people do this all the time.

lilchocolatema

Scoring the interview...then wearing every color EXCEPT black on your body. Haven't you noticed that MAC artists wear all black?
hmm.gif
Big no-no. It might not seem that detrimental, but trust me, it is.

Scoring the interview...coming in wearing eye liner and some lipgloss. Come on now...

Katura

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
=

And if you do get hired, don't cop an attitude on your first day. Huffing and rolling your eyes fifteen minutes into your first shift when I ask you to clean some mirrors isn't exactly going to endear yourself to me.

j_absinthe

This thread has been quite helpful. I've been looking to make the jump from just booking stuff on my own to working with MAC for awhile and these guidelines have been extremely helpful-lucky for me, I don't believe in wearing sweats.

I do have a question though: I have a nice, clean resume, but how do I go about turning it in? I mean, do I just go to as many in the area as possible or should I just stick to 1 and hope for the best? Should I just apply at counters/stores that happen to hiring or take a chance and fork over my resume for the counter/store to have on file as is.

Also, would it be bad if I went in with Electric Eel colored eyebrows (>:p)?

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchocolatema
Scoring the interview...then wearing every color EXCEPT black on your body. Haven't you noticed that MAC artists wear all black?
hmm.gif
Big no-no. It might not seem that detrimental, but trust me, it is.

Scoring the interview...coming in wearing eye liner and some lipgloss. Come on now...

rofl.gif

giz2000

I "love" it when people come in to apply for positions and hand you a resume that they didn;t even bother to spellcheck. This one girl dropped off a resume the other day at a counter I was working at, and there were so many spelling and grammatical errors that the manager tossed the resume in the garbage. Just because it's not an executive job doesn't mean that the resume doesn;t have to be perfect. Get them proofread over and over again until there isn't even the tiniest error on them.

Katura

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_absinthe

Also, would it be bad if I went in with Electric Eel colored eyebrows (>:p)?

j_absinthe

LMAO! Yeah, I'm going to stick to more natural shades of eyebrows right now, but I'm itching to try out some technicolor brows. In my spare time of course
winks.gif

Latest posts